Calling all competitors; need sparring gear advice

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm planning on actually competing in 2011 - something I never thought I'd be doing!

I have some sparring gear that I use in the dojo, but I'm not that fond of it.

Currently, I'm using Sparmaster gear - but it's essentially identical to a lot of other brands; that is, it's foam covered with a flexible plastic coating. I especially don't like the foot protector. The way the foot is designed, it makes my feet hurt - it just so happens that my big toes point UP, and the toenail digs into the plastic covering of the foot protector and it starts to hurt rather quickly. Not a dis on Sparmaster, their footgear just isn't working for me. I tried the next size up, but it's so big it flops around on my feet. It's not the size, it's the design.

So, I'm looking for some advice. I don't want to spend a ton, but I've got some time to save up, so I'll spend if I have to. Looking for sparring gear that YOU have used and recommend for competition; please no listings from Google searches, I can search Google too. I'd really like advice from those who have competed and have a preference for a certain type, brand, or style of gear.

This is for Isshin-Ryu karate competition, which is pretty generic in terms of rules - generally requiring head, foot, and hand protection, shin guard recommended. Some specifically forbid shoes that have covered soles, so tennis-shoe style shoes would not be permitted.

Any opinions, competitors?

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The dipped foam ones are very uncomfortable for me, also. The way the bottom "straps" are constructed is the problem for me, though; they can't be adjusted, so they tend to get in between my pinkie toe and the next one and aggravate me. And they stick to my feet in a yucky-feeling way.

I prefer the vinyl covered ones instead. There are several types; I like the Gladiator kicks by Proforce because they have elastic straps on the bottom instead of plastic--they're much comfier. Since they are lined with softer "stuff" than the dipped foam ones, they probably won't hurt your toes as much. Alternatively, you could go for kickboxing style kicks; they have a suede "pocket" for the toes instead of straps. I don't like those because I find that the pocket causes me to slip, but YMMV.

Currently, I spar in SAP gear (sapfightingtribe.com). It has closed point fighting gloves which are very light. The fingernails are covered, which I much prefer; I hate to fight women with long nails who are wearing those darned foam ones. You would need to check on the legality of closed gloves at your tournament, though. SAP footgear has yet another style of toe attachment; it has 2 loops of elastic. One goes around your big toe and the other goes around 2 or more of your other toes. It takes some getting used to, but is much more secure than the other types. Top Ten is a similar brand; also very good. Both of these are pretty pricey, though; a full set (head, hands, and kicks) of SAP gear runs $250+. Top Ten can be found a bit cheaper on eBay.

Unless you plan to spar and compete a lot, you might want to stick with the less expensive gear to start. I got my SAP gear as a combination birthday and black belt gift from my mom; otherwise, I'd still be using my Proforce Gladiator gear.

For other safety items, my boys and male students tell me that standard cups and supporters are not as protective as the vinyl-covered groin guards available from Macho and other brands. These provide more coverage and superior impact resistance, and don't have any hard or pointy edges to dig into you in tender areas.

If you care about broken noses and black eyes, you'll want a face shield. For the sake of your competitors, buy a plastic one, please! I seriously damaged a finger on a metal face cage. Zeepk makes a nice headguard with a very protective cage (available on eBay). I don't wear a shield unless required, but I've used the clear plastic ones and the Zeepk cage, and prefer the Zeepk.

Shin guards are a good idea, especially if you intend to jam kicks. The foam ones are awful, IMO; they just slip too much. Martial Armor makes good ones; I've used those, and also neoprene shin splint supports--they are cheap, and lighter/thinner than most alternatives.

Chest protectors--hate 'em. However, if you have a broken rib, you have to wear one or risk pneumothorax. I have a foam rib guard that attaches in back with velcro, and prefer that to the full hogu (the thick ones with the red/blue dots)--those are stifling, and make me feel like I can't move.

Hm...can you tell I've tried a lot of different types of gear? :)

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The dipped foam ones are very uncomfortable for me, also. The way the bottom "straps" are constructed is the problem for me, though; they can't be adjusted, so they tend to get in between my pinkie toe and the next one and aggravate me. And they stick to my feet in a yucky-feeling way.

Yes! I also hate that 'sticky/slimy' feeling! Also, they tend to take a lot of time for me to force-fit them over my feet - they've got no 'give' to them. When Sensei says "Get your gear on, NOW," he means NOW...LOL...

I prefer the vinyl covered ones instead. There are several types; I like the Gladiator kicks by Proforce because they have elastic straps on the bottom instead of plastic--they're much comfier. Since they are lined with softer "stuff" than the dipped foam ones, they probably won't hurt your toes as much. Alternatively, you could go for kickboxing style kicks; they have a suede "pocket" for the toes instead of straps. I don't like those because I find that the pocket causes me to slip, but YMMV.

