Tricking

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm curious on what people's opinion on tricking is, and whether they consider it a valid form of Martial Arts. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, watch this video:
IMNSHO, tricking and XMA and that sort of stuff is a huge steaming load of horse puckey.

MY $0.02 worth.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
IMNSHO, tricking and XMA and that sort of stuff is a huge steaming load of horse puckey.

MY $0.02 worth.

My general impression is that the average "tricker"/XMA-er isn't expecting to be ready for combat sports or the more unfortunate case of real-life bitey-scratchy, but rather that they intend to look really, really impressive and cool. I'd argue that they succeed in that respect, so it might be unfair to call it horse puckey or bull shuckey, any more than it's fair to say the same of ballet, ballroom tango, breakdance, or gymnastics...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
My general impression is that the average "tricker"/XMA-er isn't expecting to be ready for combat sports or the more unfortunate case of real-life bitey-scratchy, but rather that they intend to look really, really impressive and cool. I'd argue that they succeed in that respect, so it might be unfair to call it horse puckey or bull shuckey, any more than it's fair to say the same of ballet, ballroom tango, breakdance, or gymnastics...
... Or tkd, or Bjj, or taijutsu, or aikido.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
... Or tkd, or Bjj, or taijutsu, or aikido.

Weeeell, I would maybe guess that for BJJ at least the emphasis isn't usually on looking cool, but rather on effective (or technically impressive, or innovative, or whatever) BJJ. Same potentially goes for TKD, Aikido, depending on the school and practitioner.

My general experience is that those styles, though I've only ever known perhaps 3-4 Aikido guys, are more populated by people that at least hope what they're doing is effective.

My assumption when it comes to tricking, is that effective, efficient fightabilty isn't the goal. I think BJJ, TKD, Aikido, whatever else people "expect to be ready" for competition or combat of some sort.

I could be completely wrong about these guys' assumptions regarding the practicality of 720 spin, backflipping, upside-down triple split kicks with pointed toes, but there does seem to be a fairly significant difference of intent...

Anywhoo, my point being, I think it's only fair to call something horse puckey if it fails at what it claims to achieve. If Tricking claims to be a series of Tricks, well, it sure looks like tricks to me. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Weeeell, I would maybe guess that for BJJ at least the emphasis isn't usually on looking cool, but rather on effective (or technically impressive, or innovative, or whatever) BJJ. Same potentially goes for TKD, Aikido, depending on the school and practitioner.

My general experience is that those styles, though I've only ever known perhaps 3-4 Aikido guys, are more populated by people that at least hope what they're doing is effective.

My assumption when it comes to tricking, is that effective, efficient fightabilty isn't the goal. I think BJJ, TKD, Aikido, whatever else people "expect to be ready" for competition or combat of some sort.

I could be completely wrong about these guys' assumptions regarding the practicality of 720 spin, backflipping, upside-down triple split kicks with pointed toes, but there does seem to be a fairly significant difference of intent...

Anywhoo, my point being, I think it's only fair to call something horse puckey if it fails at what it claims to achieve. If Tricking claims to be a series of Tricks, well, it sure looks like tricks to me. :)

Ok try this for an idea. You are not a martial artist untill you use it to bash someone.

Everybody else is just doing performance art.

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious on what people's opinion on tricking is, and whether they consider it a valid form of Martial Arts. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, watch this video:

My niece used to do that in her cheerleading squad. I guess it'd come in handy if you were fighting a villainous band of cheerleading ruffians.

They put the "break" in Break Dancing...so I guess that's cool.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ok try this for an idea. You are not a martial artist untill you use it to bash someone.

Everybody else is just doing performance art.

Oh, I didn't mean I consider it a martial art. I meant I doubt that trickers think it's a martial art. If tricking is supposed to be a workable martial art, then yeah, it looks a bit like the aforementioned horse puckey. But, if it's meant to be performance art, then I think it succeeds quite well.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't mean I consider it a martial art. I meant I doubt that trickers think it's a martial art. If tricking is supposed to be a workable martial art, then yeah, it looks a bit like the aforementioned horse puckey. But, if it's meant to be performance art, then I think it succeeds quite well.

When it comes to what is the real deadly. Everybody's someone elses ninja.