True Parker?

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
My background in kenpo is mostly based on Shaolin Kempo but my instructor threw in a number of Parker techniques over the years. But he limited my Parker knowledge with only techniques that he felt were worth learning. I have taken it upon myself to learn the rest of the system as far as the techniques are concerned. Unfortunately, the closest Parker school in my area (that I'm aware of) is in Revere MA and since I'm married, with kids, and running a program of my own, I don't have the time to travel the hour and a half to learn from them.

So I am left with learning from books and videos, and yes, I know that that is not the ideal way to learn a system but it's all I have right now.

The two main sources of information I have are Jody Sasaki's video series and a collection of manuals written by Kevin and Eric Lamkin. I have copies of videos that go along with the manuals. I was wondering if anyone has read these manuals and if they would be considered true Parker. I have noticed that there are a lot of variations in the way the techniques are performed between Sasaki's tapes and the books. What I find myself doing is taking bits and pieces from both sources and mixing in my own kenpo concepts into the techniques.

I know that there is an electronic manual available from a Mr. Hale that is discussed on another thread. Should I invest in this or are the manuals that I have close enough to the true thing?

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As someone who is coming back into Kenpo... with very little base knowledge... it was receommended to me to get SGM Parkers Infinite Insight series (5 books)... and Mr. Wedlake's Kenpo 101 book... all available from AWMA...

I hope this is of help to you...

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Lamkin manuals are very good. My instructor used them as a reference for some of the extensions. That's about my only experience with them. I remember them being very well worded, pretty simple to follow.

OP
fnorfurfoot

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
As someone who is coming back into Kenpo... with very little base knowledge... it was receommended to me to get SGM Parkers Infinite Insight series (5 books)... and Mr. Wedlake's Kenpo 101 book... all available from AWMA...

I hope this is of help to you...

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew
I read the Infinite Insight series years ago. I should probably give it another go now that I know more about the techniques. I was wondering about that Kenpo 101 book. What does it cover?

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
a better option would be to nip over to kenponet.com they have full descriptions of all the techniques, with solid insights. also of the katas.

plus it's free.

i don't really recommend the infinite insights books. they're interesting kenpo artifacts, but the art has moved on substantially since they were published.

also, you can google for 'brian's kenpo page' or 'texas kenpo page', both of which have complete descriptions of techniques, sets and katas.

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering about that Kenpo 101 book. What does it cover?

Check HERE.

I'd post the description from AWMA... but, it might be a copyright violation to do so...

Also, I know that Parkerkarate has a copy; perhaps he'll chime in...

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
My background in kenpo is mostly based on Shaolin Kempo but my instructor threw in a number of Parker techniques over the years. But he limited my Parker knowledge with only techniques that he felt were worth learning. I have taken it upon myself to learn the rest of the system as far as the techniques are concerned. Unfortunately, the closest Parker school in my area (that I'm aware of) is in Revere MA and since I'm married, with kids, and running a program of my own, I don't have the time to travel the hour and a half to learn from them.

So I am left with learning from books and videos, and yes, I know that that is not the ideal way to learn a system but it's all I have right now.

The two main sources of information I have are Jody Sasaki's video series and a collection of manuals written by Kevin and Eric Lamkin. I have copies of videos that go along with the manuals. I was wondering if anyone has read these manuals and if they would be considered true Parker. I have noticed that there are a lot of variations in the way the techniques are performed between Sasaki's tapes and the books. What I find myself doing is taking bits and pieces from both sources and mixing in my own kenpo concepts into the techniques.

I know that there is an electronic manual available from a Mr. Hale that is discussed on another thread. Should I invest in this or are the manuals that I have close enough to the true thing?
There is nothing on the planet that comes close to the work the Mr. Hale has done to present the material electronically. Additionally, there is information there, I'm certain is not represented in other works. Had Mr. Parker lived, and decided to convert that material to a computer compatible format, I'm sure it would be just as Mr. Hale has presented it. If you disagree after making the purchase, I'll give you your money back myself.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
There is nothing on the planet that comes close to the work the Mr. Hale has done to present the material electronically. Additionally, there is information there, I'm certain is not represented in other works. Had Mr. Parker lived, and decided to convert that material to a computer compatible format, I'm sure it would be just as Mr. Hale has presented it. If you disagree after making the purchase, I'll give you your money back myself.

Wow. I think that's one of the highest compliments of someone's work I've ever read.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not familiar with the work of Mr. Hale. He is a member here, so you may want to PM/email him. :) I've only seen a few of them myself, but I've heard good things about Larry Tatums material.

Best of luck in your training. :)

Mike

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I have the Lamkin Manuals and the Hale Journal. Both contain nearly the same information. But the Hale journal is worth the purchase in any case for the "extra" information and the layout which better links things together for you. There are only a handful of techniques which are different between the Lamkin manuals and the hale Journal. Also "true" Parker depends on who is teaching. I'm going to be posting about 5 videos of 5 different instructors doing Form 4 for comparison in a few hours. They are all done differently.

Sigung LaBounty

White Belt
Reaction score
I have to go along with Ron Chape'l on the Hale Journal, as I do not know of the other gentlemen's work. It is extremely well put together and very easy to use. I am a MAC user and Mr. Hale has taken the time to format it for us MAC-O-philes with a few very limited exceptions. I'm a terminal mechanical learner, and have difficulty reading and even watching to learn, I need to do hands on. I review the Kenpo Journal often to jog my memory and find information long forgotten, which has been a great help. It's written in the longer list form, but it's all there.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One helluva guarantee.

gixxershane

Green Belt
Reaction score
my instructor is a student of Mrs. Cogliandro in Revere Ma it is a good school...

Steve Arsonault (sp) has a school in New Bedford or Dartmouth ma..

i dont know much about the manuals but the sasiki (sp) videos are the same or really close to what we do..

OP
fnorfurfoot

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
my instructor is a student of Mrs. Cogliandro in Revere Ma it is a good school...

Steve Arsonault (sp) has a school in New Bedford or Dartmouth ma..

i dont know much about the manuals but the sasiki (sp) videos are the same or really close to what we do..
I've talked with Mrs. Cogliandro once a number of years ago. She seemed really nice and I hope to make it up there to meet her sometime in the near future.

Kenpobuff

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I too have the Hale journal. It is well done and easy to use. The information is a great reference even for those of us that have studied a slightly different version of the techniques presented in the Journal. The historical pictures are a nice bonus.

Doc, I'll go 25% of the guarantee for the first return.

Steve

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I am a Tracy kenpo guy, but I've had the opportunity to review Mr. Hale's journal. In my very limited experience with EPAK kenpo, it seems to me that Mr. Hale's work is very thorough, and probably as good as it can get as a written resource. If you want a written reference, I would fully agree with Doc, this is a good choice.