Closed Gap!

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would like to say that I am asking this question with the utmost respect for all of you and TKD!

1. How prepared are you to "duke it out" with a assailant who has closed the gap...and is standing toe to toe?

2. What are the tactics that you are taught to counter a caught kick....at all points caught at the ankle...caught at the knee...caught at the thigh!

3. If you are grounded what are the escapes if any that you are taught?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
SAVAGE said:
1. How prepared are you to "duke it out" with a assailant who has closed the gap...and is standing toe to toe?

Happens a lot in sparring. (Punching's scored and allowed to the face+ back of the head in USTF rules, so we have to deal with it when we're in that range) I like to hunt for counters and set up kicks at that range. (It's amazing how well a high turning kick works in that situation if they're trying to rush in.)

2. What are the tactics that you are taught to counter a caught kick....at all points caught at the ankle...caught at the knee...caught at the thigh!

I started a thread on that topic not too long ago. http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27589

I've mainly learned strikes, pressure points, muscle pinches, eye attacks etc. Haven't taken a specifically targeted ground fighting seminar yet though.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
SAVAGE said:
I would like to say that I am asking this question with the utmost respect for all of you and TKD!
Come on, tell us what you really think. :)

Like Marginal said, it happens all the time. Learning to "duke it out" up close is only a problem for those that practice Olympic-style sparring and nothing else.

Personally, I'm prepared to use use my elbows, knees, a few different takedowns, trap limbs, or increase the distance, depending on the size of my opponent and what I feel like doing. Perhaps even biting if I'm in a real bind.

Any answer I would give has already been given in the thread Marginal posted a link to.

The strictly TKD answer to being taken to the ground (assuming your opponent is there with you) is to find way to continue striking, or attacking sensitive areas such as the eyes. I've learned some escapes and reversals from my exposure to other martial arts, and what I use would depend on what's used against me.

Naturally, the ideal answer is to avoid being taken to the ground in the first place. Something I've noticed in my cross-training is that people have more trouble trying to take me down than they do with anyone else. Even when I'm not consciously resisting. I credit my years of TKD training for my advanced sense of balance.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I prepare by learning from other M's and incorporating what I like into my TKD.
I don't like Olympic-style TKD AT ALL!!
I prefer to not even do it now cause IMHO it serves no purpose but to try and get u acclaim and trophies.

I prefer to use my hands and duke it out with a kick below the waiste here and there.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
I prefer to not even do it now cause IMHO it serves no purpose but to try and get u acclaim and trophies.
I would humbly disagree with that. Though it certainly is not the be-all, end-all of self defense, there's still much to be learned from it that is applicable and relevant to SD training. I'm sorry that's all you get from it.

Anyway, to answer.
1. TKD teaches many close quarter scenarios including multiple strikes and holds. Though I'm no stronger than before, I've increased my punching effectiveness considerably from before I studied TKD and wouldn't hesitate to be in close with pretty much anyone. Not to mention knee and elbow strikes. Every art has its "signature" strikes, seldom they are exclusive to other arts. These are no exception, and yes, we do practice them. Alot!

2. Having a kick caught isn't something likely to happen as I doubt I would throw a kick high in a SD situation. At least I never have to date. Of the methods I was taught, the one I found to be most effective was a forward thrust. (I learned it in sparring). Literally using my weight to drive my opponent backwards and/or off balance. Followed by (see #1.) For knee and thigh(?) close quarters apply.

3. Ground fighting was very different for me. Having been a wrestler, I always saw ground fighting as grappling. It was at one time, my most effective method of fighting. Learning to strike by hand or foot on the ground never even occured to me until I started training in it. It took a little (okay, alot) of getting used to, but proved to be quit effective. I still prefer to go with a hold, but holds often miss and learning a viable option was a definate plus.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I agree with Gemini. In TKD, we do learn close quarter fighting methods. We are taught elbows, knees, palm strikes, ect as well as boxing skills.

Also like Gemini, I wouldn't throw a kick in SD unless it's a low kick to the knee/thigh/nuts, ect.

This is where TKD lacks .... in my dojang anyways. But that's why I cross train in Jujitsu. Allthough, I'm just a white belt, our last class involved excapes, chokes, ect on the ground. We also covered how to "stop a fight from going to the ground." I wish I can explain some of them in text, but I have difficulty with that LOL.

OP
SAVAGE

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I ask thsi because I lerned WTF TKD..Olympic Style and just wanted to see the difference!

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear All,

As previously stated, we train knees and elbows both open and from the clinch. We also train headbutts, foot stomps, palm strikes, and of course hand strikes including knifehands, ridgehands, and my friends the fists!

I will get over to the other thread (havent visited in a while) and read up and make any input over there!

I have been instructed and instruct my students the following from day one. Attack the eyes, bite, and pinch, and attack the small joints to create a nervous diversion (pain) to slip out or to create a more advantageous situation to launch strike in an attempt to fight back to your feet. Also, we teach standard releases, joint locks, ground positioning. In addition to the training for ground combat, we also spend a gread deal of time learning to defend takedowns and grabs. Clinching, sprawling, stiff arm with side step, etc.

Great thread (both from the original starter as well as those who have contributed)!

TAEKWON!
Spookey

Latest Discussions