TKD Referee Training

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I spent the day yesterday at a WTF referee seminar, my first. I've always thought of myself as a competitor first, but now I'd like to turn to refereeing to keep learning the various aspects of our MA. What we covered was quite a bit, and I guess a little overwhelming. There's so much involved in refereeing a match. Being a competitor is easy.:wink1:

Those of you here who have experience as Taekwondo referees, what do you think makes a good TKD referee, and from your match experiences what can you recommend for someone new to the Taekwondo referee world to work on to make them a competent referee and judge?
:asian:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is easy keep yopur feeling inside and never get cought with your hand in the cookie jar, the hardest is maintaining a perfect balance between fairness. I see so many bias ref. just because someone made the Olympic team or is on the National team, the get the better calls while on the matt.
Terry

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bias is a hard thing to over as a ref/judge. I came across it often as a kickboxing judge. I never had students who fought, but the "that fighter's from your area" accusation, occasionally. And yes, its harder than it looks.

Good luck:asian:

C

chogyunim

you can't please everyone all the time. there is ALWAYS going to be someone who thinks you are calling the wrong shots or favoring one player. you just have to trust your own judgement.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From an ITF-style perspective, the most important job of the referee is the safety of the participants.

We have 3 levels of referee, with different primary responsibilities:

Class C: corner judge (for sparring), patterns judge

Class B: time keeper, score keeper

Class A: center referee

Training is on-going, with senior referees training those with less experience both in seminars and at events - class B referees are in charge of training class C referees; class A referees are in charge of training class B referees; the Chief Referee at a tournament is in charge of overseeing ongoing training for all referees present.

The key thing to remember in refereeing is there are always two losers: the person who loses the round, and the referee.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've attended a USAT referee certification seminar under Master Randy Waitman, but neglected to pay for certification, wish I would have now...not a bad set of skills to have and allows you to stay involved in the sporting aspect when you can no longer compete

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
cali_tkdbruin said:
I spent the day yesterday at a WTF referee seminar, my first. I've always thought of myself as a competitor first, but now I'd like to turn to refereeing to keep learning the various aspects of our MA.

Congratulations! I enjoy refereeing (best view in the house!) and am happy you are giving back to the art by continuing to participate.

cali_tkdbruin said:
Those of you here who have experience as Taekwondo referees, what do you think makes a good TKD referee, and from your match experiences what can you recommend for someone new to the Taekwondo referee world to work on to make them a competent referee and judge?

A good referee is someone who does not draw attention to himself or herself-they are only part of the game, the focus should be on the competitors.

Practice your hand signals and commands in the mirror. Act with confidence and be consistent. Have fun!

Miles

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Miles said:
Congratulations! I enjoy refereeing (best view in the house!) and am happy you are giving back to the art by continuing to participate.
Miles
Cali-Bruin I have to agree with Miles

As far as what it takes to be a Referee:
1) Men and Women of good character.
2) Men and Women who desire to do the job with the recognition of their bias's.

Things a referee can do to help themeselves:
a) Know the rules and keep current the changes
b) Practice the Officiating signals
c) Recognize your bias's and try to deal with them
d) Get experience and review yourself both internally and with your refereeing friends (sometimes it's hard to hear, but as Plato says "that which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
e) Go to one of the Certified Referee clincs (USAT and AAU have them).

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with what has been said thus far. From my perspective, I would give this advice to any referee: Keep your eyes open, your mouth shut, and study the rules!

"Keep your eyes open." Many referees and judges simply don't pay attention enough to the action. They look sleepy in their chair, they watch other rings, or just don't keep a sharp awareness of what happens so they can award points (judges), or assess penalties (referees). You have to look at the center of action and use your peripheral vision to take in everything, and remember who did what to whom.

"Keep your mouth shut." Too many judges, and referees get themselves in trouble by talking to athletes, coaches, parents, or each other about match results. According to WTF rules, this is a big "no-no." Do not discuss anything with anyone except tournament officials (IE: arbitration board). Don't tell anyone "you should have won that match," or "the other judge didn't score fairly." Keep your comments to yourself, and don't lose your cool. Just smile and say "good job!"

