At What Age?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread sort of goes with a thread I started in the Kenpo section on high rank. My questions are as follows:

What do you feel is the best age to begin training?

If someone starts at a young age, at what point do you feel they're ready for black belt?

What are your thoughts on young kids that are wearing a black belt?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do not belive inkids holdng black belt rank I feel there is a mental as well as physical ability to holding the rank and Ido not belive most kids have that ability.
As for what age i guess it depends on what they are training in and the physical demands of the system and the punishment you want to put them through. I know some systems and instructors get rich from teaching kids as young as 3 or 4 but Ihave to debate if they are learning a martial art or sport or just mimicing movement with no idea of what they are doing and the damage it might cause others

Are these kids disaplined enough to learn and not play at preschool movements?

Now someone born into a family of martial arts practioners may well learn the moves at an early age and mimic the movements of their elders and might be able to go up in rank fast as it is totaly part of their everyday inviorment, but again I ask do they realise the implacations of all the moves?

sorry folks no spell check on tis machine

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, First any age above 3 years old can start, those over 40 years,50 years + and up.....doesn't make a difference when you WANT to learn. The key is? You want to learn NOW...start NOW and don't think of your age, which has nothing to do with wanting to learn martial arts.

Best time to start off course, the younger you begin is always advantages. We perfer anyone over 5 years-12 years old is a good starting age. This is common sense...youth has it advantages because the body can handle the excercise better and recover faster.

To fight professionaly requires a younger body (16-30's plus) anything older..the body recovers slower, moves slower because as you age...the body is slowing down in growth and most likely moving in the down position of life (the Peter Princple)-research this!

Everyone is built different, each person will progress on their own speed, and growth.

If you want to start? ...just go for it! Age is not important here! The will to learn is most important if you want to train in the martial arts.

Aloha ( only time it is too late to learn...is when you life is over!)

PS: Late for class ...is not good either!

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I started when I was 15, which I think was a great age. I wanted to learn karate since I was six, though, which I think would have been too young.

As for when the best age to start is...ideally and all other things being equal, perhaps 12 years old.

As for young black belts, I have difficulty accepting the credibility of any black belt under the age of 16...preferably 17. That's my personal preference, though.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe in black belts before age 18... and I could argue for at least 21 years old. That's me; the system I train won't allow you to even test until you are 18. Nice congruence there...

Best age to start? Hard to say. I'll teach kids as young as 7, with the qualifier that I decide whether or not the kid has the discipline for training with me -- not his/her parents. I'm reluctant to teach kids below 9. With a five year minimum training time, 13 to 14 might be argued as ideal to start in my system. But, I know kids who started earlier and did just fine.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm thinking ahead to this, myself.

I'm 28, and am testing for my 2nd black this year - My first son just turned 1 on Monday.

Everybody keeps asking if/when I'll start him in Karate.

I'm torn - I know that he'll be watching me do Karate as he grows up, and will want to mimic me, also, he seems to be fairly coordinated so far, so I hope he does well. Soon he'll be on the back of a horse, and learning to ride as he grows, because it will be more natural for him. The motions of karate may come to him more naturally if he starts younger (say 4 or 5), but he won't understand what they mean. But, what's wrong with a good grounding in body awareness?

On the other hand, I'm kind of partial to making him wait, just to build interest. I'm afraid that he may get into Karate because "it's the thing to do", and take the training for granted, and lose interest. If I make him wait for a couple of years, he'll be watching me, interest will grow, and when I finally allow him to start, he'll be more appreciative of karate.

I'm also debating on when to start him with sword training, as well. My training partner has a 2-year old, and I imagine that they will have many bouts as they grow up together.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This thread sort of goes with a thread I started in the Kenpo section on high rank. My questions are as follows:

The age at which the student is both interested and sufficiently coordinated to participate in a meaningful fashion. This answer is, I realize, pretty useless - but there are way too many variables in different arts, instructors, classes (all kids, all adults, mixed, split by rank, etc.) to be able to give a specific age.

If someone starts at a young age, at what point do you feel they're ready for black belt?

Again, this is going to depend on the student, the instructor, the art, the circumstances... I can't really give a straight answer. I've known 14 year-olds who were black belts, mind and soul - and I've know 40 year-olds who were very large, physically mature children not yet ready for the responsibility of being a black belt. I will say that I think all black belts should have sufficient depth and breadth of knowledge to be able to teach color belt ranks... so while again, this is going to vary, anyone too young/immature to do that should not be a black belt.

See above.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe that 10-12 would be a good age range to start training. They are getting close to being a teenager and becoming more mature. At the same time on the latter end of the range they are getting close to high school and al the pressures involved with it, so I believe that it would be a good time to start. Ive seen lots of kids at my dojo and theyre attention spans are very long.

