Help with Teaching Methods

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi there, I recently started teaching over at my studio. Here is the situation as follows over at my studio:

I help teach with an instructor I am for the most part, unfamilar with. She used to have 2 classes, yet split them to 4 classes because she has no control over them. 2 of these classes are from 4-6, and the other 2 around 7-12.

This woman, has absolutely no control over them. From the moment they enter the dojo, they are running around, jumping on the torch bags, and grabbing paddles, etc. She tries to tell them to stop, but if they don't listen, she doesn't really make an effort to stop it. The kids think it's okay not to listen to her.

Another issue is that she goes totally against our style of teaching. We teach our students to kick with ball of our foots for front kicks, where as she teaches them to use their toes... My friend and I, who is the other one instructing with me, tried to teach a child this method, showed us complete disrespect, and argued about it.

She also (We're under the World Tae Kwon Do Federation), thinks that the Kukkiwon is unimportant. She delibertly said this to the other instructors etc. She doesn't teach them the correct methods of kicking, and punching etc.

It's a rule to stay under what our founding instructor of our Academy taught us, and our founding instructor never permitted the use of weapons. Now,she used the Academy's weapons to buy foam sais, and nunchucks, etc, which is absolutely not tolerated, and lets the class work with these. What angers me is she used our money without asking, and she isn't supposed to teach the class weaponry, especially since she has absolutely no training in it.

I'm sorry if this seems like a rant, but it's been bothering me, and the other instructors over at our studio. My only wish is teach these students in the correct methods the rest of us were taught. If you have any advice into solving this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off where is your Master and why havent you talked to him over this delima, second how do you know she has no weapon training behind her, did you brother to ask. last who hired her you or some one else with proper responses I can give you a couple of ways to handle your problem.

Thanks
Master Stoker

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kamaria Annina said:
Hi there, I recently started teaching over at my studio. Here is the situation as follows over at my studio:

I help teach with an instructor I am for the most part, unfamilar with. She used to have 2 classes, yet split them to 4 classes because she has no control over them. 2 of these classes are from 4-6, and the other 2 around 7-12.

This woman, has absolutely no control over them. From the moment they enter the dojo, they are running around, jumping on the torch bags, and grabbing paddles, etc. She tries to tell them to stop, but if they don't listen, she doesn't really make an effort to stop it. The kids think it's okay not to listen to her.

This is a serious problem that needs to be addressed ASAP!! The dojo is a place to learn, not fool around! This instructor is not correcting problems when they happen, therefore, the kids are taking total advantage of her. Things need to change right away or they will continue to go downhill quick! If someone gets hurt due to this fooling around, it will be on the school owners shoulders.

Another issue is that she goes totally against our style of teaching. We teach our students to kick with ball of our foots for front kicks, where as she teaches them to use their toes... My friend and I, who is the other one instructing with me, tried to teach a child this method, showed us complete disrespect, and argued about it.

She also (We're under the World Tae Kwon Do Federation), thinks that the Kukkiwon is unimportant. She delibertly said this to the other instructors etc. She doesn't teach them the correct methods of kicking, and punching etc.

It's a rule to stay under what our founding instructor of our Academy taught us, and our founding instructor never permitted the use of weapons. Now,she used the Academy's weapons to buy foam sais, and nunchucks, etc, which is absolutely not tolerated, and lets the class work with these. What angers me is she used our money without asking, and she isn't supposed to teach the class weaponry, especially since she has absolutely no training in it.

I'm sorry if this seems like a rant, but it's been bothering me, and the other instructors over at our studio. My only wish is teach these students in the correct methods the rest of us were taught. If you have any advice into solving this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Where did this person come from??? I would think that the head instructor of the school would want a standardized format for what is taught. She is apparently going against the grain of what is normally taught at the school. IMO, these issues need to be addressed soon with the head inst. of the school.

Mike

S

sifu Adams

I would agree with others, talk to Your Master about it. I know some realy good martial artist that can not teach. If she is looseing control of the class maybe you need to have the Master stop in and watch a class. My guess is she wont be teaching to much longer. Most parents will get upset and pull the kids out. One bad word from a parent and it will traval fast. As for the teaching thing. I have to say sometimes with kids you have to start with the basics then go to more complex. example. we also teach to kick with the ball of the foot. But last week I told one of my young students to kick with the top of the foot. why because he was striat leg kicking instead of useing the knee. I told him to kick with the top of the foot and he started doing it right. once he learns the kick and has it down good, I then will go back to the ball of the foot.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
The others have hit it on the head. You need to have your master come to the classes and have a talk with her. If this does not work then your master needs to cut her loose. Once she is gone then you can start to clean up the discipline problem that she has helped to generate. Through intense calithenics and strenuous drilling they will learn that this behaviour is not tollerated. I have only had to do this one time due to a similar situation. I did a drill instructor type class for 2 weeks. No more problems after that. Just my $0.02 worth.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
The age groups that you have specified are some of the hardest to teach in the arts. Unfortunately that is why the class needs to be a little more strict than others. It sounds to me like this instuctor has either lost the respect for their instructor or just never had it. Like all of the others I am going to recommend that you talk to your higher ups. After all you need to deal with the students in the class also. Who knows maybe she is not happy with her training and that is why things are happening the way they are. Do not let her interfere with your training or the training of the others in the class. Teach them right because one day they may just become your students instead of hers.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

K

KenpoNoChikara

BlackCatBonz said:
get rid of her
Ditto
If she is deliberately going against against what your school teaches, and doesn't care or won't change, she needs to go.

