Transitions In Hyungs

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How do you learn to transition from say a back stance, 90 degrees into a front stance without thinking about it? My stances suffer I believe because I'm concentrating on something else when I transition. My instructor seems to do it without thinking about it but I've got to remember to turn my rear foot, plant my foot wider etc. I've practiced my forms hundreds it not thousands of times so I don't believe it's repetition.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's not so much practicing of the transition of the stances, it's practicing the stances themselves. Line work, getting an instructor to look at your stances and correct every little detail, and work until those stances feel natural. That's when you practice transitions and they should come naturally too.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not so much practicing of the transition of the stances, it's practicing the stances themselves. Line work, getting an instructor to look at your stances and correct every little detail, and work until those stances feel natural. That's when you practice transitions and they should come naturally too.
Yes this is correct. If you can go from ready stance to any stance then any stance to any stance is also easy. You need ot develop the muscle memory of each stance. Our instructor says the first thing is to feel the stance, then make the corrections needed or work on the detail.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
ATC is dead on. Spend time in each stane and really feel every nuance of the position. INgrain this feel into you rbrain and then as you move from stance to stance...make the target be that feling...that butter zone of the corretc postiion. The transition will take care of itself.

If done right, then no matter what point you are in your movement you shoudl look as if you are in a stance.

Peace,
Erik

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Chinese say (paraphrasing) that if you have no horse (stances), you have no gung fu.

It's kinda universal. You have to know your foundation & root before anything else. One you know those, everything else is add on.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is a great question. The transition you talk about, dwi koobi (back stance) to ahp koobi (forward stance) is one of the key motions in several WTF forms. Although you may be able to put yourself in the stance one moment at a time, moving from one to the next is difficult. When you watch someone, like your instructor, seemingly move effortlessly you might be surprised at what he is doing to get there.

Here are a couple of pointers:

Control your height. When you control your height you control your center of gravity (balance), transitions become much more natural and look nice too.

Move like you are in a narrow hallway. If you imagine that you are in a narrow hallway as you move your body tends to use more efficient motion; arms stay in and you do not try to take up as much space. That is a big key in transition, don’t try to use more space than you need or your body will have too much momentum and at the end point you will have to use energy to stop yourself; you should be stepping not throwing your weight.

Be very aware of your posture. Your back needs to be straight and not moving around. It should kind of feel like you are wearing a scuba diving weight belt. If you lean in any direction the weight pulls you off course.

In this specific instance, from back stance, keep your height the same and keep your head looking the same direction. Imagine that you are in a tight hallway and slightly lift your front foot, push with your back leg and have it go from the 90 degree to the 30 degree as you move your hips forward, not your foot. Your foot will move forward but you are not trying to move it, it moves because your hips do. These actions happen simultaneously.

Once you practice this type of thinking you will go from a robotic type form to a much more organic looking motion.

ron

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
How do you learn to transition from say a back stance, 90 degrees into a front stance without thinking about it?

Are you referring to the motion in Taeguek 4 when you move from a left back stance (dwi kubi) performing a left inside middle section block (wen momtong anmakki) to a left front stance (wen ahp kubi) doing the jebi poom mok chigi? I ask because MSUTKD is referring to a transition in Taeguek 3 but in that transition, you are facing the same direction and in your question, you mention a change of 90 degrees?

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
a left inside middle section block (wen momtong anmakki)

Sorry about the off topic here, but what do you call the move where you wrap on the inside and block with your palm facing inwards, rather than coming from the outside of the body? Just curious.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry about the off topic here, but what do you call the move where you wrap on the inside and block with your palm facing inwards, rather than coming from the outside of the body? Just curious.
Pakat Makki? Outside block?

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Pakat Makki? Outside block?

But it's an inside wrist block? And if so what is the move directly preceding his inside block, palm facing out coming from the inside?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
But it's an inside wrist block? And if so what is the move directly preceding his inside block, palm facing out coming from the inside?
Are you talking specificly about Taegeuk Sa Jang (4)?

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
what form is this move in and what number of the move?

Pssh man, your psuhing my memory a bit here. It isn't in any of the taegeuk forms, and is found predominantley in the palgwe forms, but a double handed version is found in Sipjin, 3rd move from last. And to the best of my knowledge is trained as a basic block by a lot of clubs.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that is called a bull or push block but can't be sure. I do not know the name in Korean. I am sure someone on here knows though. But I think I know the block you are talking about.

Last edited:

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
K31,
Like in taeguek sa jang? From joombe to double knife hand back Stance to front stance spear hand strike? I think that instead of stepping from stance to stance try pushing off of the back foot and shooting/pushing forward.

OP
K31

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Are you referring to the motion in Taeguek 4 when you move from a left back stance (dwi kubi) performing a left inside middle section block (wen momtong anmakki) to a left front stance (wen ahp kubi) doing the jebi poom mok chigi? I ask because MSUTKD is referring to a transition in Taeguek 3 but in that transition, you are facing the same direction and in your question, you mention a change of 90 degrees?

I just use that as an example and I was more interested in it as a general question. We practice the Palgwe forms and it occurs in many of them.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pssh man, your psuhing my memory a bit here. It isn't in any of the taegeuk forms, and is found predominantley in the palgwe forms, but a double handed version is found in Sipjin, 3rd move from last. And to the best of my knowledge is trained as a basic block by a lot of clubs.

Are you referring to sonnal deung makki (where you are blocking with the ridgehand rather than the pinkie-side of the knifehand)?

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Are you referring to sonnal deung makki (where you are blocking with the ridgehand rather than the pinkie-side of the knifehand)?

No I am talking about a closed hand block.

Latest Discussions