Two Taekwondo contestants have altercation before contest

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Can it really be considered the Coach/Schools Responsibility to handle the Students Temper/Misconduct?

Another Dojang of the same Organisation of mine, kicked out a Red Belt recently, for using his Training to Bully people.
Apparently hed been doing it for Months.
The Instructer is Highly Respected, and NOONE was aware that he was doing it. Not even his Parents.
Is the Teacher, therefore, at fault?

This would need to be read into, before you point fingers at the Teacher.

Easy there, cowboy. Not pointing fingers at all. Asking for opinions as I'm both an athlete and coach. Just raising it for discussion.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Easy there, cowboy. Not pointing fingers at all. Asking for opinions as I'm both an athlete and coach. Just raising it for discussion.

Eh heh...
I didnt mean to sound like i was directing that at anyone specifically.

:s31: ...Have a Bumblebee? For Free? Especially, from Me?

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not big on lawsuits, but I sure would if it was my kid. Cut-and-dried case of long-term damage and cost resulting from the action of another. So here's an interesting question: Do you just sue the student/parents, or do you include the coach/school the student came from?

You can name whoever you want in a lawsuit, coaches, parents, teacher, referees, USAT, etc. However you will have to prove how they were responsible for this incident.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wouldn't the USAT Liability insurance pick it up as it did happen at their sanctioned event.
Not necessarily. I'm not sure how their insurance is structured, but since this incident did not take place during a match nor was it an accident that happened, they may not be covered for it.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well from what I understand USAT has to take steps to ensure the safety of all athletes. They may not be to blame but did they take enough precaution to keep there athletes from harm. I understand the kids left and then was let back on the floor, since is match was over why was he allowed back on the floor? Only athlete competing or ready to compete are suppose to be on the floor. Why was he allowed back into the competition area? I am not saying anybody did anything wrong just pointing out some things.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think a court battle would be ugly & expensive for the family. The USAT might want to settle it, tho. Hard to tell. If it were my kid, I'm not sure I'd want to put him through the fight.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i might be late, but on denise website she has listed where the little jerkoff got 8 months in a San Jose juvenile facility. then probey back in Fl.

so because his dumbass couldnt control his temper, he's gonna sit in a Juvey on the other end of the country for 8 months with no mommy and daddy visits unless they pay out the $$$$ to go for a visit. idiot.

http://www.recoiltkd.com/Black-belt-gets-8-months.html

thanks for the info denise.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i might be late, but on denise website she has listed where the little jerkoff got 8 months in a San Jose juvenile facility. then probey back in Fl.

so because his dumbass couldnt control his temper, he's gonna sit in a Juvey on the other end of the country for 8 months with no mommy and daddy visits unless they pay out the $$$$ to go for a visit. idiot.

http://www.recoiltkd.com/Black-belt-gets-8-months.html

thanks for the info denise.

oops, i am blind, didnt see post #132....

duh

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Good that he got jail time. Will send message to other idiots out there. Is a sport when u are in the ring. But who is really to blame? The security company for allowing him back on the floor? His coach for not preparing him or handling the loss correctly? His parents for not instilling better values/morals? In the end it was his poor decision that caused this. May he learn to be a better person.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good that he got jail time. Will send message to other idiots out there. Is a sport when u are in the ring. But who is really to blame? The security company for allowing him back on the floor? His coach for not preparing him or handling the loss correctly? His parents for not instilling better values/morals? In the end it was his poor decision that caused this. May he learn to be a better person.
To be fair, he may have been Stressed.
Stress is completely seperate to Morals, or Values.
It tends to overrule ones own Ideas in favor of sporadic ones.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To be fair, he may have been Stressed.
Stress is completely seperate to Morals, or Values.
It tends to overrule ones own Ideas in favor of sporadic ones.
Sorry but that is a extremely piss poor excuse. I can understand been stressed, I have been frustrated from a loss, but I have never walked up to an opponent or stranger and sucker punched (or kick as it is) him. He knew what he was doing was wrong, if not then that makes him a sociopath and he needs more than jail time.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry but that is a extremely piss poor excuse. I can understand been stressed, I have been frustrated from a loss, but I have never walked up to an opponent or stranger and sucker punched (or kick as it is) him. He knew what he was doing was wrong, if not then that makes him a sociopath and he needs more than jail time.
It may seem like a Piss Poor excuse to you - But then, some people go right on ahead and Cut Themselves out of Stress.
Some People consider Schoolyard Bullying to be the Result of Stress, being Outletted in the most Base Way the Person might know how, perhaps due to Conditions in their Home.
If im not Mistaken - Suicide Attempts have been made over Stress.

These are Hardly Rational Actions, either.

EDIT: And Sports can at times be Stressful, if enough Factors are against the Individual. And Different People React to things in Different Ways.

Last edited:

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It may seem like a Piss Poor excuse to you - But then, some people go right on ahead and Cut Themselves out of Stress.
Some People consider Schoolyard Bullying to be the Result of Stress, being Outletted in the most Base Way the Person might know how, perhaps due to Conditions in their Home.
If im not Mistaken - Suicide Attempts have been made over Stress.

These are Hardly Rational Actions, either.

EDIT: And Sports can at times be Stressful, if enough Factors are against the Individual. And Different People React to things in Different Ways.

And by that line of logic, everything negative we do can be related to stress. If I go out and rob someone it is due to stress of not having money. If I go out and rape someone is this due to stress not having any sex at home? I will concede that stress can trigger impulsive behavior but to allow it as an excuse on deliberate attacks or crime of opportunity opens up a floodgate for criminals to have something to blame their actions on.

