I'm buying a pair of shoes

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always practice barefeet till now, two weeks ago I got an almot torn toe (the biggie) of my lefth foot, I tought it was broken, I was in pain for some days and even I return to train this week my foot hurts a little.

How I hurt my foot, well doing kicking I did a turning kick but my toe wraped on the matt and aal my body turn but this big toe didin't.

Well Iam considering buyinmg a pair of tkd shoes to protect my feet, I don't like them but afther 40 I need to protect me if I want to do TKD.

What do you think of training shoes?

Manny

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I prefer a good pair of cross-trainers. I don't like the specific "martial arts shoes" that are like slippers.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I really don't like training in shoes, but I have a pair of Adidas ones that I wear when we do demos or if I am walking around at a tournament. They don't do a lot as far as protection (when compared to tennis shoes) but would definitely be better than nothing if that is all that is allowed. I have had the same pair for almost 10 years. I have had to hot-glue the bottoms a couple times and it is definitely time for a new pair, but the old ones feel really good. A word of warning though- they will wear out fast if you wear them outside much at all.

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I personally do not train barefoot. Ihave not done the barefoot thing since I was younger going up the ranks. I only prefer to wear shoes when training. And if I cant wear shoes when training then I don't train.. It's pretty simple for me.

I've messed up my feet for years doing the barefoot thing. Everything from Athletes foot (severe cases), to broken toes and blisters on my feet. I wear cross trainer shoes for the most part. But if Im doing something that requires kicking and I don't want to put alot of harm to my opponent I'll wear wrestling shoes. I don't like the TKD/KARATE slipper / shoe because they don't support my ankle. Wrestling shoes are soft, light weight and 100% supportive... and not to mention comfy as anything ever on my feet.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really do enjoy the Adidas ones as well, they are the most fitting.

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
i have the adidas SM II but i dont wear it to training, in fact my instructor doesn't allow unless u've a medical cert, at least for guys.

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've been wearing shoes (slippers) for some years now after a horrendous case of verrucas (plantar warts) that took me a year and much pain to get rid of.

A word of warning about shoes: you can mess up your ankles and knees very easily if they "grip" the mat too much while kicking. Do some specific training aimed at getting used to them so that you can pivot properly.

You can also get a type of Kung Fu slippers which have a smooth sole. This eliminates the sticking problem but introduces a slipping issue.

In terms of protection, I would say they do protect the foot from abrasions and the like, but they are no substitute for refining your technique to avoid kicking people on the elbows and knees!

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I highly recomend shoes. But stay away from regular track and walking shoes for hard heavy kicking. That's a way to get hiperextention (I know, I got it that way!)

A good set of light weight martial arts shoes like the ones recommended above are the way to go.

And think of this... if you had to defend yourself, don't you think you would have shod feet and not be barefooted? Shouldn't you practice that way?

Deaf

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
i duno but i think kicking without shoes is better, especially toe positioning, like for front kick. and martial arts shoes tend to be a bit deformed , as i nthe curvature, after using them for awhile, so it would be wise to be adept with your footwork and stances before wearing shoes. shoes have more friction as well and would be much more difficult to pivot. my shoes are already dead though, as in there are barely any more grooves. i even slipped n fell on wet floor before -_-

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
All your answers has meke me wonder, are the tkd shoes worth? I love to train bare foot infact that's the way to do it for centuries, I don't like to wear a dobok o karate-gi and wearing any kind of shoes at the same time.

Maybe my injured toe was an accident and I have to see it that way and stay away from the tkd shoes.

What do you think? sorry but my martial art code says me to staay away from the shoes bu my injured foot says go ahed for the shoes.

Manny

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
All your answers has meke me wonder, are the tkd shoes worth? I love to train bare foot infact that's the way to do it for centuries, I don't like to wear a dobok o karate-gi and wearing any kind of shoes at the same time.

Maybe my injured toe was an accident and I have to see it that way and stay away from the tkd shoes.

What do you think? sorry but my martial art code says me to staay away from the shoes bu my injured foot says go ahed for the shoes.

Manny

Are you studying for the sake of the tradition or are you studying for actual self-defense? If it is simply for the tradition, then feel free to mimic whatever old asian tradition you wish. If it for self-defense maybe you might want to look at a more practical approach to your training.

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree completly w/ "BLINDSIDE" If your into the tradional / sport side etc.. then barefeet is essential if not probably required. I remember many years ago going thru the ranks we were not allowed to even consider wearing shoes in the DOJO. It was forbidden! But now that I teach, I require my students to wear shoes.. From military boots, to any type of shoe actually. I prefer them to wear the street shoe or the actual shoe they would be wearing in the street. For that is what they need to be comfortable in learning to fight in.

We spar and kick full force, full contact even w/ shoes on. Many find this odd, many find this toomuch for them to train in. But for us it's just how we train.. "HARDCORE" Nah not to much its just I beleive in training in the clothes and shoes you would normally commonly wear. Not a training gi/dobok.

Of course our system is geared for pure combat and self defense. Of course as I stated a solid wrestling shoe, or even a good TKD / martial art shoe is applicable if they want. When I train in dojo's I usually wear wrestling matt shoes (never worn on the outside on the street) to not damage the matt and out of respect. But in my school we wear military combat boots, and or cross trainer or other forms of tennis shoes.

Just how we train. Hell I've even wore cowboy boots/jeans to training, just to do it, and get the feel for it, since I wear this type of clothing often. To be comfortable actually doing self defense if need be, I must train in this clothes

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm using them now. It's harder to pivot with them on but I feel safer for now. I had to buy the kind my school sells (they have the ITA logo on the back). Remember I actually broke my big toe when it stuck to the mat.

They'll take some getting used to, it's definitely a change from bare feet.

I'm not planning on wearing them forever...

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like Terry, I've had good luck w/Adidas TKD shoes. They are comfortable and you can pivot while wearing them. I usually train barefoot, but if injured, will put on the shoes.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let's see, I will buy a pair of TKD shoes and used them for a while, if they fit confortabily and does not interfere with my kicking ability I will use them on a regulary basis, if not I will use them till I recover from my injured foot and thes use the shoes to be around the dojan.

Manny

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm using them now. It's harder to pivot with them on but I feel safer for now. I had to buy the kind my school sells (they have the ITA logo on the back). Remember I actually broke my big toe when it stuck to the mat.

They'll take some getting used to, it's definitely a change from bare feet.

I'm not planning on wearing them forever...

Hi karatemom, as I see we had almost the same injure, can you explain me how the tkd shoes helped you to recover from your injure and how these shoes has improve your training?

Manny

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I really like wrestling shoes to train in. They are light weight, comfy, and they have good traction on the bottom. I prefer the split sole shoes.

SlickRick

White Belt
Reaction score
stick with TKD shoes - the adidas ones are pretty stylish too.

whatever u do, dont use traditional kung fu shoes

Latest Discussions