I dont believe in kids hold Black Belt ranks either. 18 would be the age I would choose, its when you become an adult legally and therefore are labeled as mature enough to handle the responsibilities of being an adult. Same should be said for a BB. Plus I know that size and power dont often matter when it comes to training, but seriously give a 12-14 yr old a BB and to me it seems like a false sense of security. Now I know that there are exceptions like in my case I was 6'1" 200lbs when I was 14, but not many kids were my size or even close.

B

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can speak for myself and family, me when I was three and my sone started as soon as they could walk so I see age differently than most. BB is depending on what Art and the curriculum is for said Art.

TKD allows Junior BB though the Kukkiwon and they are called poom belts, Karate has some Junior BB as well, something Like MMA around 16-16 I would guesss, Muay Thai the start around 9-7 oversea's. Here in America we put limits on what acild can or cannot learn why I have no ideal.

Anyway these are my beliefs and that is my story.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont agree with child black belts for all of the reasons highlighted above. I dont think it makes for good attitudes either.

I think the ideal age for starting training would be around 12, although I accept there are exceptions out there.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Truthfully I think starting age depends on each person.

As to children with black belts. Well I do not believe in this. I think the earliest age should be somewhere around 18 to 21. Just my opinion.
icon6.gif

jus_dann

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i put my kids in TKD at ages 6&7
after a year, i started teaching them CMA & FMA
i keep things pretty limited, more into develoupmental
they are now 8&9
my 8yr old daughter is a natural grappler so we do brazilain "tickle" jujutsu
my 9yr old boy is more into boxing and stick fighting
they both do pushups,crane leg lifts, and stances when they get into trouble
jakob, my boy, is very short and skinny for his age (4`3" and 50lbs)
but he can do a solid 1 minute horse stance (inward toes and level thighs)
and about 50 pushups..on a good day, i also started poking his in the abs and ALMOST knocking the wind out of him and now i can backfist him from around the corner, blindsided, and it hardly phasing him
he said "i love you making me so tough dad. the bigger kids dont pick on me as much" My daughter can do 25 real pushups, pass gaurd, and knows finger chin-na. the boys at school dont mess with her much either.
sometimes we go outside and box and kickbox (with me and each other)
i think (hope) that i`ve hit the sweet spot with both of them

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do not believe in kids holding black belt rank I feel there is a mental as well as physical ability to holding the rank and I do not believe most kids have that ability....

Are these kids disciplined enough to learn and not play at preschool movements?

...but again I ask do they realize the implications of all the moves?

I agree! I believe there is a certain amount of maturity that must happen first. IMO, mimicking the moves (albeit in perfect form) is not the same as "learning". However, I DO NOT think that an "One size fits all" age is appropriate either. I think each person should be judged on their own merits, character, skill, and maturity level.

P.S. I fixed the spelling errors in my quote!
icon6.gif

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do not belive inkids holdng black belt rank I feel there is a mental as well as physical ability to holding the rank and I do not belive most kids have that ability.

Nor do I.......

I have to debate if they are learning a martial art or sport or just mimicing movement with no idea of what they are doing and the damage it might cause others

I believe they are just mimicing what they have been shown

Are these kids disaplined enough to learn and not play at preschool movements?

No...

Now someone born into a family of martial arts practioners may well learn the moves at an early age and mimic the movements of their elders and might be able to go up in rank fast as it is totaly part of their everyday inviorment, but again I ask do they realise the implacations of all the moves?

Yes..Look at the Gracie Family

sorry folks no spell check on tis machine

No problems..And the youngest age should be 10-12 yoa

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Obviously it varies from person to person. I would like a child around 7-9 years old to start training. I have had one exceptional child that started at age 4 and he was heads above some 11-12YO students. But he was quite an exception.

I am going to get flamed on this but eh. When it comes to kids and BB, I don't have a problem with it as long as they understand that they have a "junior" BB ranking. I will allow them to test for an adult rank at 16 if they have worked hard enough and shown great development.

Drac, on your mimicing comment. Isn't that what most do until they reach a BB level? I see it all the time even in the adult ranks. I don't feel it has to do with age, but has to do with knowledge of and maturity in the arts. JMO.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know you are looking for something in general however, “training” can start very early in one’s life. As long as you keep the training within the realm of the childs attention span and abilities just as they are trained in any other aspect of life or sport. We start children in other sports very young. Baseball, Football, Soccer. Why not martial art training. In other sports we develop self confidence, teamwork, social skills, ideals of sportsmanship, fairness, attitude as well as physical and mental health. Why not martial art? Many of the attributes needed in other sports are also needed in martial art. One of the biggest differences I see with the other sports is they are used for a 3-4 month period some stretch out to 6 months then there is a break in that sport training.

