Two Taekwondo contestants have altercation before contest

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And now you are Exaggerating.

By Your Logic, this would mean that we should just ignore the existance of a Psychological Effect which can lead to;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_stress#Symptoms
So as to keep this Reply nice and short.

I never said he wouldnt know what he was doing.
Not at all. I did say that I would not rule out a stress trigger if it was an heat of the moment reaction, but this was not the case.

But might one not say that an Attempted Suicide is a lack of the Base Human Instinct of Self Preservation, as well as a Lack of Morals for the People it would effect?
Only if your moral subscribe to such a thing. The Samurai would willing sacrifice themselves for not fulfilling their duties. Regardless of the effects it would have on their family. Buddhist monks willingly set themselves on fire during the Vietnam war in order make a statement. Their actions did not contradict their morals.

Ever seen someone put their Hand into a Solid Wall out of Anger?
Throw something accross a Room?
Shout at someone?
Smack their Head into something?
Panic Attacks?
Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. All of them are usually instantaneous reactions to stress. Panic attacks would not really belong to this group as it is an internal reaction and not something that causes one person to act out towards others or inanimate objects.

They must all lack Morals and Values then, those Insane People.
So now we are saying that this kid is mentally ill? Do not put words into my mouth as I never said that insane people lack morals. However, there are some who do. I suppose Jeffery Dahmer was just having a bad day? John Wayne Gasey was tense from having to put on that clown make-up?

But again, we cannot use morals as a base of an argument since different cultures would have a different moral mindset. The extreme Islamics believe that it is morally justify to kill others that do not follow their beliefs. (Please note I said EXTREME Islamics, not Muslims in general). Some extreme Christians feel it is morally justified to kill a doctor who performs abortions since they are saving future lives.

Optionally, I could refer back to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggression#Culture.
Humans are Naturally Hostile.
We LEARN Self Control.
But Ultimately, theres still Violence. And Crime.
It doesnt make the Perpetrators lacking some Human Value.

Yes I did a whole psychological term paper on nature vs nurture...(got an A. :) )

Now, despite what you seem to have concluded, Stress isnt a Magical Card People can Draw when they have Issues.
It can be Medically Diagnosed, and is familiar to any Psychiatrist, and probably many Doctors, since it can cause Physical Pain.
Never said it couldn't. I was on antidepressants at one time because of extreme amount of stress causing a depression....get this...I did not kick anyone in the face and I did not throw chairs at anything. What I did say was the use of stress as the triggering device in this particular case was a poor excuse.

Intelligence can hardly be a Factor either - Some of the Greatest Minds of both our Time and the Past had Tempers.
And they didnt exactly take Anger Management Classes.
And perhaps it was Anger.
Anger being a largely Chemical Process present Predominantly in Males, due to the Hypothalamus in the Male Brain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothalamus#Endocrine_hormones
It can be an Addiction, and a Serious Condition.
I do not disagree. Perhaps then the parents are to blame if this is the case. If he fell into this category then he would have shown signs of hostility prior to this incident. Perhaps he was being coached into this mindset from his father?

The same part of the Brain can cause someone to become addicted to Masturbation, or Sex.
Hey, leave my case study out of this. :)

Think what you will, but I am stating that these are Possibilities.
And if we were to prevent any Defendant from being able to claim such things, wed first need to Eradicate PTSD, and send any Soldier, or Victim, or any other such Mark whos Committed an Offense as a Result, to Prison. Where his State of Mind will Amplify, instead of be Improved.
You comparing apples to oranges here. PTSD and what this kid did are two entirely different things. And again, I never said I would dismiss stress as a factor. I said I would dismiss it in this case.

I am stating this as a Viable Possibility. Not as an Excuse.
This is where we disagree. I see using stress as the trigger an excuse in this case.
Even if someone is Influenced by Anger, or Stress, they are still Liable for their Actions. That was never in Question.[/QUOTE]

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not at all. I did say that I would not rule out a stress trigger if it was an heat of the moment reaction, but this was not the case.

Granted.

Only if your moral subscribe to such a thing. The Samurai would willing sacrifice themselves for not fulfilling their duties. Regardless of the effects it would have on their family. Buddhist monks willingly set themselves on fire during the Vietnam war in order make a statement. Their actions did not contradict their morals.

Yes, but their Morals were a Personal thing, not set by any Standard but that they Accepted.

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. All of them are usually instantaneous reactions to stress. Panic attacks would not really belong to this group as it is an internal reaction and not something that causes one person to act out towards others or inanimate objects.

That was just an Example. But Fair Enough.

So now we are saying that this kid is mentally ill? Do not put words into my mouth as I never said that insane people lack morals. However, there are some who do. I suppose Jeffery Dahmer was just having a bad day? John Wayne Gasey was tense from having to put on that clown make-up?

Not Mentally Ill. Just perhaps not in a Good Place. Or maybe hes just a Prick. Who knows!
I wasnt putting Words into your Mouth. I may, however, have Over-Interprited you somewhat.

