TKD in the UFC 144!!!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
UFC 144

Benson Henderson TKD BB and new Lightweight Champion of the World

Anthony Petis 3rd BB in tkd top contender. Won by KO on undercard. Never saw TKD mentioned so much on a UFC broadcast.

Irony I watched the fights with several BJJ BB's.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fancy tossing some links in My Face?
Not because I dont believe You or something, but so I can skim over it later, and Im sure others would too.
Id do it Myself but Ill be gone for a bit.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's not 'champion of the World', there's no such thing in MMA, he's the UFC champion. I don't see the irony I'm afraid. BJJ is the ground stuff, TKD would be the stand up, to be good at MMA you need both, neither on their own will do it.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
He's not 'champion of the World', there's no such thing in MMA, he's the UFC champion. I don't see the irony I'm afraid. BJJ is the ground stuff, TKD would be the stand up, to be good at MMA you need both, neither on their own will do it.

Why is there no such thing in MMA? There is in Baseball. America has the "World Series". Never seen a Japanese team in one.

Oh, and don't forget TKD I have heard about at least 842 Korean Instructors whom were "World Champions" in TKD;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is there no such thing in MMA? There is in Baseball. America has the "World Series". Never seen a Japanese team in one.

Oh, and don't forget TKD I have heard about at least 842 Korean Instructors whom were "World Champions" in TKD;)

Well I suppose you can have a world champion but every promotion will have one. There's no 'world' governing body like FIFA, LTA or the athletics equivilant so I guess anyone can call themselves a world champion if they want. It'll be the same as all those TKD world champions then lol!

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
In KKW WTF TKD, doesnt World Champion just mean Youve been in the World Championships, as oppose to being *the* World Champion?

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Huh. Ben never told me he took TKD. Weird learning tidbits about a guy you've known for years on the internet.

(Ben went to Decatur High School in Federal Way. We were on the wrestling team together.)

$uploadfromtaptalk1330271061532.jpg

He has come a long way and worked hard to get there. VERY proud of that guy.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
First of all I did not say that they used Tkd exclusively. Ben Henderson is also a BJJ brown belt and Pettis also has a great ground game. They definitely use all areas of mms.

They are tkd BB Joe Rogan mentioned it allot. I don't know if they are WTF, Itf or ATA.
Ben Henderson is half Korean and probably started TKD at a young age.

Tez3 you are right UFC Champion.

I don't know if either did sport tkd or are KKW BB all I know is that Joe Rogan mentioned that they are TKD BB allot. He was also mentioning the tkd techs that they were using in the fights. Pettis KO'd his Opponent with a high round house.

Last edited:
OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Josh then you watched the fight last night and heard Joe Rogan say it allot.

BTW mt son is a tkd BB never mentions it at school.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking him up it seems he may go a long way to show that MMA fighters aren't the thuggish, steroid 'eating' thugs they are so often portrayed as. Very cool!

Josh, does the guy with the jacket with the white sleeves on the left have a black eye?

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Actually, no. I didn't watch the fight.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A lot of people don't mention they do martial arts, it's nothing to do with what style they do so isn't TKD specific. It saves all those silly noises people make as well as waving their arms around in 'karate chops'!

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ten, yeah that's a black eye. It has been over a decade since we took that picture. I think that was in'98 or '99, but I am not sure.

Gorilla: you are right that he does TKD, but I am not sure if you are right on the south Korea thing. I remember him being born in Colorado, but I will ask him about it.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Josh you are right born in Colorado. Removed it from my post.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A lot of people don't mention they do martial arts, it's nothing to do with what style they do so isn't TKD specific. It saves all those silly noises people make as well as waving their arms around in 'karate chops'!

Yep

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nah, won't waste my time. I'll just ask him when he gets back from Japan. Interestingly, his Facebook (personal, not the fan page) lists Muay Thai, boxing, wrestling, and Brazilian jujitsu, but doesn't list taekwondo.

He took it when he was pretty young though. Just based on what I know of him and his Facebook... I would question just how much TKD influences his fighting nowadays.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The UFC is the major MMA promotion in the world. It is where everyone eventually wants to be. So it is in effect the de facto World Championship of MMA. However it certainly does not preclude another organization from claiming that they have world champions as well. Such is the nature of the beast of combative fighting organizations.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Josh let us know what he says...it will it will be interesting... clearly uses all of the mma... Muy Thai is clearly a part of it...wrestling, BJJ, and boxing also but he clearly throws tkd techs

Latest Discussions