Nationals - JO's

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Both my kids placed at Nationals again this year. My son got silver in his first year at 12-13 divison bantam weight.

My daughter took gold in 12-13 light weight divison. She moves to 14-17 next year. This is her second year in a row taking gold.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations to them and their coaches and parents. They've gotta do it themselves, but it takes a lot to get 'em to that moment.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations!!

Did the medals arrive by the time your kids competed?
Yes they did. The kids on the first day got trophies. Some traded them in for medals once they arrived.

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations! My son Dexter is just 5 months old, so I have wait little more before he will start compete..:)

/Markku P.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Both my kids placed at Nationals again this year. My son got silver in his first year at 12-13 divison bantam weight.

My daughter took gold in 12-13 light weight divison. She moves to 14-17 next year. This is her second year in a row taking gold.

No report on your son, but your daughter did fight someone from Hawaii in quarters and the coach told me that your daughter is very talented. He said the division was highly competitive and that your daughter should be very proud to have won gold this year. He spoke to your daughter briefly between matches I think and he found out she won last year too. The match was 1-0 but the Hawaii coach said that your daughter should actually have won the match 4-0 because they didn't score a some kicks. Congratulations. Anyway, your daughter katie is on our radar now..... :)

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
No report on your son, but your daughter did fight someone from Hawaii in quarters and the coach told me that your daughter is very talented. He said the division was highly competitive and that your daughter should be very proud to have won gold this year. He spoke to your daughter briefly between matches I think and he found out she won last year too. The match was 1-0 but the Hawaii coach said that your daughter should actually have won the match 4-0 because they didn't score a some kicks. Congratulations. Anyway, your daughter katie is on our radar now..... :)
Thanks, Yes this is her second time placing first. She placed at Bantam last year and Light this year. She will move to Feather next year and be in Chyenne Lewis's division. Will be tough next year but we have already started working on a new game plan for Chyenne. We watched all the 14-17 year olds and the Sr's as well. There were a couple that looked really good so it will be fun to see how she will match up.

My son is actually better than my daughter and should have placed 1st this year also but 2 of his head shots did not count in the finals and he gave up a shoulder shot that got counted as a head shot against him. It happens but it will only motivate him to get even better. He actually beat the person he lost to in the finals before 12-0 but the kid had a better game plan this time out. Our mistake and kudos to the kid for adjusting.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
My son is actually better than my daughter and should have placed 1st this year also but 2 of his head shots did not count in the finals and he gave up a shoulder shot that got counted as a head shot against him. It happens but it will only motivate him to get even better. He actually beat the person he lost to in the finals before 12-0 but the kid had a better game plan this time out. Our mistake and kudos to the kid for adjusting.

That sort of scouting becomes more intense the higher you go. By the time your kids are fighting in the senior divisions, all of the contenders will know their game. That's one of the reasons why we try not to put out videos on youtube, because we are only helping our competition by doing that. If they want to video tape us, then they can, but we try not to help them. At the WTF international events level, all the fights are now on the web.

Master Suh is a young coach, but I keep hearing good things about him. You are lucky in that you have a front row seat, witnessing his growth and development and benefiting from it. It's a good place to be, learning and progressing in that sort of environment. He is at least ten years from his peak.

Latest Discussions