Training to Teach

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I know we learn to teach by seeing our Instructors and we help teach under their observation as well but do you have any classes where you train your upper belts to specifically teach?

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes. I have a "Train the Trainer" program. How to teach, Curriculum Management, Class Management, Business 101 R&R (Recruitment & Retention) and the 10 class management skills are all taught.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I try and teach by setting the example, through weekly advanced classes,and also we will be having special workshops geared for that exact reason! good question!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know we learn to teach by seeing our Instructors and we help teach under their observation as well but do you have any classes where you train your upper belts to specifically teach?

I think that having an extra class for instructors is a very good idea. Ideas on how to run classes, what to teach, as well as some mock class room settings can certainly be a plus.

Mike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm with fluffy on this one we basically do the same thing as he

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've just started going through a series of classes on teaching. Basically, I get to choose the subjects then "teach" it to the higher ups. Feels weird, but I'm learning a lot.

Jeff

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LEO's have to attend a week long class on "Teaching Adults" that OPOTA ( Ohio Peace Officers Training Academy) runs and then you have to attend another week attending a intense physical class also run by OPOTA to demonstrate you have the skill level...

OP
T

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was hoping that people were doing that. I have seen to many advanced belts sort of been thrown to the wolves. Just because they have achieved a certain level doesnt mean they know how to teach. True you can mimic back what your instructor does but if you do not know why then it is pointless. We have a "Black Belt" class this is a class for Browns and above to learn to teach others. I have started to challenge the other students to plan to teach and give the others situations when I am asked to teach this class for my instructor to get them to realize that there is so much difference in teaching a class of adults to a group of 8 year olds. Since I am an educator in my day job I guess I feel strongly about having people prepared to teach others.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Fluffy and Terry

Would you mind sharing some of the curriculum that you are covering in your teaching classes? I would like to see it and maybe discuss a few things.

upnorthkyosa

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fluffy and Terry

Would you mind sharing some of the curriculum that you are covering in your teaching classes? I would like to see it and maybe discuss a few things.

upnorthkyosa

I'd like to see that too. Like most advanced colored belts who start teaching as a service to their school and instructor, I'm following his class structure and presentation of the materials fairly closely, which I think is a pretty safte policy at least for starters. But I'd like to compare what I'm doing with what you guys have found most effective.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In 2004, I completed my Masters is Education and looking at MA instruction is kind of a little pet project of mine. Using good educational principles in my own MA instruction has changed just about everything about how I teach MA.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In 2004, I completed my Masters is Education and looking at MA instruction is kind of a little pet project of mine. Using good educational principles in my own MA instruction has changed just about everything about how I teach MA.

I agree - and as a teacher, I've found a great deal in MA that applies to classroom teaching, at least for me.