Ever lost a fight?

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Last week I wrote a thread about how I let someone get the better of me and how a lot of it was due to my being in the wrong place and way too intoxicated. I suffered a slight wound in the incident and even though it could have been much worse a wounded finger on your dominate hand is not something you forget about easily. Now that my finger is almost healed I find I'm slowly starting to forget about the whole incident. But for the first week after that night while constantly haveing to nurse my finger, cleaning the wound and dressing it three times a day, I couldn't help but to feel a little defeated. I went over and over it in my head. What happened, what I did, what I should have done. Everything from how I should have offered the guy to come back to our party and have a beer to how I should have bitten his ear off. altimately I know that you can't dwell on such things, that 'stuff happens' and that we were all just very lucky that no one got seriously hurt or arrested. On that note I was wondering if any of you have ever suffered a loss on the street and how you delt with that loss?

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never on the street, though that's more a matter of my pre-incident precaution and willingness to avoid injury through rapid flight. Had a couple incidents on the job where if my teammates hadn't stepped in I might have gotten hurt.

I've lost a number of competitive bouts, wrestling, kickboxing and sparring.

That sense of defeat will go one of two ways, and you're in control of which one. Either you can let it depress you and get you down, eat at your ego. This would be bad. Or you can let it eat at your pride, and push you to train harder, learn more and set yourself up to win that particular fight if it ever happens again. This would be better.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sure I've lost fights... some of them I'm glad I survived. For one thing it helped me to realize that I wasn't the bad-*** that I thought I was and thus made me a lot more careful about what comes out of my mouth.
But it also taught me what I needed to improve upon should I ever get into that situation again.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure I've lost fights... some of them I'm glad I survived. For one thing it helped me to realize that I wasn't the bad-*** that I thought I was and thus made me a lot more careful about what comes out of my mouth.
But it also taught me what I needed to improve upon should I ever get into that situation again.

Yep — same here. Exactly the same.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I'm with you

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course I have, but NEVER during an arrest.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, I have lost every fight on the street. I may have been the one that could walk after, but it is still a loss. I have never been beat down, but every time I had to fight on the street is a loss. If I am not able to talk my way out or did not walk away, it is not a win. I used to be of the mentality of winning fights on the street, but I have since gained the knowledge to know that they are not wins.

If I had never lost a fight in competition I would have a bunch of national and world championships to my credit.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course I have, but NEVER during an arrest.
I assume your talking about being the arrester and not the arrestee?
icon7.gif

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Been there, done that, taught me a whole lot, mostly that I don't want to do it again. Every time it happened I dealt with it about the same as Indyfighter.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Now that my finger is almost healed I find I'm slowly starting to forget about the whole incident. But for the first week after that night while constantly haveing to nurse my finger, cleaning the wound and dressing it three times a day, I couldn't help but to feel a little defeated. I went over and over it in my head. What happened, what I did, what I should have done. Everything from how I should have offered the guy to come back to our party and have a beer to how I should have bitten his ear off. altimately I know that you can't dwell on such things, that 'stuff happens' and that we were all just very lucky that no one got seriously hurt or arrested. On that note I was wondering if any of you have ever suffered a loss on the street and how you delt with that loss?

I've "lost" a couple of altercations on the street, although thankfully i've never been badly injured as i've had the sense to bail before things got too bad. Once i got into a shoving match with some bloke and noticed just in time his mates stepping out of a couple of cars... i hightailed it. Another time i wound up being thrown against a wall by a drunk woman and threatened with her raised fist... managed to talk my way out of that one. Both times i went through the replays and recriminations, the if they had done X then i would have done X and won the day crap. B/cause it is all rubbish... the thing i ultimately regretted about the incidents was getting involved in the first place. I guess they were useful experiences in that i learnt how easily i can get pushed into defending such a hollow abstraction as ego.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Once you are in a fight. you have lost. maybe not in a pyhsical way, but we all know what I mean. I fight not to win, just not to lose. If that makes any sence. I can get away from it alive and well and not behind bars well thats good.
Kosho

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Philisophically, I agree with Kosho. Practically, I've had my but whooped two times but both of those clouds had a silver lining so I don't count either as a loss.

In 8th grade, I got my butt kicked by a kid that was 2 years older than me. He had been bullying and chasing me everyday when I was walking home from school. He only had to be hit by me once to realize he didn't want to be hit again. As a kid, I wasn't real fast but hit real hard. He used speed and distance to win the fight. By the time and adult broke up the fight, he had the upper hand but in the end the bullying had stopped.

The other time, I was fighting another kid over some girl. I had the upper hand until I found myself surrounded by 5 of his friends. They gave it to me real good for a few minutes but I would not go down. I found myself against a fence over a catch basin and the kid I was fighting tried to drop kick me and I moved out of the way. He hit the fence and dropped straight down, just barely grabbed onto the concrete wall. His friends jaws dropped because all they saw was him drop presumably 35' to his death or serious injury. I didn't want to see him die, so I reached down and grabbed him. In the end, we all realized the girl wasn't worth it and made peace.

_Don Flatt

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The older I get, the dumber I realize I have been.

I lost a few, the booze won along with a couple of his friends.

I'm so glad I out-grew all of that.

-Marc-

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Every time I've been "given" the chance to talk my way out of a streetfight I've done it successfully. I have some pride in my efforts not to have pride. I've been walked on and eat **** all my life so it doesn't bug me as much as it might the "cpt. of the football team". Half the time you get away with self effacing humor or just insulting yourself or accepting their insults until they leave you alone. I'm also used to the same typical, unimaginitive insults. Beeing straight attacked is a different story, as is when you are forced into an altercation and given no choice. I assume they are trying to take my life at this point and I will take theirs first. You lose a fight in that situation once and you realise the gravity it holds. The first time I lost a real fight was my first real fight. Down on the ground, knife to my throat, "you ain't worth it". Changed my perspective of what a nice guy is too. Walk a mile in HIS shoes. I wonder...
I have no qualms about lethal force.
Sure I'm a pushover but I like breathing. I will kill you if you try to kill me. If I'm a liar I won't be around to be called so.

OP
INDYFIGHTER

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with your comments Mac. I just want to emphisize that while I was drunk when this happend, most of my friends who were with me were not. Also, while I'm prone to be involved in such attacks due to my bouncing job my friends again are not. They are all very peaceful people and haven't got even the slightest need to prove anything to anyone. That being said, in my recollection of what happened that night I felt I tried like hell to get passed this guy and move on down the sidewalk. Alot of things kept that from being easy, a busy street, narrow sidewalk and a hill with a eight foot fence at the top were some. In order for us to have walked away we would have had to walk around this guy and that was just not something this guy was going to allow without him getting to take some shots. All my friends who were there, again very peaceful none violent, none MA people said I did everything I could to tell the guy we just wanted to go home. At no time did I call him names, there was no bumping of chests or **** talking from me. There are some people who you can't talk down and there are sometimes when you can't run. That's when you have to finally rely on your training and hopefully not be to waisted to do so.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:D one would hope so Drac :asian:

You'd be surprized that number of coppers that do take a beating until they finally realize that brute strenght is not the answer all confrontations..

I assume your talking about being the arrester and not the arrestee?
icon7.gif

I was never arrested, and its a miracle..

Latest Discussions