I saw pictures of the ones with the 'pockets' you mention online, and I was wondering the same thing; so thanks! And I just looked up the Gladiator kicks you mentioned - I think that might be just the ticket! Thanks!!!

Currently, I spar in SAP gear (sapfightingtribe.com). It has closed point fighting gloves which are very light. The fingernails are covered, which I much prefer; I hate to fight women with long nails who are wearing those darned foam ones. You would need to check on the legality of closed gloves at your tournament, though. SAP footgear has yet another style of toe attachment; it has 2 loops of elastic. One goes around your big toe and the other goes around 2 or more of your other toes. It takes some getting used to, but is much more secure than the other types. Top Ten is a similar brand; also very good. Both of these are pretty pricey, though; a full set (head, hands, and kicks) of SAP gear runs $250+. Top Ten can be found a bit cheaper on eBay.

I can probably get along with my current Sparmaster dipped gloves - I know they're legal for competition and they don't give me much trouble, except that I've jammed a finger or two trying to block a kick; probably my fault for my technique sucking.

Unless you plan to spar and compete a lot, you might want to stick with the less expensive gear to start. I got my SAP gear as a combination birthday and black belt gift from my mom; otherwise, I'd still be using my Proforce Gladiator gear.

This is not a new career for me; I'm doing this as a 50th birthday present to me as well as a 2011 New Year's Resolution and just a general goal for my own improvement; I like setting goals and meeting them. All I really want to do is see if I have what it takes to compete, if I can win, then yay me; I have no illusions that I am great or even good, and I've got no ego in the game.

For other safety items, my boys and male students tell me that standard cups and supporters are not as protective as the vinyl-covered groin guards available from Macho and other brands. These provide more coverage and superior impact resistance, and don't have any hard or pointy edges to dig into you in tender areas.

For that, I'm actually pretty happy with my Shock Doctor stuff. Seems to do the job; the wedding tackle is not unhappy.

If you care about broken noses and black eyes, you'll want a face shield. For the sake of your competitors, buy a plastic one, please! I seriously damaged a finger on a metal face cage. Zeepk makes a nice headguard with a very protective cage (available on eBay). I don't wear a shield unless required, but I've used the clear plastic ones and the Zeepk cage, and prefer the Zeepk.

I was planning to just wear a head protector - we don't wear them in the dojo (some do, it's optional) and we don't (intentionally) strike to the head when sparring (or in tournaments, but I understand it can happen). I wear glasses, so I'll have my racquetball-style prescription goggles on if they let me wear them under my helmet; which will also protect my eyes from a thumb. I did see a female black belt take a thumb to the eye in a recent competition, it was pretty bloody.

Shin guards are a good idea, especially if you intend to jam kicks. The foam ones are awful, IMO; they just slip too much. Martial Armor makes good ones; I've used those, and also neoprene shin splint supports--they are cheap, and lighter/thinner than most alternatives.

Fortunately, I have shins like tree trunks, so the foam dipped ones seem OK to me; they're at max extension by the time I get the velcro wrapped around, so they stick like glue. But I'll certain look at the others, thanks!

Chest protectors--hate 'em. However, if you have a broken rib, you have to wear one or risk pneumothorax. I have a foam rib guard that attaches in back with velcro, and prefer that to the full hogu (the thick ones with the red/blue dots)--those are stifling, and make me feel like I can't move.

Probably not for me, unless I do happen to be injured at the time, in which case I'd reevaluate competing at all...hope not!

Hm...can you tell I've tried a lot of different types of gear? :)

Yes, and thanks for the benefit of your experience!

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Rather than getting footgear that are larger, you might want to try getting them a size smaller. So that they don't quite cover your toes. They aren't a striking surface anyway, after all. As long as your heel and instep are covered, I doubt the officials would care much.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rather than getting footgear that are larger, you might want to try getting them a size smaller. So that they don't quite cover your toes. They aren't a striking surface anyway, after all. As long as your heel and instep are covered, I doubt the officials would care much.

No offense, but I wouldn't advise that. I've known more than one person who has broken a little toe wearing footgear that was too small. Some orgs also ban "ill-fitting" gear.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
No offense, but I wouldn't advise that. I've known more than one person who has broken a little toe wearing footgear that was too small. Some orgs also ban "ill-fitting" gear.

None taken. But that foam dipped padding isn't going to prevent a broken toe one way or another. It's not designed to absorb force that way.

I wore an ill-fitting pair for the better part of half a decade. No harm done. Though I can certainly see that some orgs might be concerned about it. Worst danger it poses, to my mind, is not protecting your opponent from overly long toe nails.

Stuart

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill, they're making some padded shoes that may be acceptable, and just what you need. I'm not sure who's making them -- but they're a "real" shoe design, but their padded. I think they were originally designed for TKD, maybe?

Latest Discussions