To defend myself, do I need to carry a weapon?

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is an excerpt from a post in my blog:
There are many various ideas out there, each with their own merit and reasoning.There are some instructors that push to carry a knife for self-defense. That the knife is the great equalizer, as it’s sharp blade skillfully applied will render strength and physical size of an aggressor to be of minimal consequence. Other instructors push that one should carry pepper spray, as pepper spray properly used can incapacitate most aggressors quickly and without the dangers or consequences of a knife. And so on.
In the end if you carry something, how quickly and efficiently have you practiced to deploy it under duress? Are your empty hand skills sufficient to end an assault? Do you live in an area that is more dangerous and carrying a tool would be useful? Or do you live in a relatively safe area where having such a tool will bring the wrong attention?

Read the full of the article on my blog.
Also, constructive comments to help me improve writing is always appreciated.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The problem with weapons is not only whether or not a person is sufficiently trained to use them, but also if carrying weapons will lead to automatic escalation of violence. If you carry a knife are you going to pull it before it's necessary and make things worse?

I used to carry a knife and even thought about purchasing a firearm if Illinois gets a concealed carry law, but I've decided against it for now as I've thought that it might encourage me to "try my luck" in a situation I should just escape from, or if i'm in some sort of scuffle where i shouldn't use it someone might reach for those weapons if they see them on my person and now things are worse for me.
I carry a kubaton on my key chain. It gives extra oomph if i need to strike someone. I don't have to worry about going to prison for stabbing or shooting someone now.

After all self-defense needs to include not only the physical training of martial skills, but also how to avoid the situation entirely and how to deal with legal issues that could occur if you did hurt someone.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Before committing to carry a concealed weapon, one must also have made the decision that if necessary, one will kill in self-defense. I don't say that lightly; many may say they are prepared to do so, but in the moment, they may find they cannot. A deadly weapon, once deployed, may inflict deadly wounds whether or not the person using it intends to kill in self-defense. That's a moral decision that the person needs to be very certain of, before making the decision to carry, IMHO. If you can't kill, that is not a bad thing, but it does mean you should probably not be carrying a weapon which could kill without your intention.

One must also be proficient, considering the number of people killed with their own weapons after being disarmed. No knife or gun is a magic wand; you don't wave it around and things get better. From my point of view, if I were to draw a concealed pistol, for example, it means that someone is about to die. Not a 'threat'. I mean for real. Hopefully not me, but if my weapon clears leather, the next sound will be BANG. No waving it around, no threatening to shoot, no warning shots. Draw, aim, fire. If there is not sufficient cause for me to do that, then I go to prison. If I get the weapon taken from me, I may die and innocent people in the area may die because of me.

Being trained in empty-handed self-defense hopefully gives one a level of capability that does not have to include deadly force (although it may). Concealed weapons such as knives and guns are inherently deadly; it is often only by chance that they do not kill when employed in self-defense.

In other words, once the weapon is in your hands, everything changes, even if you don't end up using it. It was perhaps life-and-death; but now there is no doubt about it. You're on a new level now. Someone is about to die.

Not directed at you, but anyone who thinks they can shoot to wound, or cut someone intentionally in a way that doesn't kill them, is being very foolish. Deadly weapons are deadly. That's their purpose. If you use them, prepare to kill or be killed.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The more skilled I have become in various ways, the more I am convinced that the most important factor in any situation is luck.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not directed at you, but anyone who thinks they can shoot to wound, or cut someone intentionally in a way that doesn't kill them, is being very foolish. Deadly weapons are deadly. That's their purpose. If you use them, prepare to kill or be killed.
It is also useful to note that should you be forced to use a deadly weapon, you can count on many fun-filled hours spent with law enforcement.

OP
wushuguy

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you can't kill, that is not a bad thing, but it does mean you should probably not be carrying a weapon which could kill without your intention.

Exactly. A lot of people carry some toy or trinket to feel better, others with a bit of training will carry. I used to often carry a pocket knife because I had use of it for work, but also for self-defense. However the more I thought about it, although knowing somewhat how to use it, the consequences of it was more than I want to deal with. So my option ended up being a mini flashlight which is useful in dark areas. too small to use as impact weapon, but can use to give me a little extra firm punch.

