Belt Responsibility

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I know when I got to Red and Brown Belt I got a little full of myself but when I achieved my Black all of a sudden I did not feel worthy and felt the tremendous responsibility that comes with being a leader. I feel I must work constantly to not dishonor my instructor and the art, am I the only one who feels this way or there more of you?

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you understand that you are just starting in your training. Don't be so hard on yourself, enjoy being a 1st Dan and take it day by day.

davemitchel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations on achieving your 1st Dan. Sounds like you have the right attitude. Don't worry - you know what you have to do ....

Peace
Dave

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know when I got to Red and Brown Belt I got a little full of myself but when I achieved my Black all of a sudden I did not feel worthy and felt the tremendous responsibility that comes with being a leader. I feel I must work constantly to not dishonor my instructor and the art, am I the only one who feels this way or there more of you?

Kid that feeling will be with you the rest of your life,sounds like you have a great sense of what thw bwlt really means. Your instructor must be proud.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Congrats on your Black Belt!:ultracool

Having that belt certainly does have a different feeling to it. You've reached one goal, now its time to take on the next part of the journey. Keep training hard, putting 110% into everything you do. That in itself, will show your instructor that you're dedicated to the art. :)

Mike

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey congrats on your black belt.As I do not have a Dan rank I am very happy for you and a little envious..When I finally recieved my State instructors license I could have just sat back and rested, but yet I constantly train and investigate anything that will make me a better teacher..I do not want to be just a good teacher, I want to be great teacher..You will be a great teacher....

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Welcome to black belt! Many people go through the same cycle of emotions/responses that you are feeling now. As you learn new skills, you become justifiably proud of them - and then you reach black belt, and find out just how much there is left to learn. Congratulations on learning that at 1st Dan, instead of later, which is when so many others learn it... if they learn it at all. It sounds like you have a great attitude - so you're on the right track.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like you understand that you are just starting in your training. Don't be so hard on yourself, enjoy being a 1st Dan and take it day by day.

I agree. Congratulations, and your attitude shows you deserve the new rank. :asian:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I second everything said so far. Just one more thing... part of respecting your instructors is respecting their judgments. They've been in the business of evaluating students for a long time, eh? Respecting them as MA professionals means you believe they have a pretty good idea of what they're doing when they promote a student to whatever belt that student has tested for successfully. And that includes your promotion. You have to assume that if you weren't `worthy', or hadn't been ready, or whatever, they wouldn't have promoted you to dan. They're well aware of their own responsibilities as guardians of their school's standards.

You clearly are in no danger of getting a swelled head---don't err in the opposite direction, or you'll deprive yourself of the full pleasure that your achievement entitles you to.

OP
T

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree with you all and that is what my instructor says. I have been 1st Dan for about a year now and will soon be testing for my 2nd. I still feel that responsibility and I hope I never get complacent.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the new rank. And it sounds like you have learned the most important lesson. :asian:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kidd,

Congrats on the rank. You now have the right attitude, and have "grown up" a whole lot when it comes to your martial arts training.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kidd:

Congrats on your black belt. I'd worry about you if felt arogance & weren't worried about it. You'll make a great instructor, I'm sure.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
first congradulations n your promotion to black belt. I agree with what others have said , you are ahead of the curve in understanding that you do not know it all. Black belt (1st dan) is one of the best ranks a person can hold, it teaches you so much about yourslef and your art. Wear the belt proudly but remember there are many responsibilities that go with it

OP
T

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thats the point, my brown belt felt liked it weighed a few ounces and then I put on the black and it feels like it weighs several hundred. You go from feeling like you know so much to the next realizing you know so little. Does it get better the higher you go? I test for my 2nd Dan soon do the belts get heavier or do you finally come to a point of acceptance? All this could stem from the fact I am a little bit of a perfectionist (could you tell?)

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats the point, my brown belt felt liked it weighed a few ounces and then I put on the black and it feels like it weighs several hundred.

That is such a wonderfully expressive way of putting it! Conveys a world of meaning in just a few words, with a really nice edge to it...

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Thats the point, my brown belt felt liked it weighed a few ounces and then I put on the black and it feels like it weighs several hundred. You go from feeling like you know so much to the next realizing you know so little. Does it get better the higher you go? I test for my 2nd Dan soon do the belts get heavier or do you finally come to a point of acceptance? All this could stem from the fact I am a little bit of a perfectionist (could you tell?)

First of all congrats on a job well done. You worked hard and should be proud.:)
Second of all enjoy yourself. Its good to strive for perfection but don't beat yourself over the head driving yourself crazy about it. Life is short.

Now, I have a bit of a radical philosophy on belts and responsibilities.

The only responsibility you have is to yourself. I do not train to honor my masters or set an example for anyone. I do not owe anyone anything. I am thankful for the quality of training I have recieved. But, I paid for the service and earned my rank and skill while doing so. Yes, I have made many friends and have enjoyed learning from my teachers.....But.

I train for me. I gladly give my best and help my training partners be the best they can and help them whole heartedly. I do not feel any weight or burden with my training.
It is purely for my enjoyment. The day I start getting stresses out about my rank and responsibilities it becomes a second job and is no longer enjoyable. I know, I've been there before.

I know this may be construed as arrogant and blasphmous and very un martial arts like. This is not the case. My character is in little need of perfecting. I do not look to MA for moral guidance of some great philosophical enlightenment. It just is what it is. The learning, the challenge, the comraderie, the fun.

You may now burn the heretic at the stake..........:flame: Marc-

Latest Discussions