United States: What Are The Safest States?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't know how helpful these kinds of lists are. I mean, each one of our states is about the size of a country in Europe. City or at least county level stats seem more to the point. :)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how helpful these kinds of lists are. I mean, each one of our states is about the size of a country in Europe. City or at least county level stats seem more to the point. :)

Unless yer in Wyoming, which has a smaller population than the city of Albuquerque............

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Hey Steve,

Absolutely city and county statistics specialize more and are even more relevant to your everyday living. Still State and Nationwide stats give us perspective as well!

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And one city like Detroit or Chicago and your WHOLE State becomes "unsafe"?

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One city can certainly skew statistics and yet if we take a closer look at Michigan you will find multiple cities have issues:

These Are The 10 Most Dangerous Places In Michigan - Movoto

As you can see Detroit is third. What is interesting is that Saginaw is not on this list as that was as dangerous as anywhere for a long time and probably still is.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mind you I have either lived or worked in four of those cities. So like with any city you need to know where to be, how to behave and most importantly where to avoid. I lived in Detroit for four years and mostly loved it. Lots of super fond memories but...... I do have interesting stories about it as well.

BMhadoken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Unless yer in Wyoming, which has a smaller population than the city of Albuquerque............
I have a little theory that nobody actually lives in Wyoming. Met guys from 49 states working in the oil patch in ND. Hell, even ran into a guy I went to highschool with. Never met one guy from Wyoming.

And one city like Detroit or Chicago and your WHOLE State becomes "unsafe"?
To be fair, some of my soldier buddies who've been to Detroit had nicer things to say about Afghanistan.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which pretty much puts the whole of Australia on par with New Hampshire from that perspective. You'll be safe with us. ;)

Well from the impression I've got of Australia from some of the people on this board who claim to be from there, in Australia you aren't allowed to use weapons against an attacker but you can pound an attacker as if you're putting down a zombie from one of those horror movies/video games as long as you do it with your bare hands.

New York State rates as very unsafe. Im not surprised, in New York State you practically aren't allowed to use any level of force against an attacker in self defense. Therefore troublemakers are able to get away with victimizing innocent people because the innocent people aren't allowed to fight back.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well from the impression I've got of Australia from some of the people on this board who claim to be from there, in Australia you aren't allowed to use weapons against an attacker but you can pound an attacker as if you're putting down a zombie from one of those horror movies/video games as long as you do it with your bare hands.

New York State rates as very unsafe. Im not surprised, in New York State you practically aren't allowed to use any level of force against an attacker in self defense. Therefore troublemakers are able to get away with victimizing innocent people because the innocent people aren't allowed to fight back.
As a NYS LEO I can say that you have little knowledge of our self-defense law.

While our firearms restrictions are downright stupid, our self-defense law is actually not as restrictive as many believe.

article 35 the things worth believing in

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a little theory that nobody actually lives in Wyoming. Met guys from 49 states working in the oil patch in ND. Hell, even ran into a guy I went to highschool with. Never met one guy from Wyoming.

My mom's from Wyoming. I have an uncle (her brother)who lives in Wyoming still, and grew up there and went to H.S. with Dick Cheney, who's from....Wyoming. (Know what my uncle says about Dick Cheney? Dick Cheney......before he Dicks you!
rolling.gif
)
I also have a few other relatives-like an entire Indian reservation's worth, really-that live in Wyoming.

New York has no statute for "self-defense," as far as I know, and follows the reasonable and prudent doctrine in such cases.....what would a "reasonable person" do, under those circumstances, what was a "prudent action" for them to respond with.......35 years ago, without my even spending a minute in court, a D.A. and some other people decided it was "reasonable and prudent" for me to defend myself against a knife attack by inserting a pen into my assailant's neck.....repeatedly...killing him.

Pretty sure I'd have at least been charged with something in California back then....maybe in New York (city) now.....

Last edited:

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In most states (all of them as far as I know..) self-defense as a matter of law is a "defense". Which in simple terms means "Yes..I did something that would normally be illegal (killing a person), but I was legally justified in doing it because...".

-or in other defenses like insanity-"I did it but I can't be held criminally liable because..."

But as it's all a matter of "law" I don't bother splitting hairs.

Last edited:

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A little known fact about NY "Self-defense law" is that in NY Justification is an "ordinary defense" vs an "affirmative defense". This means that the State has to prove you didn't act in self-defense beyond a reasonable doubt. An affirmative defense State makes you have to prove you acted in self-defense by a preponderance of the evidence.

This is a point of confusion for some people when they say NY needs a "Castle Doctrine". NY doesn't need one.

Only a state where deadly use of force in self defense is considered an affirmative defense has the necessary leverage for Castle Doctrine. It's pretty much the same here for Stand Your Ground Laws. Don't need it.

http://www.sagepub.com/lippmanstudy/state/ny/Ch08_NewYork.pdf

BURDEN OF PROOF
New York is one of the jurisdictions in the United States where the prosecution retains the burden of persuasion. Justification is an ordinary, rather than affirmative, defense. The defendant has the burden of production, but does not have the burden of establishing his defense by a preponderance of the evidence. Rather, if the defendant’s burden of production is met, then the State must disprove the defense beyond a reasonable doubt. Ultimately, the judge has the duty to instruct the jury on the law of justification whenever the defendant presents evidence of justification in the case.6

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

For starters, I don't know why you would say 'claim to be from Australia'. I have trained with Chris, there is also on of his students here, another is the student of another friend of mine and DB has said enough to convince me he is from Australia. I think that just about covers us all.

As for not using weapons against an attacker. Well yes and no. People have defended themselves with a firearm, even an illegal, one and not been charged with an offence. As to your other claim that you can pound an attacker as if you're putting down a zombie, well that's just plain stupid. You can't.

In Australia you can't possess a weapon for the purpose of self defence but many people still have legal firearms. In terms of self defence you can use whatever weapon you can get your hands on and you can use whatever force is necessary to defend yourself or others and to a lessor extent property. The relevant term is 'proportionate' force and you can only use such force while the threat exists. I think you will find that is similar to most other places in world.

I'm surprised that you would claim that innocent people aren't allowed to fight back to defend themselves. Perhaps someone with less clouded views could enlighten us on that one.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a NYS LEO I can say that you have little knowledge of our self-defense law.

While our firearms restrictions are downright stupid, our self-defense law is actually not as restrictive as many believe.
I could be wrong but I heard in NYS if somebody attacks you, if you fight back and they end up being hurt worse than you, you will get in trouble even if they took the first punch or attacked you first.