"Study the rules." If you know the rule book front to back, you will be able to apply them properly durning a match, and avoid having your decisions officially "protested." People will sometimes "grumble" when they lose, but they will be less likely to challenge you if you look professional and confident, and you know the rules. When you are questioned by an arbitration board, you should be able to give sound answers as to why you made a particular judgment call which coincides with the rule book.

Safety is of the utmost importance. Fairness should be automatic (if not, you should not be a referee). The Referee is there to help manage the match, and encourage a smooth, uninterrupted display of the athletes talents. Any competitor who attempts to gain an advantage by violating rules should be penalized appropriately. Be fair - be consistent - and be solid and confident in your commands. Practice, practice, practice. Go to many seminars, and referee at many tournaments to gain experience.

Good Luck!
Chief Master Eisenhart

OP
cali_tkdbruin

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Miles said:

Miles

Thanks, you're right, it is the best view in the house, no doubt because you're right in the middle of it. I don't want to give up being the competitor just yet, but I'm getting older, AHHHHH! So, since I still want to stay involved, this is the best option.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still compete, even if it's at the golden seniors (grey beard) level, but becoming a TKD ref is something else I need to do to stay involved.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is a great way to stay a vital part of the art. We need as many "people of good character" as we can get to be in the middle of the action. You sir, definitly qualify.:asian:

OP
cali_tkdbruin

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
It is a great way to stay a vital part of the art. We need as many "people of good character" as we can get to be in the middle of the action. You sir, definitly qualify.:asian:

Thanks Ice, I appreciate it... :asian:

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've also decided to take it to take that next step. I've been a competitor, and a coach, but I've become so disheartened by too many of the referee and judges that's it's come time to quite complaining about it and do something about it. Put up or shut up, eh? I've ref'd our local matches, so I'm not unfamiliar with what I have to do, but I need to become USAT certified. And more mat time to build my confidence. I'm hoping to be ready for this spring's local invitationals. If I accomplish what I set out to do, it will be a positive experience.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Gemini,

Buffalo NY May 19-21, training and tournament National Qualifier.

Deadline for applications 1 May.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TX_BB said:
Gemini,

Buffalo NY May 19-21, training and tournament National Qualifier.

Deadline for applications 1 May.

Thank's for the heads up, sir!

kanjc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The thing you have to always keep in mind is, if you are the center ref then, it is your ring. Don't let coaches or masters intimidate you. If they don't like how you are ref'ing, then they need to take it up with those running the tournament.

OP
cali_tkdbruin

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
kanjc said:
The thing you have to always keep in mind is, if you are the center ref then, it is your ring. Don't let coaches or masters intimidate you. If they don't like how you are ref'ing, then they need to take it up with those running the tournament.

I'll keep that in mind because this Saturday (3/18/2006), I'm taking the plunge and will be getting my first TKD refereeing experience at the Golden State TKD Open here in So. Cali. Being that it's my first time as a ref, it's just as nerve racking as being a competitor, or maybe more so. I hope I remember all I've learned in my ref training especially when the scrapping action get's hot.

When I spar in the dojang or at tourneys I just react by nature, but when you're a ref there's so much more involved mentally, and just maintaining control of the match you're overseeing.

Just hope it goes well and I don't make mistakes.:lookie:

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
cali_tkdbruin said:
I'll keep that in mind because this Saturday (3/18/2006), I'm taking the plunge and will be getting my first TKD refereeing experience at the Golden State TKD Open here in So. Cali. Being that it's my first time as a ref, it's just as nerve racking as being a competitor, or maybe more so. I hope I remember all I've learned in my ref training especially when the scrapping action get's hot.

When I spar in the dojang or at tourneys I just react by nature, but when you're a ref there's so much more involved mentally, and just maintaining control of the match you're overseeing.

Just hope it goes well and I don't make mistakes.:lookie:

Cali:

Where is this tourney in So. Cal?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wish I'd have been make it. So, how the experience for you? Inquiring minds want to know.

Latest Discussions