NASA sez World Will NOT End 2012 ... whew!

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Never mind the Mayans - going back to Antebellum America, we had The Millerite Movement:

"The Great Disappointment was a major event in the history of the Millerite movement. a 19th century American Christian sect.

William Miller, a Baptist preacher, prophesied that Jesus Christ would return to the earth during the year 1844. A more specific date, that of October 22, 1844, was calculated by Samuel S. Snow. Although thousands of followers, some of whom had given away all of their possessions, awaited expectantly, Jesus did not appear as expected on the appointed day and as a result October 22, 1844, became known as the Great Disappointment."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Disappointment

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What I find most interesting about the whole thing is that the people who are worrying about are assuming that they'll be around in 2012 anyway. I could get hit by a truck on the way home and never even see tomorrow, why would I worry about something that's 2 years away? Why would people contemplate suicide, wouldn't the end of the world take care of that for them?

It just seems like such a waste, worrying about things you can't avoid.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well damn... I was looking forward to Armagedon.
So was I.

In fact, it was a key feature in my financial planning!

I've already been let down once by popular hysteria; all my debts were supposed to be set back to what they were in 1900 back on January 1, 2000. And they weren't! :tantrum:

Now, here I am, all happy thinking everything'll be fine so long as I make to December 12, 2012... and you're telling me that I'm still gonna have to worry about December 13th? :xtrmshock There ain't no justice! :angry:

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
So NASA says we're safe......Well, after watching:

FEMA in New Orleans....... Bush in Iraq........CDC with Swine Flu.....Congress with bail outs.....

Gonna start preparing for the Infernal Regions....

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This 2012 crap is all "new age" western "doomsday" pulp fiction. The Maya themselves don't think the world is ending on 2012.

This is true. The Mayan Long Calendar as it is called ends on the Winter Soltice (* December 21st *) 2012. That would be the end of the fourth age and the beginning of the 5th age.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
THAT'S IT :) !!!!!

But I would say "Armageddon Sale, Everything WILL go" :D

lol

Radio Spot: [Shouting] Starting this Sunday, Sunday, Sunday, Im a geddon, you a geddon, we all a geddon great deals at the Armageddon Sale! Come on down! [whisper] All sales final.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
lol

Radio Spot: [Shouting] Starting this Sunday, Sunday, Sunday, Im a geddon, you a geddon, we all a geddon great deals at the Armageddon Sale! Come on down! [whisper] All sales final.

Armageddon two of 'em!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is true. The Mayan Long Calendar as it is called ends on the Winter Soltice (* December 21st *) 2012. That would be the end of the fourth age and the beginning of the 5th age.

I would like to make a correction on the date above in 2012 it will be the end of the 5th age/cycle of the long calendar. The Long Calendar has five such ages or cycles for about 26000 years (* 25k and some change *). Each of the 5 ages is about 5k and some change.

So the "concern" is about the end of the 5th age and the long calendar. Oh no do we call it the 6th age or start over?

Hmmm earth is about 4.5 billion years old - divide that with the 26000 years for the long calendar. This is 173076.9 long calendar cycles.

I think I will bet on the there being the completion for 173077 and the 17378 begining. :) ;) :D

Latest Discussions