So, best age to begin is as soon as the child is able, provided a program is available to meet the shorter attention span.

At what point are they ready for black belt would depend upon the requirements the school and art place upon black belt. At my training center I don’t believe a child could fulfill our requirements however, IF one Did then they would be bestowed the rank of Black Belt. In the martial art world the problem I see of children being BB is the different standards from school to school as well as systems. What you hold to be BB material and ability may be less or more than what another does. In many of the posts on this forum many have stated once you become BB you are ready to start learning.??? In my training center and the systems we train when you get past white belt you are ready to start learning! When you get to BB you are ready to instruct on your own! So a child will most likely never make BB with us.

My thoughts on the young that are wearing a black belt is if they, their parents and the school truly feel they are BB; that tells me much about the standards of the administration and that school as to what a BB is. That said; their standard isn’t for me to decide but for them to.

Danny T

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, When this question is ask? ..many times is because we see very young kids under 12 years wearing a Black belt.

It just means these kids met the requirments of there school promotions policy.

12 years or younger Black belt is never going to be the same/equal as a 15,16 or older Black belt, in size, power, thinking,quickness, ("yes", there are exceptions).

Question than becomes? Should we promote kids to Black belt level?
Note:some schools have a Junior rank first and as they age into the older level than can test for Senior Ranking Black belts.

Personal I feel....junior ranking Black belt is OK, as long as they know they still need to earn and test for an Adult level Black belt, when they get older (maybe 16 and up?).

A Black belt today does not make your a :Bruce lee.....it just means you pass your school requirements, (even the minumum amount too).

Aloha (Black belts....it seems to lose it true meanings).

atinsley

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There is no set age, every one is different and begins to do things at different ages. My youngest just turned 3 and when I am working out at home and doing push ups, she will get down next to me and do some (3-4, but correctly done) with me. Granted, she is only mimicking what I am doing, but she is doing it at age 3 and actually started doing this at about 2 ½.

It all depends on the person and the policies/rules/requirements of the art/school/instructor/association they are joining.

This all depends; it depends on if they are mature enough to understand what a black belt means, it depends on whether their instructor believes they are ready for a black belt, it depends on if the art/school/association they are in allows it and believes they are ready, etc. There are way too many variables to accurately give an answer to this question.

For the most part, I don’t believe age should have anything to do with it; it should all be based on the person’s level of understanding, their maturity and attitude.

Can they physically perform at the level of a black belt? Can they mentally perform at the level of a black belt?

In a lot of cases, age has nothing to do with this. I know several adults who will never have the level of physical and/or mental maturity that is required to hold a black belt rank but on the other hand, I know of several children that do.

If you understand what is required, have met the requirements of the art/school/instructor/association, have the right attitude, then yeah, I have no problem with it, no matter what your age is.

--------------
/rant on

I have a serious problem when people try to restrict things based on age (don’t get me wrong, there are some exceptions to this, and certain things should be restricted.)

People put an age on things and think that when someone hits that “magic” number, they will automatically transform into a different person, someone who has the right attitude, level of maturity, education, understanding, etc., to allow them to partake in whatever that thing is. This is complete crap; just because someone has a birthday doesn’t mean they are any different then they were the day before.

The law says that one cannot purchase a handgun until they are 21, but there are many people out there that are well over the legal age to purchase a firearm, but I wouldn’t trust them with it, yet the government does because they are past that “magic” age. Think about it, if you are 20 on Monday and 21 on Tuesday, did you really change overnight to a different person just because you had a birthday? Not likely. You are still the same person, with the same beliefs and maturity level that you had the day before.

So as far as I’m concerned, age should not be the deciding factor in allowing someone to do or not do something. There are many other factors that must be considered as well.

/rant off

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would like to adda question. How many of youanswering that you disagree with a kid wearing a BB are either, under BB rank currently, or started at a later age? Or Have you been shown up by a younger student?

Not trying to start a fight, but is this affecting your answer?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would like to adda question. How many of youanswering that you disagree with a kid wearing a BB are either, under BB rank currently, or started at a later age? Or Have you been shown up by a younger student?

Not trying to start a fight, but is this affecting your answer?

This is an exellent question, I know I had adult started with me and then fought my son Zachary who is 13 and he gats the best of them ven though I tell them how ihe is and his talent level. Then when he kicks them with full force thay get mad and start to cry about a litlle boy getting the best of them.

I'm not trying to start affight either.

Latest Discussions