Thanks for all the insight.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an excerpt from a post in my blog:

Read the full of the article on my blog.
Also, constructive comments to help me improve writing is always appreciated.

Nice article! :) I agree with what you said. I've said similar things....in that people often carry a weapon and think that just because they're carrying something, they're already a step ahead. Well, sure, to a point, but...as you said, that weapon needs to be easily deployed, and the person using it, needs to know what they're doing.

I've had debates with fellow Kenpoists and weapons use. Their take is that you can simply pick up the weapon, and using the Kenpo concepts, be adept with the weapon. I disagree with that, because IMO, while it is possible to do that, that will be the extent of your knowledge. Unless you're spending the time to learn the ins and outs of a weapon, why bother carrying it?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think Bill said what most needs to be known. Nothing more, and more importantly, nothing less.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is not a matter of what is best, like Youre putting it. Theres no statistic thats going to make You better at using a Knife in SD than Your Hands. Your Hands ARE enough, more than enough, if You are fitted to use them.
Some People just arent able to flourish with Unarmed Combat. Some People just arent able to flourish with Knife, Stick, or Firearm Combat, where others exceed at it.
Really, its Personal Preference. If YOU feel that YOU are more comfortable using a Weapon, use one. But if Youre more comfortable Unarmed, or if Your Reflexes are to attack Unarmed, Arming Yourself is counterproductive to Self Defense, and will more than likely get You hurt, or put You at a disadvantage.

Do what comes naturally to You.

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The big issue with carrying a concealed weapon is knowing when to use it. Having a leathal weapon in your back pocket is no use if it stays there but equally you can look forward to a long time behind bars if you cause serious injury or death to an aggressor who is simply mouthing off and posturing. Unfortunately most people who carry weapons with a mindset to use them become reliant upon them and often become somewhat trigger happy. Not a path that I would advise any of my students to go down (especially given the aftermath that most people with a moral compass experience after having hurt someone even with justification). Improvised weapons on the other hand such as keys, sticks , bottles etc are a different matter and one of the first things I teach students is to be aware of their environment.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say I disagree with this small part of your post:

Unfortunately most people who carry weapons with a mindset to use them become reliant upon them and often become somewhat trigger happy.

I think the trigger happy myth comes more from the media than actual experience. The better trained you are with a weapon, the less "trigger happy" you become. I remember a video by shooting expert and legend Jeff Cooper where he recounted the story of a student of his shooting school. The man owned a small convenience store and after he had gone to the shooting school, his store was robbed. He deployed his pistol, and did not fire, but held the suspects till the police arrived. Cooper related that on questioning the student as to why he didn't shoot the suspects, which in the situation he had justification, the student responded, " I didn't feel I needed to, I was in control of the situation and from that control, there was no pressure to shoot." So, I think that training makes it less likely, in most cases, not all, that someone will react improperly with a weapon. Trigger Happy is something that comes up more with untrained individuals.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
The big issue with carrying a concealed weapon is knowing when to use it. Having a leathal weapon in your back pocket is no use if it stays there but equally you can look forward to a long time behind bars if you cause serious injury or death to an aggressor who is simply mouthing off and posturing. Unfortunately most people who carry weapons with a mindset to use them become reliant upon them and often become somewhat trigger happy. Not a path that I would advise any of my students to go down (especially given the aftermath that most people with a moral compass experience after having hurt someone even with justification). Improvised weapons on the other hand such as keys, sticks , bottles etc are a different matter and one of the first things I teach students is to be aware of their environment.
I believe there is a bigger risk.
Someone attacks You.
Somehow You find a chance to produce Your Knife.
Now, for HIM, its Survival. And that means, it isnt Hurting You any more. Its Killing You. To Defend Himself. Youre making HIM Defend HIMSELF. Mindset wise anyway. And that can be more dangerous than just prevailing in Unarmed Combat.

kbarrett

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree with much already posted, I would add this everything around you can become a weapon when needed, so do you have to carry a weapon no, but having knowledge on how to use weapons will help in time of defense becuase, you'll know to grab what's ever available and use it as a weapon. Ken

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
The big issue with carrying a concealed weapon is knowing when to use it. Having a leathal weapon in your back pocket is no use if it stays there but equally you can look forward to a long time behind bars if you cause serious injury or death to an aggressor who is simply mouthing off and posturing. Unfortunately most people who carry weapons with a mindset to use them become reliant upon them and often become somewhat trigger happy.

