Train TMA but fight like kickboxer

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok aside from anything else, how long do I need to sit outside your gate to be accepted into your 101 steps to appreciating fine liquor class? I mean I just need to know what I have to do? To hell with this martial arts talk We can do that after liquor class!
Booze and martial arts do not mix. By that I mean booze and exercise.

Your EPOC is heavily alcohol dependent. By that I mean if you have a single drink within an hour to 3 days after you work out, you're basically shutting off your long-term fat burning cycle. This is the cause of many TMAers crying out in the night "why, god, can't I learn the real kung fu".

The answer is you eat and drink crap. And if you want to be a kickboxer who eats crap all the time...there's no market for that, sorry. Jerry Springer, maybe.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Your EPOC is heavily alcohol dependent. By that I mean if you have a single drink within an hour to 3 days after you work out, you're basically shutting off your long-term fat burning cycle. This is the cause of many TMAers crying out in the night "why, god, can't I learn the real kung fu".

The answer is you eat and drink crap. And if you want to be a kickboxer who eats crap all the time...there's no market for that, sorry. Jerry Springer, maybe.

Good article.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Moderation my friend. I eat very healthy. I don’t eat sweets. I only drink occasionally. i get a lot of excercise beyond training. I’m not new to this, I have 25 years in CMA. I’m 6’2” 210 lbs. not fat. I’m pretty sure I know a little bit of real gung fu. When I was younger I struggled to keep weight on with my workout schedule, I could barely stomach the amount of calories needed to maintain my body weight. in any case, a tasting and appreciation for fine liquor is a long way from being a drunk. In small amounts, alcohol may have some small health benefits. I don’t recommend drinking, but I’m not totally against it either.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Hello oily, what CMA do you practice? I am just always curious and looking for connections.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Moderation my friend. I eat very healthy. I don’t eat sweets. I only drink occasionally. i get a lot of excercise beyond training. I’m not new to this, I have 25 years in CMA. I’m 6’2” 210 lbs. not fat. I’m pretty sure I know a little bit of real gung fu. When I was younger I struggled to keep weight on with my workout schedule, I could barely stomach the amount of calories needed to maintain my body weight. in any case, a tasting and appreciation for fine liquor is a long way from being a drunk. In small amounts, alcohol may have some small health benefits. I don’t recommend drinking, but I’m not totally against it either.
Great. I'm not talking about moderating alcohol use in your diet.

I'm talking about combining alcohol with training. The science says "don't". And the number of years you've been training CMA don't really matter at all. I can name so many kung fu masters that succumbed to alcohol, opium, hernias...

If you drink any alcohol whatsoever within the same time as exercise, you lose benefits. 1-3 days. There are no health benefits with alcohol and martial arts training. It's science. That's why they call them "empty calories", dude.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello oily, what CMA do you practice? I am just always curious and looking for connections.
All of them. In particular, Leung Kwan's Southern Shaolin Iron Wire. He died from smoking too much opium, and by too much I mean more than zero.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tomorrow isn't promised. I worked with a guy who didn't eat meat and didn't eat sweets. I used to get mini talks about his diet. When I would tell him to enjoy cake. He died 20 years ago from cancer. He should have had the cake.

I always seek a balance. I'm out of balance now which is why I'm hitting the gym. But I have be sure not to overdo it. There's a cost to everything but sometimes the unhealthy stuff has other benefits. Positive life experiences and stress reduction often comes from something that isn't classified as being healthy. Like you said, it's about moderation.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Great. I'm not talking about moderating alcohol use in your diet.

I'm talking about combining alcohol with training. The science says "don't". And the number of years you've been training CMA don't really matter at all. I can name so many kung fu masters that succumbed to alcohol, opium, hernias...

If you drink any alcohol whatsoever within the same time as exercise, you lose benefits. 1-3 days. There are no health benefits with alcohol and martial arts training. It's science. That's why they call them "empty calories", dude.
How do you feel about weed and training? Asking for Joe Rogan and Eddie Bravo.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tomorrow isn't promised. I worked with a guy who didn't eat meat and didn't eat sweets. I used to get mini talks about his diet. When I would tell him to enjoy cake. He died 20 years ago from cancer. He should have had the cake.

