NASA sez World Will NOT End 2012 ... whew!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lots of people are still skeptical about NASA's assurance that the world is not coming to an end Dec 21st 2012 like the Mayan calendar says. But this is the article and video attesting to why they think so.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33911941/ns/technology_and_science-science/

Some folks say NASA is wrong but that makes me frustrated just like Harry Stamper... "But you're NASA for crying outloud! I mean you put a man on the moon, you're the guys that think this **** up, I mean you probably got a room somewhere with guys sitting around just thinking **** up! And you say that this this isn't... aww geez!"

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
This 2012 crap is all "new age" western "doomsday" pulp fiction. The Maya themselves don't think the world is ending on 2012.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
If memory serves, it's not so much a "prophecy" of the end of the world. It's simply that the Mayan calendar stops with 2012. Their calendar works in a cyclical fashion and was etched onto stone. The last RECORDED cycle on ONE of the Mayan calendar (there are more than one, in fact...I think there were 3 or 4) is set to end on December of 2012. That's ALL. The STUPID hysteria over "The END of the World"....is ridiculous!! I t would be like me flipping to the back of my calendar and finding out that the LAST recorded month will be THIS DECEMBER!!!!! OH MY GOSH.... TIME is coming to a CLOSE!!!

The fact that some of their (the Mayans, ya know....the creators of that calendar) descriptions of the cycles themselves describe MORE cycles than that ONE calendar contains, with MORE coming after THIS cycle ends.
The fact that the calendar ends means nothing more than the fact that they ran out of space on THAT one piece of free-stone.

weirdos

:D
Your Brother (who DOES know that the sky is falling)
John

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"I don't have anything against the movie. It's the way it's been marketed and the way it exploits people's fears," NASA scientist David Morrison at the Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif., told Discovery News.

I think people are really, really worried about the world coming to an end. Kids are contemplating suicide. Adults tell me they can't sleep and can't stop crying. There are people who are really, really scared," he said.

You know we keep having those discussions here about how people are more than capable of telling fantasy from reality ... :faints:

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's kind of sad that NASA even had to say anything on the matter.
They had to... they'd been inundated with thousands of e-mails asking about the same question and so they couldn't get any REAL work done. Ergo they put out this statement to get on with their work.
Somewhere in the OP there is a link that has one of the spokespersons talking animatedly about finding water on the Moon, saying this is much more exciting than a two-thousand year old prophecy that isn't going to come true.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've said it in past posts, It never ceases to amaze me how f***ed up people are....

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, I guess I should cancel my plans to take out a big mortgage in January 2012 with no intention of paying it back :(

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, I guess I should cancel my plans to take out a big mortgage in January 2012 with no intention of paying it back :(

You mean you didn't already do that in the late 90s like nearly everyone else?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it weren't for my appalling laziness, I could make so much money off the 2012 nutters.

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well if a governmental agency tells me something - then I AM "A OKAY".
:uhyeah:

On another note didn't most of us just live through THE LAST APOLCALYPE ?

You know - does the date, 12/31/1999, ring a memory bell??

You all remember the hype - for a year I listened to Art Bell et. al talking about nuke power plants shutting down in September 1999 and no tap water on January 1st, 2000.

My disaster planning consisted of buying two extra cases of beer, two large packages of toilet paper - and filling my tub with water (for toilet flushing).

There's a pattern there - show's you where my mind was at!
:)

My employer, as many other large corporations, spent thousands of man hours on Y2K remediation testing however.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it weren't for my appalling laziness, I could make so much money off the 2012 nutters.

Ya think? There is definitely an uptrend in end-is-near purchases, but is there enough disposable income in that lot for a venture to be profitable?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ya think? There is definitely an uptrend in end-is-near purchases, but is there enough disposable income in that lot for a venture to be profitable?

Well, anyone who is in the market for end-is-near merch isn't exactly going to be saving for a rainy day, are they? I figure it's mostly the Whole Foods and Yoga crowd. If they can afford fair-trade coffee, they can afford my "2012 - The Experience" crap.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, anyone who is in the market for end-is-near merch isn't exactly going to be saving for a rainy day, are they? I figure it's mostly the Whole Foods and Yoga crowd. If they can afford fair-trade coffee, they can afford my "2012 - The Experience" crap.

They might if you advertise it as "Special Armageddon, one time only" with "Armageddon Price discounts"

Latest Discussions