carrying a weapon

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
In Melbourne, Australia where I live I honestly find I have no need whatsoever to carry a weapon (plus our weapon laws are strict). Through viewing the many posts on here it seems that every man and his dog carries one. I even see posts such as 'where do you carry your back up knife'. Seriously, is America such a dangerous place that a concealed weapon is necessary or is everyone just doing what it says they can do in the constitution? I know there are voilent areas but I struggle to believe it is necessary most of the time.

Cheers
Sam

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
No, it's not necessary in america. There are places where it might be a good idea to have one. I'm sure Australia has those places to. Most Americans do not carry concealed weapons all the time. Maybe, and this is just my opinion, those posters live in those areas, or deal with that reality in some manner most of the time, maybe on the job. In that case, it's better to have and not need, than to not have and need.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
america isn't that dangerous. honestly, i think most people who carry routinely are either stroking their testosterone or carrying mostly because they like weapons and enjoy having one.

i'm armed about half the time and i'll be the first to admit it's because i like knives. i carry a knife to carry a knife.

i am, of course, excepting cops and security guards and other people who go into dangerous situations for a living.

honestly, if you wind up someplace dangerous in the states, half the time it's dangerous 'cos some other bozo was carrying a weapon for one of the two reasons i mentioned above.

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
(stepping onto a soapbox)

There are some folks who carry items that can be improvised in a pinch should they need to. A good, thick pen, a comb, and your house keys can give an attacker something to think about as you distract them by pummeling. Umbrellas, canes, or a rolled up magazine or newspaper can land a solid hit in a hammer fist blow. It's up to you; the mind is the best weapon at your disposal.

(stepping off the soapbox)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its not that dangerous here, but also keep in mind the environment. There are Americans that pack...of the ones that do, many choose to keep the conversation restricted to people that share their interest.

I don't pack, but I wouldn't hesitate to whip my laptop at someone.

(Sorry Hand Sword...thinking again....I'll run away now...)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Many of the bad guys do carry some kind of weapon in America? Makes getting money and other things easier?

Crime is everywhere? Our jails are overflowing and to make room they let criminals out early only to let them do it again(crimes).

Repeat offenders get smarter when release, because they learn how to get away (lessons)from other people in jail.

Amercia is still a great country ask any criminal...who get so much freedom to do what the want untill caught? only to be release on parole?

Like self-defense practice makes perfect and the more you do over and over the better you get?

Why do you think martial arts are so popular here in America? ....Many of us NEED to defend our selfs and family?

Other than that.....it is a safe place to live compare to? .....mars? ...Aloha

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I thought they were popular because, at least to me, they've become great day care centers.

icon12.gif

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
Hey, no thinkers allowed! Only barbarians (or Bozo's) and their outright weapons are allowed!!

Duhhhh...Sounds good to me...

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
Drac said:
Duhhhh...Sounds good to me...

(grunt, slobber, drool) ... Crunk SMASH!!

*Whackity, whackity, whack whack whack!*

"No Crunk, no! Bad Crunk! Give that nice mugger back his arm! No, not like THAT!"

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
Right, enough comedy.

There are still lots of places where folks still keep their doors unlocked and neighbors know the full names of other neighbors. Hence, a lot of people don't find it necessary to carry a knife or a gun. And even if they do, there's still a very large chance they'll never use that gun except at a target range. That pocket knife will be used to cut apple slices for a child instead of (literally) disarming an attacker.

These are only tools, after all.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Often times, I carry a pistol, knive, pepper spray, and an ASP. It might seem a little excessive, and I know exactly why I do it. I've been in some rough situations, mainly durring my military carreer, and the thought of something like that happeing without having any weapons at all scares the crap out of me. So I'll admit it, it's like having a security blanket after a bad nightmare.

Jeff

L

loanbanker

Besides training in Kenpo I also train with the knife. I have almost always carried a knife even before my training. Its just now I understand the dangers of no knife vs knife and the difference having a blade can make.

I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't generally carry a weapon (unless you count a 1-inch Swiss Army knife... but I mostly use that to open boxes). I try to be constantly aware of my surroundings, and if I'm worried, I have my keys out for easy access... and if necessary, my car key can go between my fingers. Weapons can be lost, stolen, taken away in a fight.. and since I don't train with one, I see no reason to carry something more likely to be used against me than by me.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
thetruth said:
In Melbourne, Australia where I live I honestly find I have no need whatsoever to carry a weapon (plus our weapon laws are strict). Through viewing the many posts on here it seems that every man and his dog carries one. I even see posts such as 'where do you carry your back up knife'. Seriously, is America such a dangerous place that a concealed weapon is necessary or is everyone just doing what it says they can do in the constitution? I know there are voilent areas but I struggle to believe it is necessary most of the time.

Cheers
Sam

It's simply an issue of personal responsability.

Simply put, my self-defense, the defense of my family, and the defense of my community is not the military or law enforcements responsability. My self-defense and that of my family and community is ultimatily my responsability. And, our laws basically state this fact. Therefore, it is important to carry the tools for the job.

This is no different then my health being my responsability and not my doctors. It is not my doctors responsability to monitor the food that goes into my mouth, to buy my multi-vitamins, and to make sure I proper exercise. My doctor is there in case I have a problem that exceeds my ability to deal with, but he is not there to be responsable for my personal health.

I can list countless examples of things that are up to the individual to be responsable for, and not society or services around them.

But that is what it boils down to. And, if more people took personal responsability for themselves, then society would be a much better place to live.

Paul

Latest Discussions