Young children are difficult enough to teach as it is without someone else tolerating that kind of blatant disrespect.

Let us know how it goes!:)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good morning to you,

Kamaria Annina said:
A decent instructor should be able to control a class of that size. Whether she's just an instructor who never "got the message" when being trained as an instructor, or whether her instructor was a terrible instructor of instructors isn't quite clear here, but she has a LOT of work to do, if she wants to become an effective teacher.

This is very bad, both for her sake, and the children's sake. A martial arts instructor must be able to exert control, and the students (not just the children ones) must respect the instructor and do things without question. The dojo is not a play room, and certainly not a day care location; it's a place where the martial arts are being taught, and requires a significant amount of discipline.

Another issue is that she goes totally against our style of teaching. We teach our students to kick with ball of our foots for front kicks, where as she teaches them to use their toes...
This is very dangerous. Kicking with one's toes can easily result in breaking them. Now, there are a few techniques where the toes are actually used (thrusting kicks into soft targets, for example), but those are usually not taught until a student is far more advanced.

My friend and I, who is the other one instructing with me, tried to teach a child this method, showed us complete disrespect, and argued about it.
This is a terrible atmosphere, and effective teaching cannot commence if some drastic changes aren't made.

The blind leading the blind, as they say...

First, and foremost, when you teach martial arts at a decent school, you must follow the program. Unity is of utmost importance when it comes to instruction, since having instructors deviate that much from the program is akin to the old adage of "too many chefs spoil the broth." There is supposed to be only one chef, and that chef's instructions are to be obeyed by the cooks.

Secondly, she shouldn't be teaching kobudo without the express approval of the chief instructor. While the founding instructor's ideals should be respected, a chief instructor can sometimes change things, as long as the core of the program is left unaltered, if the decision is a well-informed one. However, in her case, she has no idea of what the proper techniques are, and even though they're using foam weapons, she's teaching some dangerous tactics (dangerous to themselves) here.

Finally, if it wasn't her money to use for such purposes, then she shouldn't have done it.

You, and the other instructors, need to speak with your chief instructor as soon as possible. Her methods of instruction are detrimental to the students, the dojo, and especially to herself.

Does this mean that there's no hope for her at all? Not really; maybe all she needs is a frank discussion with the chief instructor, to open her eyes to reality. Maybe she would significantly improve if the chief instructor would teach her to be a better instructor, or if she would listen to the chief instructor's instructions on how to be an instructor. I don't want to give the notion that she is hopeless, since some people are redeemable.

OP
Kamaria Annina

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all of your for your advice, today I go in to teach. I will talk to my other partner instructor, and discuss what should be done about the matter, and hopefully present it to our sensei's, and then if they agree, our headmaster. Thank you very much! :asian:

OP
Kamaria Annina

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
I recently talked to my instructor about the situation. There is a planned meeting on Monday. My instructor told me, that our head master however, isn't giving us any guidance unto the situation... What should our studio do about this? According to my instructor, we have to solve this on our own.

Apparently this isn't the first time this has occured with her (They've had previous meetings) and they agree with me, saying it is a bad situation.

For the meeting, I doubt it will be a pretty one, but any advice on how to politely go about my thoughts and ideas? I am 16 years old, while my friend is well into her 40s and the other instructors in their 40s as well. I don't want to seem like an ignorant girl, trying to start something, I only want the curriculm taught right, as well as saftey being in mind.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kamaria Annina said:

She shouldn't be teaching.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you address them do it in a clear, concise, and controlled manor. Be corteous, but speak your mind. Think about what you are wanting to say and write down the issues you have beforehand. This situation is bad and needs to be resolved. Be strong of mind and spirit and things will go fine.

S

sifu Adams

The head master wont give you advice? What is he there for? Sound to me that might be the root problem. You should start looking into what you really wont in the martial arts and maybe look at another school that can teach you the way to teach your art. I will bet at your age you will bump head with the others. I think you are wise in seeing the problems but if your head Master has any respect for his art he/she would wont it to be taught right and would assure it by looking into your conserns. My $.02

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that you are only 16 and even though you appear to be correct and very mature, you should maintian a respectful demeanor and let the head instructor handle it.

It occurrs to me that the head master may be allowing the head instructor to handle this becasue he wants the instructor leanr form the situation as well, after all this is his responsibility and he needs to be able to deal with it. You may not be aware of all the factors involved between teh head master, head instructor, and this instructor. There is always a bigger picture.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
My opinion is get together with your friend and form a game plan. There is nothing worse than going to a meeting that is pointless. I might also suggest that you might let your friend do most of the talking if she is a higher rank. She may know how to get a point across also without getting emotional given her age and experience. Do not say anything that may put you in a position that you do not want to be in.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
Maybe I'm too harsh but I think your role in this situation has been completed. You brought the matter to the attention of the people that are responsible for running the school, they should take it from there. It is their role to meet with the instructor and deal with it as they see fit. I think you should step back and let them handle it, if it is not resolved to your liking it might be time to find a school environment that meets your standards.

Latest Discussions