US Poomsae Champions Seminar Series

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Poomsae Seminar News

Download the Information and Application

December 2010

Dear Taekwondo Community,

Poomsae competition and participation is rapidly increasing world-wide since the World Taekwondo Federation implemented the World Poomsae Championships five years ago. This is an exciting new opportunity for all Taekwondo practitioners, because it creates another way to demonstrate their Taekwondo skills on an international stage.

The United States continues to move forward with poomsae development; however, currently there are few opportunities to become familiar with the standards as recognized by the WTF as well as improve the referee skills for those who wish to judge using the official standards.

Having the opportunity to represent our country at four World Poomsae Championships in various competition categories has shown me how much there is to learn about poomsae! Currently, there are some opportunities to learn standards for judging throughout the US through USA Taekwondo referee seminars. However, in our region these have been rare thus far.

Additionally, many of my friends and colleagues in our Taekwondo community have expressed an interest in this area and specifically requested opportunities to go through poomsae by the WTF standards. They wish to take this information both for themselves and their students, in order to develop poomsae competitors for those who show interest and potential.

Over the last couple of years, my teammates and I have conducted seminars focusing on poomsae performance, which have been very well received. We have also received feedback from you to take more time going through the poomsae in even greater detail in our presentations. Based on your feedback, we are planning a new series of seminars in 2011.

U.S. Poomsae Champions Seminar Series

Part 1: Saturday, January 29, 2011 Tae Geuk Poomsae 1 Ð 8 (2nd Geup and Higher)
Part 2: Saturday, March 12, 2011 Koryo, Keumgang, Tae Back, Pyongwon (Black Belts Only)
Part 3: Saturday, May 14, 2011 Sipjin, Jitae, Cheonkwon, Hansoo (Black Belts 19 +)

Seminar Location: Korea Taekwondo Academy - Indianapolis, IN

Time: 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Fees: $50 per seminar/$125 for all 3 seminars (strongly recommended)

No matter what your role in poomsae participation, you will benefit greatly from these seminars. In addition to presenting and practicing poomsae to standard, these seminars will focus on several important areas for both athletes and judges. Set a new goal for 2011 and participate in this exciting new arena as an athlete, referee, coach, and martial artist!

Please contact me at 317-841-8000 or email me at [email protected] for additional information regarding the US Poomsae Champions Seminar Series.

Best of success to you in 2011!

Master Garth A. Cooley
U.S. National Poomsae Champion
4X U.S. National Poomsae Team Member

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really wish someone would come down to Texas and put on aseminar like this. I believe it would be well recieved by so many.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master Southwick I would love youto come down and do a weekend seminar, I have sent you a p.m. Please lat me know how we can make this happen?

Sincerly
Your Friend
Terry

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really wish someone would come down to Texas and put on aseminar like this. I believe it would be well recieved by so many.

Master Akiko Reyes was just down there a couple months ago at the Progression camp. Weren't you there?

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master Akiko Reyes was just down there a couple months ago at the Progression camp. Weren't you there?

No sorry was out of town, that was held at Master Cha's center, which is NTA as you properly know. I like the way Master Southwick teaches poomsae and he has been to my school a few years ago. Why is it you try to act like I do not know anything? What is it about you that you are always all over evrything I do? Like I have said before puunui please find someone else to go after for a little while OK.

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No sorry was out of town, that was held at Master Cha's center, which is NTA as you properly know. I like the way Master Southwick teaches poomsae and he has been to my school a few years ago. Why is it you try to act like I do not know anything? What is it about you that you are always all over evrything I do? Like I have said before puunui please find someone else to go after for a little while OK.
LOL, I think you are getting a little paranoid, I do not see this as an attack, if you ever have a chance to study under Mrs Reyes you should. I mean she is one of only three that have actually won an individual medal at worlds.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Poomsae Seminar News

Download the Information and Application

December 2010

Dear Taekwondo Community,

Poomsae competition and participation is rapidly increasing world-wide since the World Taekwondo Federation implemented the World Poomsae Championships five years ago. This is an exciting new opportunity for all Taekwondo practitioners, because it creates another way to demonstrate their Taekwondo skills on an international stage.

The United States continues to move forward with poomsae development; however, currently there are few opportunities to become familiar with the standards as recognized by the WTF as well as improve the referee skills for those who wish to judge using the official standards.

Having the opportunity to represent our country at four World Poomsae Championships in various competition categories has shown me how much there is to learn about poomsae! Currently, there are some opportunities to learn standards for judging throughout the US through USA Taekwondo referee seminars. However, in our region these have been rare thus far.

