AC or not?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's both a few deg cooler in Chiang Mai (NW) and is slightly lower in humidity compared to BKK. It does feel much better up there. I haven't been to Isaan (NE) so I can't compare there.

When my daughter was living in Dubai she said newcomers always got Dubai 'flu' from the air conditioning there. Air conditioning is essential but it seems it takes a bit of getting used to, the 'flu' ( presumably some sort of respiratory problem) is quite unpleasant.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When my daughter was living in Dubai she said newcomers always got Dubai 'flu' from the air conditioning there. Air conditioning is essential but it seems it takes a bit of getting used to, the 'flu' ( presumably some sort of respiratory problem) is quite unpleasant.

I think it's the drastic change in climate. It's hard on the lungs. Warm air opens up the lungs and cold air makes them constrict. I've experienced the same as I've gone from snow on the ground to beach weather and vice versa. The A/C shocks the lungs as you're adapting to warm weather and then you're blasted with this super cold air.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like ac, although for the first few years we didn't have it, now we do. Its unnecessary but nice to have. I personally think it would be a good thing that people should be able to train for an extended time without needing it. Though if you have it you might as well use it.

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
My Grand-master bought our current building brand-new 6 years ago and it has pretty good A/C. Our old building was a rented facility that also had A/C, but not as good. We're in southeast Virginia.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I train in Vegas year round outdoors and in my private indoor training hall there is no AC just a small fan. Where I teach my group classes at the Las Vegas Martial Arts Academy there is AC and during the summer that is pretty nice. ;) Personally, training in various weather conditions makes you mentally and personally strong. Whether it is heat or cold but of course you must always wear appropriate clothing and hydrate!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I reviewed the article you referred me to. Nothing in it suggests the body burns more calories to cool you. It burns more calories because the same level of motion is more intense (requires more effort) when the temperature is hotter. Burning fuel (calories) produces heat (basic thermodynamics), which can never cool you.

Correct. I had it wrong.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Traveling is inherently stressful, which leads to more infections, especially viral. Additionally, there are regional strains of most virii. When you travel, you meet virii that your immune system has never seen before, so you get sick. The farther you travel, the more new bugs you will meet, and the further removed they are, genetically, from your home grown bugs. And you get sick.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Traveling is inherently stressful, which leads to more infections, especially viral. Additionally, there are regional strains of most virii. When you travel, you meet virii that your immune system has never seen before, so you get sick. The farther you travel, the more new bugs you will meet, and the further removed they are, genetically, from your home grown bugs. And you get sick.

It's also very stressful for parents when their children travel!

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
I live in the Houston, Texas area. The instructor likes to say, "there's no AC in the street where you'll be fighting". So sometimes, he leaves the AC off in the summer.

"Re-stomp the groin"
Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nope but our gym is always pretty cold in there anyway when it gets really they open the door which leads outside but no no AC

Latest Discussions