The year 2012, the end of the world?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
What year is that meteor scheduled to hit or nearly hit earth?

I just saw a news report about it on CNN the other day ...

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
What year is that meteor scheduled to hit or nearly hit earth?

I just saw a news report about it on CNN the other day ...

Say, maybe those Hale-Bopp guys were on to something? Maybe they went to be with the Mayans!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which is very strange is that the mayas had so many knowledge which got lost and which is still not found.

See, my problem is that, if the knowledge was lost and hasn't been found... what makes you say there was such knowledge? Remember in Pirates of the Carribean, when Jack Sparrow's fellow jailbirds near the beginning tell him about the Black Pearl, how there are stories about it travelling all over the world for the previous ten years raiding towns and leaving no one alive, and Jack raises his eyebrows and says, sardonically, `Wonder who'd be left to tell those stories, then'. Same difficulty, eh? :D

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I find all this stuff an interesting diversion.. at the end of the day though the old guy in the centre of town with the sandwich board proclaiming The End of the World is Nigh, is right - for me that is widely misinterpreted as religious rhetoric but is it not true insofar as for any one of us could kick the bucket tomorrow?? I know it is human nature but I think we are kind of conceited to believe we will even be here in five years or whatever.. So there :) Smile :D
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

OP
Zida'sukara

Zida'sukara

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is similar to the people who say "Wicca" is really thousands of years old (actually, it was invented in the 1950's by a British anthropologist). .

Well I dont think this is not true, wicca is the most religious part of the witchdom. They truly believe in a gods and goddess. Witches sometimes believe in them but not necessarily, one thing that they do believe is everything that is.

Raymond Buckland stated it very good. ancient people believed in a god of the hunt, this was the horned one. They believed in it because this god would bring them food. Many years later, many other gods came, god to be fruitile(hope i spell this right) and so on. These are ancient gods, very logical gods as all people needed something to keep them from getting insane. After that some people forced them into christianity. Their temples were ruined and churches were build on top of them as the same people that believed in their ancient gods were used as slaves, they put something to christianity that was still something from themselves, one example is the star which we see and use on christmas.

Indeed this believe is spreading very fast and most of the time only because it is almost fashion. young people feel attached to it and think they are in the "series". Ofcourse this is rediculous but these people will find their path. I am not into this religion but I do think a lot of their thoughts are right. Like their feeling of nature, we have lost this feeling, we do not listen to the voices of the forest but the forest can tell us a lot. This is the reason why I am interested in their believes. I do not believe in any god or goddes, I think our souls must learn from body to body but I think we can learn some lost knowledge from the wiccan.

A part out of the life of an Abafangool, the eternal student. ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Boy are we all going to look silly if 1 nanosecond after midnight on new years eve 2011 to 2012 if the world just goes POOF and disappears in a puff of logic.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Boy are we all going to look silly if 1 nanosecond after midnight on new years eve 2011 to 2012 if the world just goes POOF and disappears in a puff of logic.

Speak for yourself, apparently I'm going to be a transcendental being who is beyond such petty materialistic thinking....

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think we can learn some lost knowledge from the wiccan.

I hate being a pain in the ***, I really do. But (as per my previous post)since, as reported in Wikipedia, Wiccan `theology' is less than 100 years old, just how is any `lost' primaeval knowledge going to come from it?

There is one surprising bit of lost knowledge we may get from the founder of Wicca, however. Gerald Gardner, the colonial civil servant Heretic mentioned, published a book about traditional Malaysian weapons and MAs in the middle 1930s. He was something of an expert on them, and his book is, so far as I know, well-regarded by ethnologists. So he's not totally irrelevant to the dedicated focus of the board! :)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whilst the Maya do indeed seem to have vanished from history rather weirdly (thus rather dampening credability as master pre-destinators (made-up word?)) their calandar is an interesting subject for study, particularly as, as far as I am aware, it does not simply form an endless cycle as our (post-Gregorian) methods do. I may be mis-remembering as it's been quite a while since I read about this but I think the mayan cycle is a linear, one shot, deal with a defined beginning and end, whereby a complete spiritual evolution is supposed to become evident.

I might have to have a dig into this, given that I've mentioned the 2012 'end of time' datum myself a time or two in fora {and been peppered with Heretics Darts of Sarcasm for daring to :lol:} as I'm vastly better read on English and Japanese history compared to the odd factlet I know about South American cultures.

Anyhow, worry not, doomsday is on it's way, regardless of date. We're appreciating that climate change is afoot, with all the problems that will cause but on top of that we have the polar inversion (also currently underway, get out your Factor 5 Million sun lotion), asteroid impact, super volcanoes, oil stocks depletion, super diseases, plastic eating microbes, nano-tech machine plagues et al.

Plenty to fear, not many solutions ... so do what all martial artists naturally learn as they train. Deal with what you can :).

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Whilst the Maya do indeed seem to have vanished from history rather weirdly (thus rather dampening credability as master pre-destinators (made-up word?)) their calandar is an interesting subject for study, particularly as, as far as I am aware, it does not simply form an endless cycle as our (post-Gregorian) methods do. I may be mis-remembering as it's been quite a while since I read about this but I think the mayan cycle is a linear, one shot, deal with a defined beginning and end, whereby a complete spiritual evolution is supposed to become evident.

It has been a long long time since I had my Mesoamerican anthropology class, but I seem to recall that there were some indicators of previous baktun cycles on some of the stela, maybe as many as five.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, I knew I tried to cram too much into too few sentences :D. What I was badly expressing is that the calendar we know is for the current spiritual evolution. Each iteration of spiritual evolution supposedly has it's own tally.

