A MT argument while at work

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well i only got one post but i dont think TMA are practical for a street fight and im not just talking about Mcdojos sure theres exceptions...theres exceptions to everything...but TMA have a lot of set moves that are complex and complicated

Makavilli--Whoa, hang on a second there! TMAs work fine in real combat. Just ask the Korean Marines who decimated a much larger force of North Vietnamese infantry at the Battle of Tra Binh Dong in possibly the bloodiest hand-to-hand combat of any modern war (an account of which appears in the U.S. Marine Corp Gazette, reproduced in Stuart Anslow's new book on combat applications of ITF TKD forms). Those ROK Marines were trained in military combat applications of TKD in the form set forth by Gen. Choi, which included unarmed defense techniques against bayonet attacks and knife attacks, among other things. The Black Tigers were considered the most fearsome agency of the ROK military during the Korean war. They learned the ITF patterns and their combat applications, and inflicted tremendous damage on the North Koreans, fighting behind the NK lines in many cases. No one is saying you apply these poomsae moves literally---like the kata in karate, you need to know how to read them, because they were deliberately disguised. How many people who learn a chamber as part of a down block are taught that that chambering movement may correspond to an elbow strike to the assailant's head, or an arm bar strike on an attacker's grabbing arm trapped by the so-called `chamber' of the `retracting hand', which is retracting not to power up a punch, but as part of a hold on the attacker's trapped wrist? Or that the `down block' motion itself isn't a block, but a strike on the trapped arm, or the carotid sinus, or part of a throw imposed by imposing pressue on the attacker's throat while his arm is trapped? You are saying that these moves are ineffective?

if you guys have ever been in a street fight you would know that you get a big adrenaline rush and cant move properly besides trying to swing hard...i think moves from boxing and muay thai are easy enough and practical to use in a street fight plus they hit very hard

By your reasoning, if you hand a Glock 9 to someone for self-defense purposes who's never used a pistol, and that person comes under deadly attack, starts shooting wildly and panics, you are allowed to conclude from that that the Glock is an ineffective weapon. Because you start off talking about TMAs and suddenly switch to problems with training the techniques which TMAs comprise. But those are two different things, just as the effectiveness of a Glock 9 and someone's ability to apply that potential effectiveness are different things. You cannot justify a claim about the inherent effectiveness of any given art---TMA, MMA or anything else---based on traning practice. Because the same art can be trained effectively or ineffectively. Do you want to say that if those TMAs are trained effectively, they still aren't any use in a make-or-break combat situation? Think you could convince those ROK Marines that their TMA was useless because of the `complex and complicated moves' in ITF poomsae?

iof course if you train for 30 years in this TMA of your just trying to use it in a street fight im sure you will be able to handle the adrenaline dump by then but you can learn to fight much better with more practical arts i believe

You mean, training for real combat, using a training protocol which aims specifically at working with the adrenal shock wave using the toolkit of fighting techniques for some TMA (the way Iain Abernethy trains combat-effective apps of traditinal karate, say), will be less effective than training BJJ or whatever using the same protocol? Can you give some evidence for this claim?

OP
Hand Sword

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
well i only got one post but i dont think TMA are practical for a street fight and im not just talking about Mcdojos sure theres exceptions...theres exceptions to everything...but TMA have a lot of set moves that are complex and complicated

Ummm .... NO! You're way off on that one. Traditional strikes are way more damaging than punching fists, to an opponent. Besides that, the TMA stuff, Say Karate, for example, are very basic and explosive. Nothing at all complex about it.

if you guys have ever been in a street fight you would know that you get a big adrenaline rush and cant move properly besides trying to swing hard...i think moves from boxing and muay thai are easy enough and practical to use in a street fight plus they hit very hard

First, there is an adrenaline rush, however, once you start moving, you're good. Besides that, training is training, striking and kicking is what it is TMA or MMA. If you train correctly, you'll move fine. You can't have it both ways. If one group can swing hard without problems, then another group can too. If your theory of it not being possible to swing and hit hard, while adrenaline is present, then it would apply across groups.

of course if you train for 30 years in this TMA of your just trying to use it in a street fight im sure you will be able to handle the adrenaline dump by then but you can learn to fight much better with more practical arts i believe

