Sport Poomsae and not well known changes

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
you know, I always had a problem with this. I came up where you learned YOUR form. not higher. A first DAN was supposed to take the time between DANS to master that form along with the other things needed to know between ranks. I see the Pros and Cons of this. The Pro is, we get to actually learn forms that we couldnt learn until we were too old to actually do it. The Cons, well simple, like I said people not taking the time to perfect a form. Always looking to the Higher form to do.

That being said, I cheated as a child. I watched the higher ranks do the forms and I practiced them at home. I knew them 2 and 3 belts higher than my current rank and always had them perfected before i got that rank. But this isnt for everyone. Sure there were exceptions, but some dont need to be confused with more stuff.

And I know what most will say, they shouldnt compete then cause they're not ready. Yes and NO. I wont let someone compete in a sparring division if I feel they arent ready, but forms?!?!?!? EVERYONE should compete in forms for one simple reason.... experience. Just like public speaking, people should experience the feel. It is part of your Martial Arts training. To be confronted by an overwhelming emotional state and control your body and mind.

"so local tournaments".... well, a regional is a local tournament. No surprise there but there is absolutely nothing special about a regional qualifier. I have been to local tournaments that were better run and had better competition. Its just another event. another oppurtunity to learn and control your emotions.

So where does that leave me?

good question. I'ma have to figure it out. I want everyone to enjoy the experience/terror of performing in front of people.... and I still want to keep my semi-traditional sense of your rank, your form.

rant over.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to disagree with you. When you play soccer, basketball etc you may not have the techniques of the pros but you know what the point of the game is ie in soccer to score goals and you know what to do to score goals, where the ball has to go etc.
If you do kata/forms without knowing what the point is ie the self defence and fighting moves they are teaching you, all you are doing is waving your arms and legs around in pretty patterns.
You don't aimless wander around with a ball in your hand in soccer so you don't aimlessly wander around in a kata/form in martial arts.
Point taken but it is still the same. You know what a kick or punch is as well as what a block is, so you know a bit more than just simple arm and leg waving movements. Just like the other sports mentioned you know what each technique is for. You may not know why it is an inside block vs. a high block and such for each technique. So I still believe that my analogy holds true. Also the reason is still the same as well, for fun. The only reason to compete in any sport is for fun.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding thick in the head. Sport poomse if you are a 45 to 48 years old, and a blue belt and wanting to compete in sports poomse you would have to know taguek 1 thru taguek 8 and black belt forms up to 7th dan?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding thick in the head. Sport poomse if you are a 45 to 48 years old, and a blue belt and wanting to compete in sports poomse you would have to know taguek 1 thru taguek 8 and black belt forms up to 7th dan?

No it is not for every belt and age just that certain 14-17 and 18-32 I believe.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Point taken but it is still the same. You know what a kick or punch is as well as what a block is, so you know a bit more than just simple arm and leg waving movements. Just like the other sports mentioned you know what each technique is for. You may not know why it is an inside block vs. a high block and such for each technique. So I still believe that my analogy holds true. Also the reason is still the same as well, for fun. The only reason to compete in any sport is for fun.

It's very frustrating, you know, when all people can see is a block or a kick/punch. This is what learning the kata/forms mean.

Knowing how to put your movements to good use is more than good fun, it could save your life, it's also the whole point of learning martial arts. It may be fun to learn to wave your arms and legs around but in that case why not take up gymnastics instead of truncating a perfectly good martial art and turning into a mockery of itself? Do Taebo or Boxercise. Martial arts 'lite', great fun but absolutely no use to man nor beast.

I'm not getting at you, ATC, I just find martial arts 'lite' so frustrating and basically pointless. The reasons for going into a sport are many though not just fun, I won't elaborate on any thoughts on that as it would distract from the OP.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's very frustrating, you know, when all people can see is a block or a kick/punch. This is what learning the kata/forms mean.

Knowing how to put your movements to good use is more than good fun, it could save your life, it's also the whole point of learning martial arts. It may be fun to learn to wave your arms and legs around but in that case why not take up gymnastics instead of truncating a perfectly good martial art and turning into a mockery of itself? Do Taebo or Boxercise. Martial arts 'lite', great fun but absolutely no use to man nor beast.

I'm not getting at you, ATC, I just find martial arts 'lite' so frustrating and basically pointless. The reasons for going into a sport are many though not just fun, I won't elaborate on any thoughts on that as it would distract from the OP.
That is the beauty of life. Not everyone wants nor gets the same things out of something. We should not let that frustrate us. We should understand and appreciate this and help each other do what it is that they are seeking.

I instruct many students and each are different. Some are there just because the parents need something for them to do. Some are there because their friends are there. Some because they want to get in shape and yet others because they like to compete and so on and so on...

