Transitions In Hyungs

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OK, so it is not the 3rd last motion in Sipjin....can you find a picture of it because I am not sure what block you are referencing. Sorry!

Of course, my mistake. I can not find a picture, but it is exactly that 3rd last move in Sipjin (If I'm remembering correctly this time) but the fist is closed and you take away the supporting arm (placing it on the hip), this also means the ready position for the hands is the same as a palm facing outwards body block, except the hand starts facing the other way. A little confusing I know, but do you understand? I'll try and find a picture.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Back to the op, one thing that I think helps a lot in transitions is thinking about weight distribution. I find that if I just think about stepping or turning, my transitions don't flow well. Instead, I think of where my weight is going and try to move as fluidly as possible. So instead of just lifting my rear leg to make a 90 degree turn, I consiously shift the correct amount of weight to my front leg, so my rear can move easily and then shift that weight back again. Don't know if I am making much sense here, but maybe it will help.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry about the off topic here, but what do you call the move where you wrap on the inside and block with your palm facing inwards, rather than coming from the outside of the body? Just curious.

I think you are just talking about an outside block (bakkat maggi as someone said earlier). I have found that PG usually are taught with the palm facing in, while the TG are shown with the palm facing out. A discussion for why this change was made would be interesting! But perhaps on a new thread...

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My students don't like covering stances with me, lol. They know in the long run it's for the best but when I say we are going to work on stances their heads kinda drop towards the floor.

I gave them a new drill to work last week. When transitioning from stance to stance I have them hold it to check anatomical correctness. Structural integrity, body alignment, as well as checking their heigth, width, & depth of their stance. Then we move to the next stance in line. Do the same thing, then on to the next one. We may hold one stance for 30seconds or more to get a "feel" for it.
Last week I took the hand work out of the forms. We stepped out to our horse then I told them to put their hands on their hips. After that we commenced through the form with nothing but lower body isolation. Working on only stances, transitions, & foot work. It gave them another reason to hate stance work with me, lol. They all didn't know what to expect as they haven't done this with me before. It really makes you think about solidfiying your base, plus a real mental challenge taking out the hands you are so used to getting you from place to place.
Anyway, I love forms work.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course, my mistake. I can not find a picture, but it is exactly that 3rd last move in Sipjin (If I'm remembering correctly this time) but the fist is closed and you take away the supporting arm (placing it on the hip), this also means the ready position for the hands is the same as a palm facing outwards body block, except the hand starts facing the other way. A little confusing I know, but do you understand? I'll try and find a picture.

Here's Sipjin from KKW website.
http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/english/information/information04_03_13.jsp?div=04

I was referencing page 55/60 which is motion #26-2. Sorry, I am still confused from your description.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree that it is all about weight distribution and posture. You also need to be able to "pop" into any stance without having to think about it or adjust once you get there. I have my students practice by starting in a Dwit Kubi and then extending the lead leg forward and slightly to the outside while pivoting on the rear foot and maintaining posture throughout the weight shift.
I think I said that right

Latest Discussions