Strikes are strikes, kicks are kicks, It comes down to how a person trains. With the right training, it doesn't take thirty years. Boxers aren't that good right off the bat either. They need time too, as does everyone.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Handsword---glad to see that we are of one mind on this! :cheers:

OP
Hand Sword

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's always good to have company in the Asylum!
icon10.gif

I'd also bring up another point which may, or may not be valid, How about types of people? I noticed early on that the Schools (The TMA side of this argument) used to be dominated by Fighters. It was all about self defense, very few women, and kids, mostly men. You could call them the quieter alpha males. As time went on, the schools would get populated by those that would get bullied by the alpha males. They would be the smaller, weaker, less coordinated, people. For them, it would take more time to get up to speed than the alphas, who are the natural athletes. These lessers became and are for the most part the population of the Dojos. The Alphas are the ones in the MMA/boxing gyms. Their personalities fit the training, as they did, when TMA training was hard core. Same reason why, at least from my life experience, street fighters always trashed (still do) the "Karate guys". The thugs are really the alphas, big, mean, agressive, and with a lot of fighting experience. Even with the training, the personalities/bodies of most TMA'ers now, are outgunned.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you have to compare apples to apples. A computer "geek" TMA, or MMA doesn't stand up well to the "fighters" (nature's assigned version). It takes the same types to match the same types. On that, TMA and MMA people hold their own just fine.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's always good to have company in the Asylum!
icon10.gif

I'd also bring up another point which may, or may not be valid, How about types of people? I noticed early on that the Schools (The TMA side of this argument) used to be dominated by Fighters. It was all about self defense, very few women, and kids, mostly men. You could call them the quieter alpha males. As time went on, the schools would get populated by those that would get bullied by the alpha males. They would be the smaller, weaker, less coordinated, people. For them, it would take more time to get up to speed than the alphas, who are the natural athletes. These lessers became and are for the most part the population of the Dojos. The Alphas are the ones in the MMA/boxing gyms. Their personalities fit the training, as they did, when TMA training was hard core. Same reason why, at least from my life experience, street fighters always trashed (still do) the "Karate guys". The thugs are really the alphas, big, mean, agressive, and with a lot of fighting experience. Even with the training, the personalities/bodies of most TMA'ers now, are outgunned.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you have to compare apples to apples. A computer "geek" TMA, or MMA doesn't stand up well to the "fighters" (nature's assigned version). It takes the same types to match the same types. On that, TMA and MMA people hold their own just fine.

That's a really interesting take... in a sense, you're saying that there's a built-in problem with comparing TMA/MMA practitioners, in that the choice of MA isn't symmetrical, but is skewed in terms of how comfortable the practitioner is with all-out fighting: those who kind of love it and are happy with it gravitate to MMAs these days, while those who don't really like it and learn MAs so that at the last resort they'll be able to come out in one piece are drawn to TMAs... that could be a big factor! Another great breakthrough for the Asylum! :wink1:

Can you think of any way that this idea could be further tested out to see how well it jibes with the way the world is?

OP
Hand Sword

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can only think of the peole in the dojos, we all know some, the ones that could beat the hell out of the ones that win in contests, on a regular basis. There the ones that you say "If I have to throw, I want them with me!". They are similar to the ones that I remember coming up, and at workplaces. They always took the TMA's, but, trained in them, focussing on the "real" applications. I remeber them doing just fine against boxers, and street fighters at the time. Even at work, I know Aikidoka that "represent" all the time, applying their "passive stuff" just fine, against some of the "scaries".

I only thought of this, because I see and remember some of the "lessers" training, getting into fights, and still losing, even against the "untrained". The studs are the studs, training aside. Unless you're one of them, you'll always be out gunned. Training helps a little to even it out, but, personality types plays a huge role IMO.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can only think of the peole in the dojos, we all know some, the ones that could beat the hell out of the ones that win in contests, on a regular basis. There the ones that you say "If I have to throw, I want them with me!". They are similar to the ones that I remember coming up, and at workplaces. They always took the TMA's, but, trained in them, focussing on the "real" applications. I remeber them doing just fine against boxers, and street fighters at the time. Even at work, I know Aikidoka that "represent" all the time, applying their "passive stuff" just fine, against some of the "scaries".