I always seek a balance. I'm out of balance now which is why I'm hitting the gym. But I have be sure not to overdo it. There's a cost to everything but sometimes the unhealthy stuff has other benefits. Positive life experiences and stress reduction often comes from something that isn't classified as being healthy. Like you said, it's about moderation.
I try to balance everything but I’m no saint. We are all just people doing our best to figure it out. No one gets out of here alive,

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be able to remember what I was doing. I can see how that would throw me completely off. I can also see how that might help someone relax in bjj and think of new ways into or out a position. It might also interfere with proprioceptive capability. I suppose a chronic user might adapt to that state of mind and thus be able to get around these obstacles. I’m not going to guinea pig this one, but I hope someone with experience could speak to this. Interesting.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The EE "digital logic design" is a self study course. You study one chapter, you then take the test. If you pass, you study next chapter. This is an example that if the information is recorded completely, self-study is possible.

Many university course just require you to read a book. At the end of that semester, you write a paper. The teacher then grades on your paper. This is an example that even if the information is not recorded completely, self-study is still possible.

IMO, to learn MA before the 21th century without a teacher could be difficult. But today, it's possible.
Knowledge isn't the same as physical skills - there's greater transferability of knowledge via media. And some skills are more finite and limited in their variations, so more suitable to media and self-learning.

Learning a complex skill set without instruction is exceedingly difficult. A MA system goes beyond that, into physical principles that beginners don't recognize, misunderstand, etc.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You assume that 1 on 1 teacher and student relationship is always available. For many beginner classes, there are a lot of students in one class. Students can only watch what teacher shows them from a far distance. Class like this won't be any different from the online class with video and text book.

If a MA teacher is not willing to share his personal secret to his students, to study from a well recorded video/text can be better then to learn from that teacher in person.

This is why I believe the following information should all be recorded properly (in form, text, video, ...) and not just in a teacher's head.

- technique,
- principle,
- strategy,
- defense and counter,
- training method,

To assume the information should be stored inside a teacher's head is not the 21th century thinking.

View attachment 28029
I think you use "should" way too much, John. Not everyone has the same goals, needs, or priorities.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The EE "digital logic design" is a self study course. You study one chapter, you then take the test. If you pass, you study next chapter. This is an example that if the information is recorded completely, self-study is possible.

Many university course just require you to read a book. At the end of that semester, you write a paper. The teacher then grades on your paper. This is an example that even if the information is not recorded completely, self-study is still possible.

IMO, to learn MA before the 21th century without a teacher could be difficult. But today, it's possible.
I will try to make this as simple as possible. As simple as the learning method you describe.
Blue is a color. You can learn to recognize it by using a book or color chart. If you are never shown anything else about the color blue, this is all you will ever know beyond accidental or self-discovery.
In contrast, if someone shows you how to create different colors using blue, you base of knowledge has increased exponentially.
Does that make sense? Especially compared to being Taught a MA vs. reading a book.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any kind of smoking can injure the lungs, and the lungs are kind of important to martial arts.

That includes smoking food. Always turn away from the smoker before opening the hood, you don't want to breathe all those microscopic hickory cinders, trust me.

Both of those guys are famous, and I have a pet theory about famous people who hand out martial arts advice. It's not pretty.

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any kind of smoking can injure the lungs, and the lungs are kind of important to martial arts.

That includes smoking food. Always turn away from the smoker before opening the hood, you don't want to breathe all those microscopic hickory cinders, trust me.

Both of those guys are famous, and I have a pet theory about famous people who hand out martial arts advice. It's not pretty.
What is the theory? Just curious. I don’t have an opinion.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Check this out and tell me what you think. https://YouTube/Dp39GZ7yCrw

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you use "should" way too much, John. Not everyone has the same goals, needs, or priorities.
If something that I believe in 100%, I won't say that I only believe in 95%.

A: MA to me is as simple as "fist meet face" or "head meet ground".
B: Not everyone has the same goals, needs, or priorities.
A: I can only speak for myself. I can't speak for others.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You assume that 1 on 1 teacher and student relationship is always available. For many beginner classes, there are a lot of students in one class. Students can only watch what teacher shows them from a far distance. Class like this won't be any different from the online class with video and text book.

If a MA teacher is not willing to share his personal secret to his students, to study from a well recorded video/text can be better then to learn from that teacher in person.

This is why I believe the following information should all be recorded properly (in form, text, video, ...) and not just in a teacher's head.

- technique,
- principle,
- strategy,
- defense and counter,
- training method,

To assume the information should be stored inside a teacher's head is not the 21th century thinking.

View attachment 28029
Not certain what your exposure has been but that is far from accurate.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If something that I believe in 100%, I won't say that I only believe in 95%.

A: MA to me is as simple as "fist meet face" or "head meet ground".
B: Not everyone has the same goals, needs, or priorities.
A: I can only speak for myself. I can't speak for others.
When you say “should”, it implies others should share your priorities.

Latest Discussions