Train TMA but fight like kickboxer

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not certain what your exposure has been but that is far from accurate.
I had in my high school kung Fu class with 50 students in the class.

I also invited my Chinese wrestling teacher to live in my house so I can learn from him in person. I do know that not everybody has 1-on-1 opportunity to learn MA.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you say “should”, it implies others should share your priorities.
When you use the word "should", as long as you haven't said, "You are wrong.", it won't bother me a bit.

I say what I believe and people also say what they believe. We don't have to be so sensitive about this.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
In the following discussion, does B have a point? (Please notice that A uses "one" and not "you".)

A: If one wants to lean how to fight, he has to fight.
B: You should not shove your opinion into my throat.
Well that’s kind of how it goes.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Check this out and tell me what you think. https://YouTube/Dp39GZ7yCrw
I haven't watched off of it. stopped at the staff part. Holy cow. He's got a strong wrist and grip. It doesn't look exciting but it takes a lot of strength to hold that staff like that. And it wasn't some short light weight staff that they used in extreme martial arts performances. It's one of those things that's not impressive to people until try it and realize the truth from first hand experiences.

This is one of the reason why I wish people will would train martial arts as a functional system. At the very least they would get more appreciation for the system.. Thanks for sharing that video.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have asked the following question for more than 30 years now. Today, I still have not obtained any answer yet.

Someone said that long fist kick and Taiji kick are different. What's the difference? Also if you train both long fist and Taiji, when you stand in front of a heavy bag, will you do long fist kick, or will you do Taiji kick?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have asked the following question for more than 30 years now. Today, I still have not obtained any answer yet.

Someone said that long fist kick and Taiji kick are different. What's the difference? Also if you train both long fist and Taiji, when you stand in front of a heavy bag, will you do long fist kick, or will you do Taiji kick?
Unfortunately I only know one Taiji kick and it's a front kick like the one I use in Jow Ga. No difference in terms of mechanics. The only difference is in the forms

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately I only know one Taiji kick and it's a front kick like the one I use in Jow Ga. No difference in terms of mechanics. The only difference is in the forms
I don’t know a kick from a kick in that respect. I practice both Yang long form Tai Chi Chuan and Southern Wushu Gung Fu. No difference. other side of the same coin as I see it.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

No difference

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No difference
In the following discussion, I understand each and every word that B is saying. But I don't understand the meaning of his whole sentence. Can someone help me on this?

A: What's the difference between long fist kick and Taiji kick?
B: It may be no different in your training. But it's different in my training. Difference of emphasis, difference of training methods.
A: ???

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't watched off of it. stopped at the staff part. Holy cow. He's got a strong wrist and grip. It doesn't look exciting but it takes a lot of strength to hold that staff like that. And it wasn't some short light weight staff that they used in extreme martial arts performances. It's one of those things that's not impressive to people until try it and realize the truth from first hand experiences.

This is one of the reason why I wish people will would train martial arts as a functional system. At the very least they would get more appreciation for the system.. Thanks for sharing that video.
Are you talking about the part from around 8 to 8.5 minutes in? I was impressed throughout, but that absolutely requires a lot more strength than people would give credit for just watching without holding one of those.

@Wing Woo Gar if I read right in the other thread, that was your sifu correct? Very impressive, you are lucky to have trained under him. At 10:30-10:35 he also has a conditioning drill built into that 2-person form that is incredibly effective, but I've only ever seen done in my first school as a kid (and the later instructors when I went back to that school after college did not know it). Until just now, wasn't entirely sure if I made it up in my head.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They all have a habit of dying early. Wing Chun, Hung Ga, Jeet Kune Do.

Comparing them to the Tai Chi dudes, I'm of the mind those guys got it right. In the end.
The difference is that there is a sense of toughness that comes with Wing Chun, Hung Ga, and Jeet Kune Do. It doesn't only happen in martial arts but also in other fighting systems. People think that just because they are in great shape that nothing can kill them. So instead of going to the doctor when they should, they try to "fighting it out"with the illness.

I 've come across a lot of "tough guys" in my life who say "I'm going to sweat out this cold or fever" Instead of going to the doctor. Tons of these same guys were killed by Covid as well. A weaker person would be driving to the doctor as soon as possible. Women live longer for the same reason. If they get sick then they want to get treatment right away. (In general). Men are knuckles heads and think that it's something they can beat. The more fit a person is, the more of a knuckle head they will be.

I count myself in that group sometimes. It's not a good way to be and I hope I'll do better about taking care of myself.

Latest Discussions