I only thought of this, because I see and remember some of the "lessers" training, getting into fights, and still losing, even against the "untrained". The studs are the studs, training aside. Unless you're one of them, you'll always be out gunned. Training helps a little to even it out, but, personality types plays a huge role IMO.

HS, I really think you're on to something there. And it's probably personality more than body-ability---a different mindset in the same body could have a really formidable result in many of the cases you're talking about. But there's that fundamental aversion to `getting down to it'... it's true: if it turns someone off, fundamentally, that person is just not going to do well in combat against those who have a bit of bloodlust. I suppose that with enough relentless training someone could catch up a bit... but I can also see someone of the kind you're alluding to just not wanting to train that way.

So once again, what you're showing from another angle is that it's not the art, it's the training along with the personality of the trainer (which determines to a large extent what kind of training they seek out)...

Very nice, very very nice point!

OP
Hand Sword

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That could be so. My friend who's 150 pounds soaking wet, (rope man, he calls himself) wins quite a bit. It's definite the alpha male personality. he's always outsized etc.. but, mind set is everything.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi makavilli68,

First of all, welcome to the Martial Talk Boards! I think it would be a good idea for you to go to the "meet and greet" section of the forums lists, and post an introduction of yourself to everyone. You can tell a little more about yourself than what is in your profile, and make a good impression on other MT members.

Now, as for your comments about "TMAs." I'll try to be polite yet very direct. Your impression of the content of the Traditional Martial Art curriculum and its effectiveness in real combat is not accurate. This is either due to a misunderstanding of Traditional training due to lack of personal experience in it, or being misinformed by others whose opinions you have heard and are now repeating as your own.

i dont think TMA are practical for a street fight ...TMA have a lot of set moves that are complex and complicated
Traditional Martial Art education always starts with basics, not complex and complicated moves. The beginner can become proficient and effective with self defense within a few months, and by one to two years should prevail in most average self defense situations. By the time they are Black Belt (3 - 5 years) they are perfecting the basics and beginning on the advanced, "complex" moves, however these moves are not "complicated" for those who have worked their way up through the basics.

None of these moves are "set," as you say, in the sense that they are rigid or stagnate in the learning process or application. After many decades of teaching, I know of the effectiveness from personal experience (what I was able to do in my youth as a beginner and how some of my students have performed, as beginners, when attacked in real life self defense situations). So this is not a guess, or I "think" Traditional Martial Art works well, it really does, and I'm not talking about the "exceptions" or the long time experts.

if you guys have ever been in a street fight you would know that you get a big adrenaline rush and cant move properly besides trying to swing hard...i think moves from boxing and muay thai are easy enough and practical to use in a street fight plus they hit very hard...
Personally speaking, yes, I have been in street fights, and I find your comments about adrenaline rushes to be more of your personal experience than the general rule of Martial Artists. In my early training, I felt very little adrenaline or nervousness during a street encounter, and had virtually no limitations on my movements. Each individual is going to be different as to the "fight, flight, or freeze" syndrome, but an instructor can prepare a student to deal with the adrenaline and still perform with speed and power. If your personal experience has been that you "can't move properly" or "swing hard" when you are confronted with an attacker, then I submit that your training has not prepared you in the way that the "Traditional Martial Art" that I am familiar with does. If it is not you that has experienced these problems, but you are getting this feedback from others, then I would question the source, and credibility of their TMA training.

of course if you train for 30 years in this TMA of your just trying to use it in a street fight im sure you will be able to handle the adrenaline dump by then but you can learn to fight much better with more practical arts i believe

Handsword and exile have made some excellent points, and brought up some insightful questions into the mind-set, and personality of those training more than the Art itself, but I also contend that proper instruction is designed to bring the "non-fighter" personality type up to par with the "alpha-male" to level the playing field. This can be done in a short time if the weaker, or less aggressive person is training, and the "alpha" person is not. However, if they both start training at the same time, it might take a bit longer for the less aggressive person to be able to match a trained alpha type.

In time, I believe the training equals all aggressive behavior out, and the alpha type no longer has the advantage. In fact, they might have a disadvantage if they do not learn to control the aggression. For instance, if you give the two types of people fencing foils, a small amount of basic fencing skills, and put them in a contest, the aggressive alpha type might become very frustrated with the fact that the finesse of the less aggressive opponent prevails. If Traditional Martial Art skills are taught correctly, size, strength, and aggression will give no advantage, and will most often prove to be detrimental.

