US Government says world not ending December 21

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So you can all rest easy now

The U.S. government wrote a helpful blog post on Monday titled, "Scary Rumors About the World Ending in 2012 Are Just Rumors."

The post on USA.gov says NASA scientists have received thousands of letters from people convinced that the world will end on Dec. 21, based on a misunderstanding of the ancient Mayan calendar that's been promulgated in doomsday message boards online. Some people think a giant comet will strike Earth that day, others that we are about to collide with another planet. A NASA scientist said he's received several letters from young people contemplating suicide because they believe the apocalypse is coming.

"The world will not end on December 21, 2012, or any day in 2012," the post says.

NASA released a video earlier this year explaining that the Mayan calendar does not actually predict the end of the world on Dec. 21, and that the myth that the planet "Nibiru" is heading toward Earth is easily disproved because astronomers have detected no such planet. America is not alone in trying to placate nervous doomsayers. The Russian government has made similar assurances to its people that the end of the world is not nigh, and authorities in France are planning to block access to a southern mountain which believers think could serve as a mystical place of refuge on Dec. 21.

Some doomsday groups are capitalizing on the fear by spreading the Dec. 21 myth online. A Belgian amateur astronomer named Patrick Geryl has set up an online community for people who follow him and believe the world will end in three weeks. He tells followers to stockpile 15 to 20 pairs of shoes and to be in good physical shape. Geryl declined an interview request, saying over email, "No time for interviews. ... Want to enjoy last weeks of our civilization."

To be honest I was not worried about it at all…but sense I rearely beleive anything they tell me….now I'm getting nervous :anic:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The world will not end, because I have not given my permission that it do so.

Rest easy. Keep me in chips, and we're good.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The suprising (and sad) thing is just how many otherwise intelligent people buy into this nonsense. I have a friend who is a very intelligent man. An MD with Dan ranks in TKD and Kenpo. And yet, he has bought into the Nibiru stuff. He actually pulled me aside the other day and told me that he'd been thinking about me, not because we've been friends for years, but specifically because it had occured to him that after most of the US sinks, it would be useful for SCUBA divers to go salvage gold/jewels/etc from the sunken cities.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The suprising (and sad) thing is just how many otherwise intelligent people buy into this nonsense. I have a friend who is a very intelligent man. An MD with Dan ranks in TKD and Kenpo. And yet, he has bought into the Nibiru stuff. He actually pulled me aside the other day and told me that he'd been thinking about me, not because we've been friends for years, but specifically because it had occured to him that after most of the US sinks, it would be useful for SCUBA divers to go salvage gold/jewels/etc from the sunken cities.
Now that is what I call, Turning a disadvantage into an advantage! :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Now that is what I call, Turning a disadvantage into an advantage! :)

My plan is to tell him that we're happy to provide salvage services, but that in order to do so properly, we're going to need to get in as much practice diving as possible before The Last Weeks. So between now and the Wobble, he needs to fund a few trips to various locations where we can practice diving under a wide variety of conditions...

I'm thinking Tulum, for cave diving and Chuuk Lagoon, for wreck diving. We need to practice in the overhead environments, with limited visibility...
Maybe Galapagos and Cozumel, for diving in currents.
Cocos Island off Costa Rica and Asutralias GBR, for practice around big pelagics...

Bring it ON, Nibiru! :D

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So its not the Mayans we have to fear its....its...the US Government!!

[yt]slKNd22GGaQ[/yt]

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So its not the Mayans we have to fear its....its...the US Government!!

All I can say is…..Wow!!! Bowie is 18 years Reznor’s senior and Reznor still can’t catch him :D

Thanks Carol, I have not heard that song for years and I like it.

GrandmasterP

Green Belt
Reaction score
I never believe anything any politician says so will be stocking up on supplies and updating TEOTWAWKI armoury.
:)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course, if the 'infinite multi-verses' theory is true, the world is constantly ending for some Earth in some universe. Any one of them could be ours at any time.

Not due to a flaky misunderstood Mayan prediction or calendar, but simply because, hey, worlds get collided with, irradiated, and otherwise blown the hell up all the time. In some universe, I'm already dead and so are you. No particular reason it won't be the one we live in today, or tomorrow, or the day after.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think most people are just having fun with the "end of the world" scenarios and don't actually believe it. However, some people are taking the jokes seriously and think those that are having too much fun should be marginalized as flunkies.

https://twitter.com/neiltyson

I follow him and I like most of his tweets, but the "Things you might say if you flunked Astro101" series were just annoying.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Mayans didn't take into account for Leap Years, and their calender year is a few days shorter than ours, so, the date they set.....is past due. No problem though, I'm sure people will come up with something else to worry about.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If only the government had done this prior to Y2K, rather than letting everyone run around screaming about planes falling out of the sky, missiles launching, etc...

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If only the government had done this prior to Y2K, rather than letting everyone run around screaming about planes falling out of the sky, missiles launching, etc...

I was in state security for Y2K and even though we pretty much knew the world was not coming to an end we were not sure something was not going to happen, meaning someone going off the deep end because of Y2K or some other human based idiocy or violence. We were on high alert and the city I was in had all of its police force out, even their SWAT team.

Now if the Feds had told us everything was going to be OK :anic:… I’m not sure any of us would have shown up for work out of fear for our lives :uhyeah:

Latest Discussions