Black Belt Testing

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We had our last testing of the year yesterday. It is more than testing every year. We spend a lot of time in fellowship and enjoy a fantastic meal prepared by everyone in attendance. Our GM goes into more detail than usual with everyone testing, another way it is unique.
There was a 60 year old woman who was testing for black belt. Physically, she was what you would expect for someone of her age. Not particularly flexible or strong. She was very nervous. Our GM really turned the screws on her mentally and I really expected her to start crying. Instead she respectfully stood there at attention, cited everything she was asked and performed all the required material and more. After a long form where she repeatedly had to hold a position as GM went into detail about the move, she briefly took a knee. Then calmly stood back to attention and looked toward the front of the room. Clearly ready for more, which she got.
As I get older I am thankful that I notice these little nuggets more than I did in my youth. It is just harder as we age. Her grit and Martial Spirit was truly inspiring. Made a great testing even better.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOVE it!!! Thanks for sharing :). Watched a black belt Kyokushin grading a few weeks ago and man, inspiring...

But those little things you mention are gold, and especially knowing the person who is grading and what limitations they have, for them to show such vulnerability, courage and spirit is just beautiful to witness...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We had our last testing of the year yesterday. It is more than testing every year. We spend a lot of time in fellowship and enjoy a fantastic meal prepared by everyone in attendance. Our GM goes into more detail than usual with everyone testing, another way it is unique.
There was a 60 year old woman who was testing for black belt. Physically, she was what you would expect for someone of her age. Not particularly flexible or strong. She was very nervous. Our GM really turned the screws on her mentally and I really expected her to start crying. Instead she respectfully stood there at attention, cited everything she was asked and performed all the required material and more. After a long form where she repeatedly had to hold a position as GM went into detail about the move, she briefly took a knee. Then calmly stood back to attention and looked toward the front of the room. Clearly ready for more, which she got.
As I get older I am thankful that I notice these little nuggets more than I did in my youth. It is just harder as we age. Her grit and Martial Spirit was truly inspiring. Made a great testing even better.

Can't begin to tell you how much I love this.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

My Mom (older than the lady in this story) recently got her black belt. Up until then she kept saying how she'll get her black belt and stop there, how it's so hard and she'll be amazed if she ever did it.

Within a week of getting her black belt she was planning on when she can go for 2nd degree.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wish I could do an agree too.

Latest Discussions