Perhaps, makavilli, it boils down to what exactly is your definition of what a "TMA" is, what are its characteristics, and what points of skills you believe are lacking. With a little more research, I believe you will find that genuine Traditional Martial Art (when taught correctly by a qualified Master) is not lacking in effectiveness, even for a beginner, and their really is no such thing as a "more practical art" than TMA. Adrenaline, and complexity seem to be your main points of argument, and neither one are really a inhibiting factor in proper TMA training.

CM D.J. Eisenhart

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, Exile, that was an excellent post!

Just ask the Korean Marines who decimated a much larger force of North Vietnamese infantry at the Battle of Tra Binh Dong in possibly the bloodiest hand-to-hand combat of any modern war (an account of which appears in the U.S. Marine Corp Gazette, reproduced in Stuart Anslow's new book on combat applications of ITF TKD forms). Those ROK Marines were trained in military combat applications of TKD in the form set forth by Gen. Choi, which included unarmed defense techniques against bayonet attacks and knife attacks, among other things.

I have always heard about how tough the ROK Marines were but I never knew much about them. I know a few military veterans who were there and spoke highly of their effectiveness! Great information, thanks for sharing! :)

By your reasoning, if you hand a Glock 9 to someone for self-defense purposes who's never used a pistol, and that person comes under deadly attack, starts shooting wildly and panics, you are allowed to conclude from that that the Glock is an ineffective weapon.

That is a great analogy. I will have to remember that one.

You mean, training for real combat, using a training protocol which aims specifically at working with the adrenal shock wave using the toolkit of fighting techniques for some TMA (the way Iain Abernethy trains combat-effective apps of traditinal karate, say), will be less effective than training BJJ or whatever using the same protocol? Can you give some evidence for this claim?

I agree with you. I believe this article is great and may be of interest since it seems related to this discussion. Coach Sonnon isn't a doctor or scientist but he draws on known information.

The Media Myth of the Flinch Reflex

Reflex-based approaches in martial art offer physical preparedness in the shortest time possible. No other approach can render their speed of preparing effective combatants. All so-called "adrenaline-based/reality-based" systems are based on this. Any approach deliberately activating in training and platforming off of the endocrine system (adrenaline/epinephrine, norepinephrine, endorphin, aldosterone "dump" - deactivated by cortisol) are reflex-based systems. These systems seek to convert the 'fight, flight or freeze' reflex to a few select gross motor, high percentage 'techniques'. However, these approaches remain limited by their own basic doctrine (read belief system): gross motor only, platform off of so-called "hard-wired" reflexes, striking more effective, proactive aggression superior, et cetera. Their belief system creates their method of training, which in turn also reinforces their beliefs.
No action hard-wires your organism. Every behavior remains subject to the Laws of Conditioning. Platforming off of (and reinforcing) a reflex imposes upon the reality of the situation and thus never truly 'responds' to the event as it unfolds. If you only have a short amount of time, then this is a valid consideration.

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I agree with you. I believe this article is great and may be of interest since it seems related to this discussion. Coach Sonnon isn't a doctor or scientist but he draws on known information.

The Media Myth of the Flinch Reflex

Hmmm. Not sure I agree with all that. He makes some good points, but the problem with having multiple possible reactions is still the slow down speed, of Hicks Law, ie the more reactions you have, the longer it takes your body to choose between them. You also have the issue that during any aggressive conflict, determining specific techniques used against you will prove difficult, and you're better off learning the general motor response for attacks coming from a cetain direction rather than for specific techniques themselves.
However, I do agree with him that its not enough to leave it there, and instead you these gross motor skills as your basic armour as it were, and then further develop your tools or weaponry from there. I still think simplicty should be the over-riding principle of any technique or tool though.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
No matter how you have trained, when the moment of truth arrives YOU alone are the one that must make the choise to defend yourself. No system or technique or reflex or wathever will do this for you. Period.

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
No matter how you have trained, when the moment of truth arrives YOU alone are the one that must make the choise to defend yourself. No system or technique or reflex or wathever will do this for you. Period.

