Too deadly for competition rant

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Good point, and there's more to it: some styles just can't be forced into the rule set without turning the style into something else. Sure, one could pursue the competition venue but you would not really be using your style the way it is designed and intended to be used.

This isn't a "deadliness" issue. It's just fitting into the competition venue.

I'll throw out something else here: How much does sparring resemble the real techniques of your art? It seems like many striking-based arts have a body of self-defense techniques and kata where the meat and bones of their fighting SHOULD come from. But whenever they strap on the pads and do some free sparring, everyone looks very much the same: modified (and often sloppy) kickboxing. Some people are more intense or less intense with it, but it all tends to look very much the same, regardless of the root style in which they train. From what I've seen, in the context of free sparring and competition sparring, very few people are able to use their meat and potatoes techniques from their self-defense arsenal.

So maybe competition alters EVERY art enough to where it becomes something else. Looks to me like competition has its own distinct style, and either you include that as part of your training, or you don't, no matter what your root art is.

Yet another example from xue using sanda/sanshou :rolleyes:

There are different rules for different sanshou competitions and one could have trouble fighting in on mainland China that is rather successful in the US and vice versa. So rules can play a part in differences in certain sports matches. Take someone out of the College level Sanshou stuff in Hong Kong and throw them into a Beijing Sanshou match and it is likely they will get beat bad.

But sloppy sparing has more to do with someone not investing in loss to learn how to use it properly.

And in some cases competitions will alter an art if the competition side is emphasized over the traditional side. And if anyone wants proof of that look to TKD.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember one person telling me what I taught wasn't good. When I asked him why he said it wouldn't work in tournaments. Curiousl, I asked him what kind of tournaments and what his experience was in them. His reply was for point tournaments, and that he wasn't very good at them because he wasn't tall enough to jump and hit on top of the head for a point.

I just shook my head.....

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Punnisher's experience points out that even the type of tournament can vary enough that the amount of overlap between tournament technique and practical SD can also vary. I've never done point sparring, but I suppose I might be good at it based on the person Punnisher referrences; I am tall enough that I don't need to jump to reach anyone's head.:p

I do practice full contact sparring. In WTF rules, we do wear hogu, but we get hit off-armor and learn to deal with multiple attacks that don't stop coming just because one of the attacks scored a point. On the other hand, an MMA match will involve minimal padding, punches to the head/face and groundwork, not to mention the option to grab and trap an opponent's kicks and/or punches, all of which are expressly forbidden in WTF rules.

Daniel

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I don't know about anyone's argument for or against, but, I know the quote is true! Why? Because I am! Not because of of fierce skill set, but, because of my many years of MA inactiveness! My lack of control would be dangerous for all involved--including me! :p
icon10.gif

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
GBlues,

Not ALL martial arts techniques are designed to kill. Some are, some are designed to stun. Others are designed to trap and hold an opponent. There was a level of response even back in the feudal days of Japan and Korea.

Yea, I just got a busted lip this evening sparring. Got popped in the mouth with a jab (and we were not trying to hit.) That happens.

I've had seven stiches in my forhead from a roundhouse kick. My right front tooth was bent backwards by an elbow while sparring (I pushed it back strait and it didn't kill the nerve, but man did it swell up!) I've had black eyes and many a bruse. That is the risk you take to learn how to react when someone is trying to hit you. It's how you learn to read the other person in 'real time'.

What we don't do is go all out bare fisted and try to maim each other. Otherwise we do the same 'deadly' techniques we would use on the street. We learn control GBlues. You lean to control your technique to deliver the power, speed, and accuracy you need at that moment.

Deaf

:erg: I give up. :shrug:

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I Think Right Said Fred said it best

I'm too Deadly for my style too Deadly for my style
style's going to leave me

I'm too Deadly for my shirt too Deadly for my Shirt
So Deadly it hurts
And I'm too Deadly for the ring too Deadly for the ring
stadium and mat