I think it is the opposite, knowing that I am carrying *something* makes me less likely to escalate something stupid because I know just how bad it can go even if the other guy does not. What is your experience wtih people carrying weapons being "trigger happy?"

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it is the opposite, knowing that I am carrying *something* makes me less likely to escalate something stupid because I know just how bad it can go even if the other guy does not. What is your experience wtih people carrying weapons being "trigger happy?"

I agree with you. In fact, there is also the ever-present fear that if you do have to draw your weapon, or if you are surprised an unable to do so, your weapon may be found or taken from you and used to kill you. No one can kill me with my own weapon if I'm not carrying one.

I suspect many people think citizens who carry concealed get a 'big man' syndrome not unlike a jerk with a gigantic SUV who drives like he owns the road. I've never seen it to be the case. It is generally, in my experience, the more mature and adult members of society who take the time and effort to seek a concealed weapons permit in the first place.

And regardless of whether one wants to believe "more guns, less crime," it is now absolutely true that more guns does not, under and circumstances, end in more crime. The 'blood in the streets' solemnly predicted by anti-gun people has never happened. The sky, it seems, did not fall.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you NEED to carry a weapon?

No.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think it is the opposite, knowing that I am carrying *something* makes me less likely to escalate something stupid because I know just how bad it can go even if the other guy does not."

I see both sides of this. If you are a person with any sort of compassion and sense you will probably not escalate the situation but I've known enough people in my life who lack common sense to know that there are some individuals who would very quickly weild a weapon for intimidation as opposed to using it when only necessary. I've had a client who was shot because he brandished a knife on someone who was beating up his sister. If he was going to use it he should have used it, not just brought it out to scare the other guy.

OP
wushuguy

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Right, that's why I feel there's no "catch all" answer to the question, but one must find his own answer by research and training. With training, common sense, and if one has the will to use it or not. As said in other posts as well, if a weapon is brought into play, the dynamics change, the agressor can suddenly become a defender, instincts change, and if one pulls out a knife just to intimidate and without training, that's recipe for disaster.

So carry a weapon or not is really preference, however I believe that people in all martial arts should at least touch on or practice the subject a bit more, as from what I have heard it's more common nowadays that violent conflict when it happens, often involves some kind of weapon, improvised or otherwise. While FMA boasts this as one main aspect, and other arts might delve into it more than others (I've heard hapkido, hwarangdo, and kenpo get into weapon defense a lot) I know other arts as well touch on the subject (Karate, TKD, etc.), but perhaps many instructors don't go into enough detail or maybe weren't taught in detail originally....

How do you guys think about it? Do you need to train or practice against or with modern sized knives, or are traditional empty-hand techniques enough?

I see both sides of this. If you are a person with any sort of compassion and sense you will probably not escalate the situation but I've known enough people in my life who lack common sense to know that there are some individuals who would very quickly weild a weapon for intimidation as opposed to using it when only necessary. I've had a client who was shot because he brandished a knife on someone who was beating up his sister. If he was going to use it he should have used it, not just brought it out to scare the other guy.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you intend any kind of realistic self-defense training you MUST incorporated edged weapons, blunt weapons, and fire arms of different sizes and makes. You must not only practice defense against such weapons but also how to attack with them. How can someone possibly be expected to know what is going through a knife weilder or gun weilder if they have never picked up and trained with the weapon themselves.

It's important to get into the mind set of the enemy you are training to encounter and one should ask himself "If I were the guy with the knife what would I do with it knowing what I know from my training? If i had no training what might I do with it?" Too often I see clips of someone defending against a knife attack that is one large lunging thrust or a wide WIDE swing. That's not realistic, it may be a good place to start as a beginner but one has to practice knife defense against realistic knife attacks like someone trying to shank you. Gun defense is the same, no idiot is going to stand perfectly still and point a gun at you. If they are that close they are probably also grabbing you and moving you to a secondary location.

If you were a psycho and you had a weapon what would you do if you wanted to take someone's money, life, or dignity? That's how weapon defense training should be run.

thegatekeeper

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't carry a weapon myself unless I knew there was going to be grave danger, but I can see how one can help....

Latest Discussions