US Nationals in Austin, TX - Who all is going?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How do you all separate when you have multiple coaches? Coaches have different levels of experiences and parents know this. The more advanced the student, the higher the priority to receive more talented coaching? Or the student who has been at your school the longest? Just curious.

One more question, coaching fees? do you charge them? how do you decide how much?

I don't want to hijack the thread, so I can begin a new one if you want.

With us the priority goes with the belt are newer coaches that are 16-21 take on the younger ones and then are more experience coaches handle the mid belts and up. All of our coaches are BB under me so I believe they know what to do. As far as a fee yes this year we did and nobody had a problem with it, we charge twenty five dollars per player.

KGTKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As far as a fee yes this year we did and nobody had a problem with it, we charge twenty five dollars per player.

No matter the location of the tournament? So if it is across the country, you pay out of yoru own pocket to go and coach your students? If that is the case, is there a minimum of students for you to go and coach? As a small school owner, I would find it very difficult to foot a flight/meals/coaching pass/lodging for 2-3 students if they are paying 75.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No matter the location of the tournament? So if it is across the country, you pay out of yoru own pocket to go and coach your students? If that is the case, is there a minimum of students for you to go and coach? As a small school owner, I would find it very difficult to foot a flight/meals/coaching pass/lodging for 2-3 students if they are paying 75.

For me it is just for some extra cost like getting certified and doinf a few seminars, since my wife and three boys always compete I am there anyway. If I did not have my sons and wife going it would be an extra twenty five dollars a month to be on the fight team to off set my cost all year. Alot of school have this fee to help offset there traveling expense. Try the twenty five dollars a month to be on the competition team and maybe that will help.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Actually we have three coaches, however the other two are mostly for organization, keeping track of were everyone is at and as backup in case I cant make a ring on time. I was amazed last year when they held up rings for me so I could coach all the kids! After all that training its hard to let someone else do it.
As far as $$$ goes we charge the parents what our expenses are (about $150 each this year with plane tickets, lodging, coaching fees). Nothing more and often times allot less. If I did this to make money I might do things different but while we make our living from teaching the sport aspect is as much for me as for them!

One coach?! Wow, yes you will be on the run. Fun stuff.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually we have three coaches, however the other two are mostly for organization, keeping track of were everyone is at and as backup in case I cant make a ring on time. I was amazed last year when they held up rings for me so I could coach all the kids! After all that training its hard to let someone else do it.
As far as $$$ goes we charge the parents what our expenses are (about $150 each this year with plane tickets, lodging, coaching fees). Nothing more and often times allot less. If I did this to make money I might do things different but while we make our living from teaching the sport aspect is as much for me as for them!
Even with 3 coaches and 17 kids that is still a lot. I do not think they will hold up rings at this event, qualifiers yes. But still fun times ahead.

When you say you charge the parents $150, not sure what that means or pays for. It cost a lot more than $150 for air fare, hotel and food. We have the parent pay for their own kids and self. We actually have the parents pay for the coaches fees and everything for our GM.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
How do you all separate when you have multiple coaches? Coaches have different levels of experiences and parents know this. The more advanced the student, the higher the priority to receive more talented coaching? Or the student who has been at your school the longest? Just curious.

One more question, coaching fees? do you charge them? how do you decide how much?

I don't want to hijack the thread, so I can begin a new one if you want.

Right now it's myself and the head coach and his son who is started into coaching last year and is really good (tons of competition experience). We don't charge coaching fees (just doing this for the love of it). We try to find out from the competitor who they would prefer to coach them...then we do our best to be there for them. However, we make it clear that if tyhe coach they picked is otherwise unavailable, one of the other coaches will be there. So far everyone's been cool with that.

Peace,
Erik

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
$150 x 17 kids= $2550 pays for three flights, hotel and coaching passes.

Even with 3 coaches and 17 kids that is still a lot. I do not think they will hold up rings at this event, qualifiers yes. But still fun times ahead.

When you say you charge the parents $150, not sure what that means or pays for. It cost a lot more than $150 for air fare, hotel and food. We have the parent pay for their own kids and self. We actually have the parents pay for the coaches fees and everything for our GM.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Right now it's myself and the head coach and his son who is started into coaching last year and is really good (tons of competition experience). We don't charge coaching fees (just doing this for the love of it). We try to find out from the competitor who they would prefer to coach them...then we do our best to be there for them. However, we make it clear that if tyhe coach they picked is otherwise unavailable, one of the other coaches will be there. So far everyone's been cool with that.

Peace,
Erik

Another thing I forgot to mention is that there is a non-profti fund raising organization staffed by parents of the comp team kids. They run various fund raising activities throughout the year. these funds pay the entrance fee for at least one tounrament for each competitor thorughout the year. they also pay for caoching fees put out by us at nationals. Left over funds are split by the families goign to nationals to defray travel expenses.

Peace,
Erik

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The AOK State Championships were at the ACC last year. I believe there were 16 rings, and there was plenty of excess room, so it it's in the same part of the ACC, it should be a comfortable fit. I think the space is called the exhibit hall? Plenty of restrooms, too, which is an improvement over most places I go to tournaments.

I don't do TKD, but a lot of TKD people compete in AOK, so I suspect I'll see some familiar faces if I make it there. Hope I can. Maybe I'll volunteer...

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The AOK State Championships were at the ACC last year. I believe there were 16 rings, and there was plenty of excess room, so it it's in the same part of the ACC, it should be a comfortable fit. I think the space is called the exhibit hall? Plenty of restrooms, too, which is an improvement over most places I go to tournaments.

I don't do TKD, but a lot of TKD people compete in AOK, so I suspect I'll see some familiar faces if I make it there. Hope I can. Maybe I'll volunteer...

Yea we do about three AOK tournaments a year, they are a good tournament for some of my players.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What do you coaches charge for families with more than 1 kid? In otherwords, do you charge your coaching fee per kid or per family?

We charge per family but just curious what others are doing.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
we charge per kid,,, although last year the wife didnt bothe/forgot to collect so we ended up footing the bill.... not the first time but hopefully the last!

What do you coaches charge for families with more than 1 kid? In otherwords, do you charge your coaching fee per kid or per family?

We charge per family but just curious what others are doing.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our students parents have fund rasiers all year long for tournements that are out of state. Then from the fund rasiers they just pay for the coaches and the GM. If any money is left over they then split it up for each other. Usually the top fighters get the majority and then the rest is left to the others.

This way no one is coming out of there pockets for anything other than their own cost.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a question about the sport of TKD. Do any of the athletes make enough money from sponsorships, etc, to just train and compete full-time? I imagine the Lopez family might be the only ones.

How do those of you with children with Olympic dreams fund your training expenses?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a question about the sport of TKD. Do any of the athletes make enough money from sponsorships, etc, to just train and compete full-time? I imagine the Lopez family might be the only ones.

How do those of you with children with Olympic dreams fund your training expenses?
Lots of fund raisers and donations. Until the kids get good no one will sponser them. You have to win first and win the big tournements. You have to make a name for yourself first then the sponsers will come. Until then you are on your own.

Start young and win often. That is the only way. Get known by other schools and travel out side the U.S. as well. Win on the internaional circut.

Like anything you have to build a resume.

That's about it.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks, ATC. Is this the case in all countries? I'm curious if any country is still rolling out a Soviet sports type team where promising athletes are given enormous backing.

Latest Discussions