Tom Callos and the Ultimate Black Belt Test

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey all. I've been radio silent for a couple of months. This is because I went and joined the Ultimate Black Belt Test. Details at www.ultimateblackbelttest.com.

I cannot adequately describe what an enlightening, energizing rush this is. Absolutely amazing. I'll pop up from time to time with more details of the experience as it progresses. The requirements are insane, the community is fantastic. And the effect its having on my training, my health, my family life and my friendships is...well...beyond my meagre capacity to describe.

Seriously, I recommend this program unqualifiedly for any school owner or professional instructor on the board. For anybody else....my only complaint (if it can be called that) is the requirements are so rigorous I don't see how anybody with a non-martial arts full time job could find the hours in a day.

Still, hop on the website. Check it out. Read the online journals. It's amazing stuff.

Yours in Bushido.

J

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I remember talking with you about this last year. Awesome that you decided to go ahead with the test, and I hope you're having a lot of fun. Certainly sounds like it.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations on taking on the challenge. Good luck with completing it. It looks formidable.

But Good Lord, that website is the most confusing unreadable, distracting POS I've seen since the days of Minsky's Worst of the Web.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey all. I've been radio silent for a couple of months. This is because I went and joined the Ultimate Black Belt Test. Details at www.ultimateblackbelttest.com.

I cannot adequately describe what an enlightening, energizing rush this is. Absolutely amazing. I'll pop up from time to time with more details of the experience as it progresses. The requirements are insane, the community is fantastic. And the effect its having on my training, my health, my family life and my friendships is...well...beyond my meagre capacity to describe.

Seriously, I recommend this program unqualifiedly for any school owner or professional instructor on the board. For anybody else....my only complaint (if it can be called that) is the requirements are so rigorous I don't see how anybody with a non-martial arts full time job could find the hours in a day.

Still, hop on the website. Check it out. Read the online journals. It's amazing stuff.

Yours in Bushido.

J

Is it really $10,000??

OP
B

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tellner, you're right it's very confusing. Mr. Callos has many talents, web design is not on the list.

Blotan...I'm not sure yet. My tuition is $250/month ($3k), and I'll probably spend another $1000 on events. If you factor in flights, room and board, etc. I'll probably go through a total of $7k or so.

By all reports from people who've done it, though...my rising energy level, access to movers and shakers and simple positive publicity means it pays for itself in the first 6 months (once again a reason I only recommend for us fortunate full timers).

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tellner, you're right it's very confusing. Mr. Callos has many talents, web design is not on the list.

Blotan...I'm not sure yet. My tuition is $250/month ($3k), and I'll probably spend another $1000 on events. If you factor in flights, room and board, etc. I'll probably go through a total of $7k or so.

By all reports from people who've done it, though...my rising energy level, access to movers and shakers and simple positive publicity means it pays for itself in the first 6 months (once again a reason I only recommend for us fortunate full timers).

Bushidomartialarts, I am really glad this is working out for you. Still my BS meter really goes off on this particular challenge. It does seem like they are making an extravagant amount of money off individuals who could do all of this witout having to pay the exorbinant fees. Still judging by your experience so far I am assuming it is worth it to you and I sincerely hope that it does inspire you and fulfill your desires and goals.

Good luck and keep working hard.
icon6.gif
Even if I may not agree with it or with this particular companies marketing I hope that you make your goals and that in the end it is simply a great experience for you.
icon14.gif

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bushidomartialarts, I am really glad this is working out for you. Still my BS meter really goes off on this particular challenge. It does seem like they are making an extravagant amount of money off individuals who could do all of this witout having to pay the exorbinant fees. Still judging by your experience so far I am assuming it is worth it to you and I sincerely hope that it does inspire you and fulfill your desires and goals.

icon6.gif
Even if I may not agree with it or with this particular companies marketing I hope that you make your goals and that in the end it is simply a great experience for you.
icon14.gif

Ditto what Brian has said good luck and let us know.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ditto. Id feel like I was getting scammed, but my opinion doesnt matter. If YOU believe you are getting your dollars worth thats all that really matters. Good luck.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cost on this makes me skeptical. The challenges are impressive, to say the least -- but I question the relevance of many of them to the martial arts. But, hey... Go for it. It's your money, your time, and your life. If you feel the program is positive and worth the investments, than it is. After all, if you don't do it -- what would you be at the end of a year?

One thing I respect about Bill Phillips's Body For Life program is that he puts it out there, with no more expense than reading the book. If you get the book at the library, it'd be free... There aren't many other weight loss/health improvement books that do that...

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, darn. The link is now broken, so I cannot quote what I wanted to quote. Instead, I'll have to paraphrase. In that article, he said that this gu y was 36 years old (or thereabouts), and that most martial artists retire at around that age. However, this guy was going to do all of these things....

Okay, now, where I am confused is this..... I am under the impression that the really good Teachers are the Old Men (like AT LEAST in their mid fifties).

Retire??? Is this guy a MMA guy or something?

Does anyone else agree???

OP
B

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, darn. The link is now broken, so I cannot quote what I wanted to quote. Instead, I'll have to paraphrase. In that article, he said that this gu y was 36 years old (or thereabouts), and that most martial artists retire at around that age. However, this guy was going to do all of these things....

Okay, now, where I am confused is this..... I am under the impression that the really good Teachers are the Old Men (like AT LEAST in their mid fifties).

Retire??? Is this guy a MMA guy or something?

Does anyone else agree???

You're right. It's 36 is YOUNG in martial arts, though old for most competition.

My UBBT team has a couple of guys over 60, one of whom has volunteered to bump his requirements to 500,000 pushups & situps in one year.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

icon6.gif
icon14.gif

The cost on this makes me skeptical. The challenges are impressive, to say the least -- but I question the relevance of many of them to the martial arts. But, hey... Go for it. It's your money, your time, and your life. If you feel the program is positive and worth the investments, than it is. After all, if you don't do it -- what would you be at the end of a year?

One thing I respect about Bill Phillips's Body For Life program is that he puts it out there, with no more expense than reading the book. If you get the book at the library, it'd be free... There aren't many other weight loss/health improvement books that do that...

I have to agree with the above. I respect your choice, motivation, and determination in choosing to follow this program, but I have my doubts about the amount of money charged and the ultimate relationship between the program and its actual relationship to most martial arts. I wish you luck and the best possible outcome to your experience.

Latest Discussions