Training Outdoors

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We are planning on having at least a good hunk of our Saturday class this week outside. It will allow them to practice techniques on a less forgiving and not so smooth environment. No Gi's though, we don't want them coming back to class with grass stains on them.

Any of you plan on training some outdoors this summer?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yup, lots of it.

Except for the near constant rain for the past couple weeks, it's great :)

I would reccommend avoiding going barefoot or ground work on the ground though, no need for athletes foot or ringworm ;)

For ground work we get a big tarp and peg that down to roll around on.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We are planning on having at least a good hunk of our Saturday class this week outside. It will allow them to practice techniques on a less forgiving and not so smooth environment. No Gi's though, we don't want them coming back to class with grass stains on them.

We like grass stains on the gi. Gravel makes a great weapon during grappling, just grab a hanfull and grind.:angel:
Sean

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Jeff we trained just a week and a half ago on knife on knife drills and tonight we will be outside again focusing on empty hand against the blade. (kind've tying the two together classes together so that what was taught before translates to this weeks lesson)

It will be good to smell the fresh air and work on some uneven terrain.

We will be practicing outdoors every other week for the entire summer, rain, shine, etc.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Make your students carry bottled water so they won't have to keep going inside to use the water fountain. Make sure they stay hydrated.
Wear sneakers. Outside work is the best place to workout since it is where your self-defense would really be needed if in a defense situation. Sneakers are what people would typically wear when being attacked (on the street).
I love outdoor workouts. I taught a full blown school outdoors for about a year in a covered picnic shelter (it had three open sides and one back wall).

AoG

nathan3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
At our school, we train outdoors every night we train. All year round. Rain, shine, snow, storms, whatever. Nothing helps work on your footwork more than being up to your ankles in mud...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, and as a matter of fact, I did some last week! :) Had a 1hr. private Arnis lesson. Ran thru the forms, locks, etc. The weather has been nice, so may as well take advantage of it! :)

Mike

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score

Sure! All the time. I Love training outdoors!

Your Brother
John

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As others have said -- outdoor training is great! I haven't done it for awhile, but I used to love training outside in thunderstorms.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As others have said -- outdoor training is great! I haven't done it for awhile, but I used to love training outside in thunderstorms.

Absolutely nothing quite as nice as training in a thunderstorm.
icon6.gif

You will definately feel alive!

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
It's been a while but nothing is quite the same as training at the beach.:ultracool

Sand tends to have quite an impact when you are doing forms and it really changes the dynamics of SD drills.

-Marc-

megat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
in silat we mainly train outdoor at night. we have what we call a gelanggang so training outside is nothing new. and our uniform do get dirty hehehhe, lucky we have only 3 night a week session so i can wash my uniform.

nathan3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's been a while but nothing is quite the same as training at the beach.:ultracool Sand tends to have quite an impact when you are doing forms and it really changes the dynamics of SD drills.
My family is planning a beach vacation this year. While it is a variety of martial arts, we mostly all do study some art. I'm very much hoping that we're able to take some time to cross-train on the beach as long as we're there. I've never done beach training, but I very much want to.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
A longtime student and I were training under my carport to avoid the slight drizzle and a bolt of lightning hit about 12 feet from where we were standing. I almost wet my pants and the hairs on my arms stood up for a straight hour.
I like to think that I am a fairly brave person, but natural disasters terrify me to the bone and that hit home pretty hard for me. I had the "tingly" feeling in my spine (the scared feeling) for the rest of the day.

AoG

megat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
well training at the beach is different as sandy surface u cannot get a footing to do ur stance, but it does improve ur stamina if run on the beach much ahrder than it sounds.

nathan3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well training at the beach is different as sandy surface u cannot get a footing to do ur stance, but it does improve ur stamina if run on the beach much ahrder than it sounds.
I'm not a big fan of running on the beach, except right at the ocean line. I just don't like the feeling of the ground shifting under my feet as I'm trying to run. Then again, I'm not a big fan of running anyway.

I'm definitely anxious to try some forms in the sand to see just how stable I really am. With all of the rain last summer, we did a lot of training in standing water and deep mud. It was a real eye opener on just where I was relying unstable and relying on "pushing off" to make things happen.

Latest Discussions