Then there are different levels of each reason also. You may have two people that want to learn SD. But one wants to learn SD because he is being bullied or abused and needs to defend himself. The other may want to learn SD simply for his own pride. Both want to learn SD but one has a real need. Both should be taught but because one has a real need, he may take his training more seriously than the guy that just want to say he knows something. Teach both and let them get what they want out of the teachings.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's fine teaching them what they want as long as they understand what it is they are learning. The forms/pattern 'dancing ( I do mean dancing, someone posted a clip up recently) isn't going to teach your child how to defend themselves. As long as going through the motions however good is understood not to help you defend yourself I have no problem but I've had far too many people come through our club, our children are posted in and out with their parents, that have been doing this sort or kata/TKD lite and sincerely believe they can defend themselves and are over confident to the point of being dangerous about their abilities. They can do the fancy high kicks but can't spar, fight or even do any SD. I had a lady come in the other night, thinks shes being doing kick boxing for two years and would like to try a fight in a competition, she didn't know how to kick or punch but thought she could, she'd been doing boxercise.
If the instructors explain exactly what it is they are doing and the limitations I have no problems but I don't need more 10 year old high grades coming in and thinking they are all that when they haven't even got a basic idea.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had a lady come in the other night, thinks shes being doing kick boxing for two years and would like to try a fight in a competition, she didn't know how to kick or punch but thought she could, she'd been doing boxercise.
One of my son's friends gets boxercise daily; every time he takes the family's 90 pound/no-fat American boxer for a walk.

If the instructors explain exactly what it is they are doing and the limitations I have no problems but I don't need more 10 year old high grades coming in and thinking they are all that when they haven't even got a basic idea.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Daniel

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, in sport poomse, you do the whole set of forms, one after another? Does everyone do them at the same time? How does it work?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my son's friends gets boxercise daily; every time he takes the family's 90 pound/no-fat American boxer for a walk.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Daniel

I don't think he's doing the sort of boxercise that done here lol. It's aerobics with punching and kicking movements thrown in. No instruction on punching or how to kick but the ads for it says you can learn to defend yourself.

what you do should be made plain with no room for misunderstandings that could cost you your life.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know:) I had assumed that you were talking about what we call cardio kickboxing. I just couldn't resist the pun.:D

QFT.

Daniel

Yeah but I had to put in it words for those who would then jump on it and use it to beat me over the head lol!

I suppose I'm very simple when it comes to martial arts. The only question I think that counts is 'can you fight' lol! If you can't it's not martial arts but thats me!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's fine teaching them what they want as long as they understand what it is they are learning. The forms/pattern 'dancing ( I do mean dancing, someone posted a clip up recently) isn't going to teach your child how to defend themselves. As long as going through the motions however good is understood not to help you defend yourself I have no problem but I've had far too many people come through our club, our children are posted in and out with their parents, that have been doing this sort or kata/TKD lite and sincerely believe they can defend themselves and are over confident to the point of being dangerous about their abilities. They can do the fancy high kicks but can't spar, fight or even do any SD. I had a lady come in the other night, thinks shes being doing kick boxing for two years and would like to try a fight in a competition, she didn't know how to kick or punch but thought she could, she'd been doing boxercise.
I agree with every point you have stated. But when we look at it for what it is, it is not the students fault but the schools, teachers, and instructors that allowed or gave that false sense of knowledge and ability. If the student went in wanting to know how to defend themselves but got MA light, and was made to believe he got something else, then whose fault is that? I say not the students.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with every point you have stated. But when we look at it for what it is, it is not the students fault but the schools, teachers, and instructors that allowed or gave that false sense of knowledge and ability. If the student went in wanting to know how to defend themselves but got MA light, and was made to believe he got something else, then whose fault is that? I say not the students.

I was taking it as a given that everybody would know it was the instructors fault. There are no bad students, there are only bad instructors.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was taking it as a given that everybody would know it was the instructors fault. There are no bad students, there are only bad instructors.
Only if the instructor is promising something that he is not giving.

Any instructor that is teaching TaeBo or Cardio Kick Boxing and stating that it is SD or some MA that will help protect you should be shot. However if that is what they teach and they tell you that this is only an exercise class and not intended to help defend or protect you, but the student thinks other wise. Well then shame on that student and not the instructor.

Also I have seen my fair share of bad students. I have heard that saying many time myself and use to believe it, but I have since changed my mind. Any student that is forced to do what he or she does not want to do can be a bad student. Then there are just rotten people that can make a bad student.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only if the instructor is promising something that he is not giving.

Any instructor that is teaching TaeBo or Cardio Kick Boxing and stating that it is SD or some MA that will help protect you should be shot. However if that is what they teach and they tell you that this is only an exercise class and not intended to help defend or protect you, but the student thinks other wise. Well then shame on that student and not the instructor.

Also I have seen my fair share of bad students. I have heard that saying many time myself and use to believe it, but I have since changed my mind. Any student that is forced to do what he or she does not want to do can be a bad student. Then there are just rotten people that can make a bad student.

The rotten people make excellent students depending on what you're teaching lol!
those forced to do something aren't bad students they are sad students and I try to be as sympathetic as possible with them, finding something they will like to learn. The joy of doing MMA and TMA is that we can always find something students like doing.

I find people that do martial arts lite are under the impression, given by their instructors and also implied with the term 'martial arts' along with the name of the school/club,, the wearing of Gis, blackbelts etc, that they are doing a martial art that they can use for self defence.
I've seen too many that can do the gymnastics but not the fighting.

Latest Discussions