But again, we cannot use morals as a base of an argument since different cultures would have a different moral mindset. The extreme Islamics believe that it is morally justify to kill others that do not follow their beliefs. (Please note I said EXTREME Islamics, not Muslims in general). Some extreme Christians feel it is morally justified to kill a doctor who performs abortions since they are saving future lives.

Granted. But to be Fair, I wasnt the one who brought up Ethics :)

Yes I did a whole psychological term paper on nature vs nurture...(got an A. :) )

Congratulations!

Never said it couldn't. I was on antidepressants at one time because of extreme amount of stress causing a depression....get this...I did not kick anyone in the face and I did not throw chairs at anything. What I did say was the use of stress as the triggering device in this particular case was a poor excuse.

My main Point, is that that is You. There is no One Preset Response. Some people get Numerous Symptoms, some people only get some, Some react completely unexpectedly.

I do not disagree. Perhaps then the parents are to blame if this is the case. If he fell into this category then he would have shown signs of hostility prior to this incident. Perhaps he was being coached into this mindset from his father?

Possible.

Hey, leave my case study out of this. :)

:p

You comparing apples to oranges here. PTSD and what this kid did are two entirely different things. And again, I never said I would dismiss stress as a factor. I said I would dismiss it in this case.

That may well be a Misunderstanding, due to the way Text can be Interprited. Ill just take your Word for it - Id only expect the same, if this were the other way around :)

This is where we disagree. I see using stress as the trigger an excuse in this case.
Even if someone is Influenced by Anger, or Stress, they are still Liable for their Actions. That was never in Question.

Now im a bit Confused - But not because of what you said. But because I kind of Contradicted myself at the end. Heh.
[/QUOTE]

Rational Discussion can go a long way. Yet again, this is why I like this Site.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Rational Discussion can go a long way. Yet again, this is why I like this Site.
:) Exactly....I have said it before, but I will say it here. Whenever I am posting I try to post like this is a discussion we are having over beers. So always keep that in mind when reading and buy the next round. ;)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
:) Exactly....I have said it before, but I will say it here. Whenever I am posting I try to post like this is a discussion we are having over beers. So always keep that in mind when reading and buy the next round. ;)
Well, everything I say is best read as though I were some Victorian Gentleman, Sipping Brandy whilst being Distracted by Scenery, and trying to have a Constructive Conversation at the same time. :)

Will that be Beer or Scotch?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont Live in America, and never have :)

I may perhaps be Biased, by not seeing how the way Letters are placed can Hinder your Ability to Read, but im certain youll Survive

I have problems reading the screen at the best of times, if the post is a longish one I have to print it out to read it so anything that makes it harder for my eyes doesn't make me happy! If the letters are the same size it is easier to read tbh. A capital letter at the start of sentences helps me see the sentences.
I ask if it's American because they do odd things to the English langauge!

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, everything I say is best read as though I were some Victorian Gentleman, Sipping Brandy whilst being Distracted by Scenery, and trying to have a Constructive Conversation at the same time. :)

I Might suggest Mr. Dickens, sipping Either a lot More Brandy or a Little Less with the Effect -Hopefully- of Homogenising All Your Letters, save for Capitalising Proper Names and Sentence Beginnings. Bravo :)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have problems reading the screen at the best of times, if the post is a longish one I have to print it out to read it so anything that makes it harder for my eyes doesn't make me happy! If the letters are the same size it is easier to read tbh. A capital letter at the start of sentences helps me see the sentences.
I ask if it's American because they do odd things to the English langauge!
Ah. That makes a bit more sense - I never really considered that.
If its any consollation, I do it alot less than I did, say, Two Months ago :)

I Might suggest Mr. Dickens, sipping Either a lot More Brandy or a Little Less with the Effect -Hopefully- of Homogenising All Your Letters, save for Capitalising Proper Names and Sentence Beginnings. Bravo :)

Well I do it alot less than I used to :D

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Both...duh. ha.ha.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah. That makes a bit more sense - I never really considered that.
If its any consollation, I do it alot less than I did, say, Two Months ago :)

Well I do it alot less than I used to :D

In MOD buildings they've had to have all the signs changed...at great cost..as all the words were in CAPITALS and they have to be small letters other than proper nouns starting with a capital for easier reading! Brits will be pleased to see where their taxes are going!

Perhaps that's why there was an altercation... the signage was wrong! I shouldn't suggest it really, you know someone, somewhere will see it as a reasonable excuse!

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
In MOD buildings they've had to have all the signs changed...at great cost..as all the words were in CAPITALS and they have to be small letters other than proper nouns starting with a capital for easier reading! Brits will be pleased to see where their taxes are going!

Perhaps that's why there was an altercation... the signage was wrong! I shouldn't suggest it really, you know someone, somewhere will see it as a reasonable excuse!

So If I Were To Do This, And Enough People Read It, I Might Start A Riot?

Hehe

Latest Discussions