USAT Eliminating Grass Root Poomsae divisions for 14+BB at Nationals??

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys interpret the same thing as me?

"Sparring
•Athletes must compete in the age category according to the age he/she will be as of December 31, 2012.
•Color Belts (Grass Root only): 6+ year olds – All participants will qualify for the 2012 USAT Junior & Senior National Championships if they participate in a sanctioned 2012 State Championships.
•Black Belts (Grass Root only): 6-9 and 33+ year olds -- All participants will qualify for the 2012 USAT Junior & Senior National Championships if they compete in a sanctioned 2012 State Championships.
•Black Belts: 10-32 year olds – The top four finalists at a 2012 State Championships or USAT Regional Qualifier will qualify for World Class sparring divisions. All other participants will qualify for the Grass Root divisions.

Poomsae

•All individuals participating in a state championships will advance to the 2012 USAT Junior & Senior National Championships.
•14-99 year old Black Belts – The top 3 finalists at a 2012 State Championships or USAT Regional Qualifier will qualify for World Class Poomsae divisions.
•2012 U.S. National Poomsae Team Trials -- The World Class Poomsae divisions at the 2012 National Championships will serve as the 2012 U.S. National Team Trials."

It did not anything about the rest of the 14+BB who will not be in the top 4. Will they have any event to compete at Nationals? Is it either place top 4 to compete or nothing?

Is this wise of USAT to elimate the segment of people, 14+ BB, who wants to compete Poomsae as recreational only and the potential revenue earning?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think we should eliminate this two track system in favor of a single system, like we had before for poomsae and sparring.

OP
taekwondodo

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
So can you tell me that USAT is eliminating grass root divisions in Poomsae based on the clarification above? Example: for the 14-19 BB division (Jr M/F) in California, if there are 40+ kids try out at CA northern & Southern Qualifier. Only 8 goes to Nationals and competes. The rest either had to qualified at Regional and placed or goes to another state that gives them better chances.

If they decided not to go to another state to qualified, then then the 32 remaining Black Belts CANNOT competes at Nationals. Am I reading this correctly?

Any input??

TaekwondoDad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
•Black Belts: 10-32 year olds – The top four finalists at a 2012 State Championships or USAT Regional Qualifier will qualify for World Class sparring divisions. All other participants will qualify for the Grass Root divisions.

Read the underlined sentence. It specifically says all black belts 10-32 years old who compete at a state tournament and are not the top four qualifiers qualify for the Grass Root divisions. So, no worries.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Read the underlined sentence. It specifically says all black belts 10-32 years old who compete at a state tournament and are not the top four qualifiers qualify for the Grass Root divisions. So, no worries.

Yes, but that is for sparring. The poomsae section did not have that statement in there. Does the above cover poomsae as well as sparring?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
The best thing to do is to write to USAT and ask them. Their interpretation of their own rules is what counts and will stand. Whether that interpretation is "correct" and may be subject to a complaint or grievance is another issue. But I would first ask USAT for a clarification.

Latest Discussions