Versatile flooring over concrete

OP
J

J MacDonald

White Belt
Reaction score
Just a word of warning. I put wrestling mats directly on concrete and after a few years the side that was against the concrete mildewed and molded. It was a complete loss, we had to put the mats in a landfill. If I did it again I would frame up a sub-floor, insulate it, then carpet it with carpet padding, and then put mats on it.
That's something I'm worried about too. Was the concrete at grade or below grade? I have heard that makes a difference.

OP
J

J MacDonald

White Belt
Reaction score
Just an off thought, you might want to consider looking into past use of the bay. Those records should be public.

I once stored a ton of kung fu school gear there only to find out later part of the site had been flagged by the EPA for toxic chemical waste. You don't want that, especially if the concrete isn't sealed, and most especially if you're going to be kicking up dust (containing lead, mercury, uranium...).
Good tip. Thanks!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Thanks! That might be a good option. Do you think I could first put some 1/4 inch rubber under the vinyl to provide a little give?
I don't think so. Generally vinyl is a one and done kind of thing. You may be able to put some kind of underlayment below it, but I would look at the installation information for the specific product you're looking at. Commercial vinyl comes in planks, sheets, some floating, some not floating... it's a broad category of flooring.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
training area is about 2000 sqft. It would be nice to be able to have all of it covered in mats, but not necessary for most of my classes.
1 inch rubber mats seem pretty thick to me. I imagine that would be the kind of rubber mat you would use in a weight lifting gym. What are they like on bare feet?
I think gym/weight room mats are made of dense material. They are harder and more durable to take the pounding of heavier loads (person holding weights) and dropping weights (heavy weight in a small area). Compared to wrestling mats which are durable and made for traction and cushioning a fall, they are quite different.
I think the durometer of a Tatami mat is about right for general MA practice. For example, a 3' x 3' Judo mat is slightly lighter (2.0lbs) than a Tatami mat (2.2lbs). Less dense so it will take falls better, as long as the mat is thick enough. Of course, if a mat is too thick they are harder to do standup work on. Think wrestling mat.

1" works well for us. You don't 'sink' into the mat very much at all. Again, much of this has to do with how the mat is made. I could see it as a problem on a wrestling specific mat.

Latest Discussions