tornado kick

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
My school teaches it as an axe "downward heel" kick. I recently learned the cressent and round kick version from YouTube. I tend to under rotate with the round variant, hurting my hip. Now, the axe and cressent I find quite simple.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd never use it in either the ring or street far to risky

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My school teaches it as an axe "downward heel" kick. I recently learned the cressent and round kick version from YouTube. I tend to under rotate with the round variant, hurting my hip. Now, the axe and cressent I find quite simple.

That's what you get from teaching yourself from videos that may or may not be showing correct technique. You may find the crescent and axe kick 'easy' but are you doing them correctly, to a proper instructor's standard not a video standard.

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's what you get from teaching yourself from videos that may or may not be showing correct technique. You may find the crescent and axe kick 'easy' but are you doing them correctly, to a proper instructor's standard not a video standard.
I don't rotate enough for the round kick. And really, I don't like it.

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Besides, there's nothing wrong with Practicing and studying on your own time such as a book, video, YouTube, magazine article or whatever.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides, there's nothing wrong with Practicing and studying on your own time such as a book, video, YouTube, magazine article or whatever.

There's nothing wrong with practising and studying on your own AFTER you have been taught to do it properly by a proper instructor in person who can correct your position, stance and technique...then you practice. If you don't 'rotate' enough it's because you have tried to teach yourself. It doesn't work. Instructors know different ways to show you how to do a technique, they know the difficulties people have and how to overcome those problems. It could be as simple as moving your foot half an inch but you won't know if you try to learn without an instructor there to watch and correct you.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Like has been said there is nothing wrong with it providing you already have prior training and you can use books as a resource and a reference. I read a story once in one of lee wedlakes books who's a kenpo 9th who trained with ed Parker and was one of his top students. He said he learnt a variation of a technique from a friend and he liked it and he showed ed parker and ed Parker ended up being able to poke him in the eyes and he made the point that while different things may look better there's always a reason we do it a certain way

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't rotate enough for the round kick. And really, I don't like it.

There's a very real possibility that the reason you don't like it is because you don't rotate enough, which then makes the kick weak and sloppy. I find it not at all uncommon that when a student tells me they don't like a particular technique, it's because they're not doing it properly. Do it right, and all of a sudden they like it just fine.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Except when what you "learn" is incorrect, or incorrect for the system you're training in. The you've done nothing other than create a situation in which your instructor has to make you un-learn something in order to teach it correctly.
Trust me on this. Instructors absolutely love spending all that extra time helping you unlearn stuff. Honest. Really. I'm not being at all sarcastic.

Well, maybe a little.

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
There's a very real possibility that the reason you don't like it is because you don't rotate enough, which then makes the kick weak and sloppy. I find it not at all uncommon that when a student tells me they don't like a particular technique, it's because they're not doing it properly. Do it right, and all of a sudden they like it just fine.
For sure, for sure. There is a cycle of self-limitation. It goes like this: I don't like technique A, so I don't work on it enough. I don't work on it, so I can't do it well. I don't do it well, so I don't like it....and the cycle repeats. I haven't tried to learn it yet because it's different from the method I already know. But I will.

Last edited:

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Except when what you "learn" is incorrect, or incorrect for the system you're training in. The you've done nothing other than create a situation in which your instructor has to make you un-learn something in order to teach it correctly.
Trust me on this. Instructors absolutely love spending all that extra time helping you unlearn stuff. Honest. Really. I'm not being at all sarcastic.

Well, maybe a little.
Do you think there is an issue with a student attempting to learn things outside of his current school/style? Unless you are enrolled in two different styles, it's hard to get traditional instruction on the other "stuff"

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Like has been said there is nothing wrong with it providing you already have prior training and you can use books as a resource and a reference. I read a story once in one of lee wedlakes books who's a kenpo 9th who trained with ed Parker and was one of his top students. He said he learnt a variation of a technique from a friend and he liked it and he showed ed parker and ed Parker ended up being able to poke him in the eyes and he made the point that while different things may look better there's always a reason we do it a certain way
Very true. It's next to impossible to dig your own foundation. When there is already good and solid structure, customization and adaptation become crucial.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For something like a tornado kick. I could see why it isn't a regular addition to a system. But I can't see an issue learning iton the side either.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think there is an issue with a student attempting to learn things outside of his current school/style? Unless you are enrolled in two different styles, it's hard to get traditional instruction on the other "stuff"

Of course. I've spent more than enough time trying to get students to unlearn things.

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I will say, I studied Tae Kwon Do Chun Do Kwan while continuing in Tang Soo Do. It was hard to keep them separate. I'm working towards my third degree black belt in Tang Soo Do and I'm testing this fall for black belt in Krav Maga. It is impossible for me not to look a bit Tae Kwon Do-ish durring kicking drills and to not go Krav at times. That's just become my personal flavor in martial arts.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I learn my curriculum, and anything extra is extra. But I learn my curriculum above all.

But it's unlikely that you know the entire curriculum, and when something new is introduced and you've "learned" it wrong from YouTube...

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding the O/P... I had actually forgotten the tornado kick, that's a reference from a LONG time ago, LOL!

I remember having problems trying to learn the damn thing, yes. There's a lot going on, and when you watch some of the Olympic level TKD people doing it, it's hard to see what it is that they're doing. I got in front of a 5th degree one time at a tournament and asked him what the heck my problem was. Guy laughed, and just told me, "Walk your way through it, then run, and then you'll be able to fly."

His attempt at being deliberately vague, and meant to make me just go train I thought.... but then I got so frustrated (probably his intent) I just did exactly what he said.

1. Walk through it -- in other words, let's say it's the right-side 360 roundhouse your're working towards. Start out left-foot forward, take a slow step forward with the right foot, turn your back to start the spinning action (still very slow, no jump) using your left hip to "pull" you around, put the left foot back down and do what is now the back leg, right side round house.

You've done a tornado kick, cool, huh. Admittedely very slowly, and without the jumping, but all the basic muscular movements are there -except for the jump.

DO the cycle of step, step, turn, reach, step and kick several times, slowly and then let yourself begin to feel how the momentum builds, in my understanding it was top-down, spine-turning torque that drives the thing.

At some point start a hopping action off of the R-foot where you'll end up itht he jump. Sooner or later you'll feel where and how hard to jump to get everything lining up and now you're running.

Then practice a gazillion times until you can fly.

Personally, I got mine to work fine on the R-side, but it was too slow for me. I'm built much better for Muay Thai, so I ended up switching down the road to leg kicks as they were meaner anyway.

Latest Discussions