Of course, I haven't had the benefit of actual tuition in the subject, so I'm perfectly happy to accede to your superior information on this as my knowledge is from a fairly casual interest.

Admittedly, desperate to salvage some credability, my reading was pre-internet, so I managed to avoid my initial impressions being affected by much of the 'fringe' stuff that has come out since. However, that also means that I've missed any developments in the core studies too (such as linguistics for one).

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
OH MY GOD!!!!

What is that bizarre thing that is supposed to represent the baktun of the Mayan Long Count Calender? Where did the names of the Baktun come from? I have a pretty good idea. It starts with new and ends with age. I wish these psuedo-spiritualists and aura-mummers would leave things they don't understand alone.

Having got that off my chest, the Mayan calender, like all those from Mesoamerica, are cyclical. So this particular version, which anthropologists call the Long Count, started about 3100 BC and ends in AD 2012. Does this mean the end of the world? Well yes. The Maya, Aztecs, Toltecs and others believed that there had been a number of worlds before this one and that this one would also eventually end. The main reason for human sacrifice was to keep the world going. But the gods would create a new world for their people.

Unfortunately, the Mayan calendrical cycles and culture in general were disrupted by the arrival of the Spanish so we can never know what they were intending to do about the future, if anything.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, I saw a history channel program not too many days ago talking about the same thing... kept thinking to myself... "should stick to my own beliefs and what it says in the bible... That no man knoweth the hour except the Father..." so they can go on all about that all they want... anybody remember the catastrophies predicted for Y2K? Boy, that turned out pretty accurate didn't it? :rolleyes:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OH MY GOD!!!!

What is that bizarre thing that is supposed to represent the baktun of the Mayan Long Count Calender? Where did the names of the Baktun come from? I have a pretty good idea. It starts with new and ends with age. I wish these psuedo-spiritualists and aura-mummers would leave things they don't understand alone.

Having got that off my chest, the Mayan calender, like all those from Mesoamerica, are cyclical. So this particular version, which anthropologists call the Long Count, started about 3100 BC and ends in AD 2012. Does this mean the end of the world? Well yes. The Maya, Aztecs, Toltecs and others believed that there had been a number of worlds before this one and that this one would also eventually end. The main reason for human sacrifice was to keep the world going. But the gods would create a new world for their people.

Unfortunately, the Mayan calendrical cycles and culture in general were disrupted by the arrival of the Spanish so we can never know what they were intending to do about the future, if anything.

Thank you for this I cqn't even figure out how to read the thing

I know little (very very little - and that is an over statement) about Mayan calenders but I was wondering where the House of Shang (I'm guessing not a Mayan name) with the Taiji came from and of course the mushroom cloud at the end.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... anybody remember the catastrophies predicted for Y2K? Boy, that turned out pretty accurate didn't it? :rolleyes:

Worked out pretty well for me - nice couple of grand bonus for being on stand-by cover just in case any of our systems went squeeky-pop-boom!

The only downside was being the only sober person in the room on New Years Eve ... :(.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you for this I cqn't even figure out how to read the thing

I know little (very very little - and that is an over statement) about Mayan calenders but I was wondering where the House of Shang (I'm guessing not a Mayan name) with the Taiji came from and of course the mushroom cloud at the end.

This reminds me of an interesting little piece of psuedo-anthropology done in China a few years ago. It was discovered that during the Qin dynasty an expedition of ships was sent out into the Pacific never to return. Now some clever fellow has taken the word indian (as in native American) chopped it up and come up with In Di An. This he claimed was some reference to the people if Qin. Isn't that cool.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This reminds me of an interesting little piece of psuedo-anthropology done in China a few years ago. It was discovered that during the Qin dynasty an expedition of ships was sent out into the Pacific never to return. Now some clever fellow has taken the word indian (as in native American) chopped it up and come up with In Di An. This he claimed was some reference to the people if Qin. Isn't that cool.

That is interesting and yes pretty cool, but I have not heard that one.

I did read once (and I beleive they might have mentined it on teh History Channel too), and this is a long story I will try and keep short, that during the end of the Qin dynasty that a (for lack of a better word) Duke of Qin formed a small kingdom, possibly on Japan.

The First Emperor Qin Shi Huang sent a lot of people of looking for the floating islands to get the elixir of life. One he sent was this Duke who knew if he returned and said "nope can't find them" he was going to die. So he returned and said he found them but the inhabitants demand, gold, women, and he would also need soldiers should they refuse. Qin Shi Huang gave him the whole nine yards and this Duke sailed off, never to return. It has been speculated that he made his own little dynasty in North Japan.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is interesting and yes pretty cool, but I have not heard that one.

I did read once (and I beleive they might have mentined it on teh History Channel too), and this is a long story I will try and keep short, that during the end of the Qin dynasty that a (for lack of a better word) Duke of Qin formed a small kingdom, possibly on Japan.

The First Emperor Qin Shi Huang sent a lot of people of looking for the floating islands to get the elixir of life. One he sent was this Duke who knew if he returned and said "nope can't find them" he was going to die. So he returned and said he found them but the inhabitants demand, gold, women, and he would also need soldiers should they refuse. Qin Shi Huang gave him the whole nine yards and this Duke sailed off, never to return. It has been speculated that he made his own little dynasty in North Japan.

Now that's a man who knew how to think through a sticky situation.

Latest Discussions