Their are morals and values not being executed here. Even though the parents claim that this is not like him at all to do such a thing, he was intelligent enough to know what he was doing while he was doing it.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
And by that line of logic, everything negative we do can be related to stress. If I go out and rob someone it is due to stress of not having money. If I go out and rape someone is this due to stress not having any sex at home? I will concede that stress can trigger impulsive behavior but to allow it as an excuse on deliberate attacks or crime of opportunity opens up a floodgate for criminals to have something to blame their actions on.

Their are morals and values not being executed here. Even though the parents claim that this is not like him at all to do such a thing, he was intelligent enough to know what he was doing while he was doing it.
And now you are Exaggerating.

By Your Logic, this would mean that we should just ignore the existance of a Psychological Effect which can lead to;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_stress#Symptoms
So as to keep this Reply nice and short.

I never said he wouldnt know what he was doing.

But might one not say that an Attempted Suicide is a lack of the Base Human Instinct of Self Preservation, as well as a Lack of Morals for the People it would effect?
Ever seen someone put their Hand into a Solid Wall out of Anger?
Throw something accross a Room?
Shout at someone?
Smack their Head into something?
Panic Attacks?

They must all lack Morals and Values then, those Insane People.
Optionally, I could refer back to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggression#Culture.
Humans are Naturally Hostile.
We LEARN Self Control.
But Ultimately, theres still Violence. And Crime.
It doesnt make the Perpetrators lacking some Human Value.

Now, despite what you seem to have concluded, Stress isnt a Magical Card People can Draw when they have Issues.
It can be Medically Diagnosed, and is familiar to any Psychiatrist, and probably many Doctors, since it can cause Physical Pain.

Intelligence can hardly be a Factor either - Some of the Greatest Minds of both our Time and the Past had Tempers.
And they didnt exactly take Anger Management Classes.
And perhaps it was Anger.
Anger being a largely Chemical Process present Predominantly in Males, due to the Hypothalamus in the Male Brain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothalamus#Endocrine_hormones
It can be an Addiction, and a Serious Condition.
The same part of the Brain can cause someone to become addicted to Masturbation, or Sex.

Think what you will, but I am stating that these are Possibilities.
And if we were to prevent any Defendant from being able to claim such things, wed first need to Eradicate PTSD, and send any Soldier, or Victim, or any other such Mark whos Committed an Offense as a Result, to Prison. Where his State of Mind will Amplify, instead of be Improved.

I am stating this as a Viable Possibility. Not as an Excuse.
Even if someone is Influenced by Anger, or Stress, they are still Liable for their Actions. That was never in Question.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's with the Random Capital letters In Your posts. It makes them MUCH HARDER to rEaD!
Good Lord.
They are not Random.
Some Universities use a Report Standard which Capitolises some Words, based on Emphasis.
Im so used to doing it that its actually a more Comfortable/Natural way for me to Type :D

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good Lord.
They are not Random.
Some Universities use a Report Standard which Capitolises some Words, based on Emphasis.
Im so used to doing it that its actually a more Comfortable/Natural way for me to Type :D

Really? Do you have a reference from one of these universities for doing this? It seems very odd as it goes against all style documents I've ever seen (and as I've said, makes the sentence much less readable).

If you're doing it based on emphasis, replacing them with italics (the correct way of emphasising text) it still reads like you're over-emphasising too many words, e.g.:

"Some universities use a report standard which capitolises [SIC] some words, based on emphasis."

I've tried searching on Google for it, but there doesn't seem to be anyone else doing this (lots of articles talk about the bad points of capitalising entire words, but none about spreading initial capitals within sentences).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence_case

Anyway, this is a bit off point - just wanted to let you know that at least one person out there finds your posts harder to read because of it.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really? Do you have a reference from one of these universities for doing this? It seems very odd as it goes against all style documents I've ever seen (and as I've said, makes the sentence much less readable).

Well, I Apologise for Inconveniencing your Eyes, with the way Letters come accross. :)

If you're doing it based on emphasis, replacing them with italics (the correct way of emphasising text) it still reads like you're over-emphasising too many words, e.g.:

"Some universities use a report standard which capitolises [SIC] some words, based on emphasis."

The Correct way by some Approaches.
"There are however situations where further capitalization may be used to give added emphasis, for example in headings and titles or to pick out certain words (often using small capitals)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_case

I've tried searching on Google for it, but there doesn't seem to be anyone else doing this (lots of articles talk about the bad points of capitalising entire words, but none about spreading initial capitals within sentences).

Your not the First to Complain though. But then, some Type in Lower Case, because theyre more Comfortable with it. Its not Perfect, but Comfort is surely a factor.

Anyway, this is a bit off point - just wanted to let you know that at least one person out there finds your posts harder to read because of it.

My Heart goes out to You, Sir

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emphasis_(typography)#Capitalization
Note "Words Of Important Meaning".

I think its mainly them being Inparticular about whats Important and what isnt.
It has something to do with Title Style.
In any case, like I say - Comfort. Tis a Factor :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To be honest I find it hard to read as well, I've never known words to be capitalised for emphasis, correct English has always been italics or underlining for emphasis and capitals for proper nouns, pronouns and the start of sentences. Is it an American thing?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be honest I find it hard to read as well, I've never known words to be capitalised for emphasis, correct English has always been italics or underlining for emphasis and capitals for proper nouns, pronouns and the start of sentences. Is it an American thing?

I dont Live in America, and never have :)

I may perhaps be Biased, by not seeing how the way Letters are placed can Hinder your Ability to Read, but im certain youll Survive

Latest Discussions