To all the MA instructors

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
How is the economy affecting your school? Are you having more trouble attracting and/or retaining students? Do economic downturns usually result in lower attendance at your school? Are you thinking of lowering prices to attract students?

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A few of our students have lost their jobs, however, our enrollment is strong so far. We are very busy.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I run a small school out of my church. So far, it's not been an issue.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have had the standard fluctuations that always occur. I am willing to work somethingout with a student to keep them training(cleaning, assisting with class, etc.).

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We've had the normal turnover, but, our enrollment has actually increased quite a bit.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How is the economy affecting your school? Are you having more trouble attracting and/or retaining students? Do economic downturns usually result in lower attendance at your school? Are you thinking of lowering prices to attract students?

I train at a small private garage school, and nobody in our group would consider dropping out unless we were beyond desperate, economically speaking.

However, the economy will make it harder to afford flying-in our assn. leader to give seminars. And it has made our instructor more cautious about opening up a public school. Those plans are on hold at the moment.

Regarding my second art, enrollment seems to be down a bit at the FMA class I attend. And if my FMA instructor should ever close up and go private, it will be really hard to drive the 50 or so mile round trip to his garage and stay married! I hope he stays in business, because I hear divorce is really rough.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We are down at the moment but I am hoping for a strong push in January. If not I maybe closing the doors and going into my garage for training.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've lost a couple to job issues. One'll be back eventually, I know... 'cause he keeps doing this. The others? We'll see.

Right now, we're trying to pull some more students in anyway... I'd like a core reliable group of around 6 to 9.

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
We are down at the moment but I am hoping for a strong push in January. If not I maybe closing the doors and going into my garage for training.

CLOSING YOUR DOORS?!!!!! What happened to your tkd resolution for 2009? Remember 200 students!! Believe and it will happen!:asian:

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
With all the talkabout garage schools(where I started was a garage school), it makes me think about doing that more and more. The idea of dropping the rent payment makes me feel al tingly, I hate my landlord.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
And if my fma instructor should ever close up and go private, it will be really hard to drive the 50 or so mile round trip to his garage and stay married! i hope he stays in business, because i hear divorce is really rough.

lol!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Training Hall has not observed any issues. We are just a tiny place with a core group of people. That is the way I hope to keep it!
icon6.gif

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach at a Y, and my only expense is insurance - so I don't see anything changing unless the Y revamps the schedule and drops me, which I don't see happening after 9 years there. If they did, I'd check into space in a school near my house, as I have several friends who teach out of public schools. Worst case, I'd probably start teaching in my basement.