Tricking

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's martial art-ish, and there might be some of the less gymnastic parts that are actually useful. But overall, no. It's closer to gymnastics.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are more likely in life to be in a situation where you can use acrobatics rather than ripping a guys head off.

OP
Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would agree that tricking is more a form of gymnastics.
The emphasis is on building acrobatic techniques and flowing from one to another with grace and power.
You can strive to be creative, faster, and more powerful or all of the above, but as the name states: these are tricks.

I know a lot of trickers with no martial arts background, and a lot with a heavy martial arts background, and the overwhelming majority I have come in contact with are:
1. Super into what they do. Very enthusiastic and willing to share.
2. Are incredibly friendly and love teaching people more about Tricking
3. Do not treat it as a martial art and make no attempt to

That's very interesting. I've never spoken to any trickers so had no idea how they treat it.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Consider someone is running at you. Just laying back and round house kicking the guy in the head, isn't as bad as getting tackled. You don't have to do it again. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You are more likely in life to be in a situation where you can use acrobatics rather than ripping a guys head off.

What art teaches how to rip off someones head? I can see how some of the sword arts could remove a head, but other than that...

OP
Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
What art teaches how to rip off someones head? I can see how some of the sword arts could remove a head, but other than that...

The closest I can think of is Tiger style Kung Fu where you can rip out someone's throat, but that's all.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Imagine if a Trickster married a Capoeira instructor and they had kids. Good luck finding a baby sitter.
2isuwef.jpg

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The streets man the streets

Damn. 30+ years in the ER and I have never, ever, seen someone get their head ripped off in a street fight. A street race, yes. But never a street fight.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think tricking is a lot like kata. The people who do it believe there are a lot of benefits and the people who don't dismiss it as only superficially helpful.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think tricking is a lot like kata. The people who do it believe there are a lot of benefits and the people who don't dismiss it as only superficially helpful.

I'm sure there are benefits. Balance, flexibility, speed, cardio... these are all benefits. They're benefits that will make it a pleasure to train a tricker, but the tricking itself, while not totally useless, is not hugely helpful in a self defense scenario.
I have a good friend who is heavy into tricking. He really enjoys it. I asked him last night if he considered it a martial art. He does not.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Damn. 30+ years in the ER and I have never, ever, seen someone get their head ripped off in a street fight. A street race, yes. But never a street fight.

So like effective ninjitsu. Just because nobody has seen it doesn't mean it did not happen.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm sure there are benefits. Balance, flexibility, speed, cardio... these are all benefits. They're benefits that will make it a pleasure to train a tricker, but the tricking itself, while not totally useless, is not hugely helpful in a self defense scenario.
I have a good friend who is heavy into tricking. He really enjoys it. I asked him last night if he considered it a martial art. He does not.
I'm sure there are benefits to kata but the kata itself, while not totally useless is not hugely helpful in a self defense scenario. Kata is also not a martial art, although many martial artists do them.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We had a gymnast come into one of the mma gyms. And fought well outside his skill level.

Something to do with his balance speed flexibility and cardio.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Kata is a martial art? Huh. I didn't know that. I've never heard anyone suggest that before now. Is it possible you're the only one who believes this to be true?

Latest Discussions