Wondefully deep and all, but not really much to do with the debate :uhyeah:
Ah, Im just messing.
Yes, you have to choose to defend yourself. But the manner in which you've trained will determine you're ability to do so, and having firmly developed a couple of gross motor tools as your reflex will be one of the better ways of creating that ability.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wondefully deep and all, but not really much to do with the debate :uhyeah:
Ah, Im just messing.
Yes, you have to choose to defend yourself. But the manner in which you've trained will determine you're ability to do so, and having firmly developed a couple of gross motor tools as your reflex will be one of the better ways of creating that ability.

I am not so sure of that. It seems to me this approach leaves very little room for adaptation and that, in my opinion, is second in importance only to your will.

However what does not work for me may work for someone else..

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am not so sure of that. It seems to me this approach leaves very little room for adaptation and that, in my opinion, is second in importance only to your will.

However what does not work for me may work for someone else..

Well thats the thing, unless you're conditioned to perform a response, its highly likely that you'll perform it under pressure. So unless you try condition that response into your system, then when conflicit occurs, you won't be able to utilise any coherent reaction, instead what occurs is a sort of a mix between a flinch and a half-remembred reaction.
On the other hand if you condition too many responses, then your reaction time will suffer, and possibly crash because its been overloaded.

I find that the best way for the body to develop responses is instead focus on a few general reactions, which are direction specific, rather than technique specific. So instead of having different responses for each individual technique, you have a few solid ones for the direction instead, ie for strikes coming forward, or from the upper right or left etc

That way you have a solid set of armour as it were that will hold up under attack, and from there you can adapt your response outwards to better suit the situation.
But that foundation is essential.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On the other hand if you condition too many responses, then your reaction time will suffer, and possibly crash because its been overloaded.

IMO, that is only for conscious thought. It takes far too long to process consciously all the pieces of information or data that is ever changing in a confrontation and formulate a response in time enough to deal with it. However, the subconscious mind is quite fast and can analyze far more data and formulate a plan of action far faster than the conscious mind. This is usually expressed in a "feeling" for the shape of the attack. The body will naturally and quickly respond to this feeling.

For instance, if you were to accidentally put your finger on a hot burner you will move it immediately without conscious thought. One doesn't consciously go through steps like:

1. Wow that is hot
2. I need to move my finger
3. Moving finger now

You will do it without conscious thought. In my opinion, it is this ability that takes time to get good or proficient at. If one focuses on a handful of gross motor skills then they can consciously analyze and implement them somewhat effectively, but they will be limited in their abilities under pressure.

Just my opinions and view points.

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
IMO, that is only for conscious thought. It takes far too long to process consciously all the pieces of information or data that is ever changing in a confrontation and formulate a response in time enough to deal with it. However, the subconscious mind is quite fast and can analyze far more data and formulate a plan of action far faster than the conscious mind. This is usually expressed in a "feeling" for the shape of the attack. The body will naturally and quickly respond to this feeling.

For instance, if you were to accidentally put your finger on a hot burner you will move it immediately without conscious thought. One doesn't consciously go through steps like:

1. Wow that is hot
2. I need to move my finger
3. Moving finger now

You will do it without conscious thought. In my opinion, it is this ability that takes time to get good or proficient at. If one focuses on a handful of gross motor skills then they can consciously analyze and implement them somewhat effectively, but they will be limited in their abilities under pressure.

Just my opinions and view points.

Thats not how gross motor skills work. The point of a gross motor skill is it becomes a reaction that doesn't require concsious thought. Fine motor skills are normally the ones which you have to think about.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I find that the best way for the body to develop responses is instead focus on a few general reactions, which are direction specific, rather than technique specific. So instead of having different responses for each individual technique, you have a few solid ones for the direction instead, ie for strikes coming forward, or from the upper right or left etc

That way you have a solid set of armour as it were that will hold up under attack, and from there you can adapt your response outwards to better suit the situation.
But that foundation is essential.

I see your point, and it has great merit. However focusing on "a few solid ones (techniques)" as you put it is still based in techniques rather than principles. Knowing the principles of movement one can adapt without concious thought to any situation. Knowing only the technique and not the principle, any adaptation will be more of a guess than an adaptation.

Latest Discussions