Training with a personal handicap

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
like I said, I have changed. currently, I am known for my power, calm nature, and solid control. I have gone to the doc. I have LLD, my left leg is aprox 1.5 inched shorter than the right. combine that with my 10 years in construction,well, my lower five lumbar and are worn down on one side and are off kilter ,also, my spine has quite the sideways s-curve.

Supposedly Bruce Lee also had a left leg that was a little bit shorter than his right leg. As such, he would somehow use it to his advantage to give him more kicking power.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Got to train smarter, not harder. The idea is to hurt the opponent, not yourself. You can do what you can to fix yourself and what you can to get yourself fixed, anything else you've just got to learn to deal with. How to work around your weaknesses.
I almost broke my back twice, healed up from those close calls, then threw my back out a different way. I think I've almost got it straightened out again. Almost lost one leg (and my life) to an infection in my foot, then broke both feet about six months after that. Both shoulders dislocated, each one a different way. One heavily damaged hand. Some of those things are ongoing nightmares. I really can't run, can barely walk when it's cold or wet, have to really be careful how I use my feet and my arms and work on posture a lot. But as long as I focus on it all I can usually do ok. Fix what you can and figure out what you've got to do to keep what you've got from there.
Best advise!
I have had 2 back surgeries. My L5 and S1 is fused. It was fused with hardware, but I had the hardware taken out. I still have nerve issues from the surgeries. It has been Hell for the past 5 years. Things have gotten better and I have learned to live with it and do things smarter not harder. Good luck and take my advise. Surgery should only be the last resort. If I could do it over again. I wouldn't of had surgery till I knew there was no other option. Actually I think I would of just lived with the pain I had. I was sold surgery when in reality I probably could of went without.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Supposedly Bruce Lee also had a left leg that was a little bit shorter than his right leg. As such, he would somehow use it to his advantage to give him more kicking power.

Good luck finding people who do NOT have one leg slightly shorter than the other. Humans are not symetrical.

The bit about it giving him more power is just more urban myth.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Injuries suck so take care of yourself.

people are not defined by their disabilities.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Never knew that.

Oh yeah. Humans are not symetrical other than roughly - sure, we have one arm on each side, but up close... not at all. Put your hands against each other. Line them up at the wrist. I bet you'll find at least one finger that's not the same length as the one on the other hand.

Or look at those pictures where a person is photographed with a mirror mid-face, so both sides are identical. They look like a completely different person.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Humans are not symetrical other than roughly - sure, we have one arm on each side, but up close... not at all. Put your hands against each other. Line them up at the wrist. I bet you'll find at least one finger that's not the same length as the one on the other hand.

Or look at those pictures where a person is photographed with a mirror mid-face, so both sides are identical. They look like a completely different person.

Oh yeah, never really noticed until now. Looks like my fingers on the left, are a little longer than the right. The right has slightly bigger palm. At least, I have probably known all my life, but never taken much notice. Cool Thanks :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, never really noticed until now. Looks like my fingers on the left, are a little longer than the right. The right has slightly bigger palm. At least, I have probably known all my life, but never taken much notice. Cool Thanks :)

It's the sort of thing that's true of most people, but it's not the sort of thing most people notice. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's the sort of thing that's true of most people, but it's not the sort of thing most people notice. :)
'Cuz it's typically not enough to be a major issue. Some folk's feet are different enough that they need two sizes, for example, but most of just have one that's a shade tight, one that's a shade loose. And for most of us, are legs are within fractions of an inch of the same length... Reportedly, Bruce Lee had something like an inch difference between his legs; enough to be noticeable and a challenge, but I don't know that for certain.

I've trained someone with some major impacts from a car crash; one arm was very limited in it's function. We adapted things, worked around it, and generally found ways to keep the principle without necessarily being exactly the same. I've had to adapt some of my own training as I've aged and as I've suffered various injuries. My partner is dealing with significant impacts due to an old knee injury and developing arthritis in a shoulder. Adapt and overcome.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah I hear you on that. However, my own experiences should really see that. Then again maybe not. Suppose you really do become like a pair of slippers, comfortable :)