Additionally, many of my friends and colleagues in our Taekwondo community have expressed an interest in this area and specifically requested opportunities to go through poomsae by the WTF standards. They wish to take this information both for themselves and their students, in order to develop poomsae competitors for those who show interest and potential.

Over the last couple of years, my teammates and I have conducted seminars focusing on poomsae performance, which have been very well received. We have also received feedback from you to take more time going through the poomsae in even greater detail in our presentations. Based on your feedback, we are planning a new series of seminars in 2011.

U.S. Poomsae Champions Seminar Series

Part 1: Saturday, January 29, 2011 Tae Geuk Poomsae 1 Ð 8 (2nd Geup and Higher)
Part 2: Saturday, March 12, 2011 Koryo, Keumgang, Tae Back, Pyongwon (Black Belts Only)
Part 3: Saturday, May 14, 2011 Sipjin, Jitae, Cheonkwon, Hansoo (Black Belts 19 +)

Seminar Location: Korea Taekwondo Academy - Indianapolis, IN

Time: 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Fees: $50 per seminar/$125 for all 3 seminars (strongly recommended)

No matter what your role in poomsae participation, you will benefit greatly from these seminars. In addition to presenting and practicing poomsae to standard, these seminars will focus on several important areas for both athletes and judges. Set a new goal for 2011 and participate in this exciting new arena as an athlete, referee, coach, and martial artist!

Please contact me at 317-841-8000 or email me at [email protected] for additional information regarding the US Poomsae Champions Seminar Series.

Best of success to you in 2011!

Master Garth A. Cooley
U.S. National Poomsae Champion
4X U.S. National Poomsae Team Member
I was debated on the last serie, but with your post, I might want to attend the next two. :) It would be fun to go back to Indy again. :)

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was graced with her presence on that weekend. She gave me private lesson and in-site on her strategy.

She also explains that at the World Poomsae, the judges looks for for presentation rather than the "technical" of the poomsae. The Dartfish video from the World validated her opinion. Referees in the US is so caught up with the "technical" of the poomsae that when the competitor goes to the World, we get spanked by not having high enough score on the presentation mark.

Master Stoker,
There are many opportunities in the Dallas area that a person can attend the Sport Poomsae seminar.
The next available one is at US Open and non-referees can attend for $100, so one of the IR stated.

Also, last year, NTA did host a Poomsae seminar on a Father's day weekend and some of the local referees attended. We covered up to Koryo in 3 hours.

I contacted one or two referees for a get together again to review the Poomsae before TX State and District qualifier coming up. This is a free event. He said he will pass it on to TX State head referee. I haven't heard any thing from this referee yet.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was graced with her presence on that weekend. She gave me private lesson and in-site on her strategy.

She also explains that at the World Poomsae, the judges looks for for presentation rather than the "technical" of the poomsae. The Dartfish video from the World validated her opinion. Referees in the US is so caught up with the "technical" of the poomsae that when the competitor goes to the World, we get spanked by not having high enough score on the presentation mark.

Master Stoker,
There are many opportunities in the Dallas area that a person can attend the Sport Poomsae seminar.
The next available one is at US Open and non-referees can attend for $100, so one of the IR stated.

Also, last year, NTA did host a Poomsae seminar on a Father's day weekend and some of the local referees attended. We covered up to Koryo in 3 hours.

I contacted one or two referees for a get together again to review the Poomsae before TX State and District qualifier coming up. This is a free event. He said he will pass it on to TX State head referee. I haven't heard any thing from this referee yet.

That would be Master Richard Sacks and he has not made it available yet as I know of.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL, I think you are getting a little paranoid, I do not see this as an attack, if you ever have a chance to study under Mrs Reyes you should. I mean she is one of only three that have actually won an individual medal at worlds.

Maybe you are right, I amtired andgrumpy over this new diet. My sleep has been bad the last couple of months so maybe just maybe I am reading to much into i:asian:t.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Would you like me to send Master sack something about the get together? Would you also include instructors as well?
icon14.gif

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Master Southwick is a awesome competitor and instructor. One of the highpoints for me at the 2009 FIC in Chicago was watching GM AHN, Jae Yoon and Master Southwick perform their poomsae. Very cool!

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score

Would you like me to send Master sack something about the get together? Would you also include instructors as well?
icon14.gif
I believed one of your instructor the VP of TX referee, Mr Aguon, is supposed to talk with Master Sack about it. I need to follow up with him.

Also, instructors are also encouraged to attend too. Now wait-a-minute..what is this change of heart about Sport Poomsae, huh Master Stoker??? As I recalled, we had a thread about this very topic and how much you wanted to be the way it is. :D

Also, when you and Master *cough* Southwick, decided have a seminar, I would love to attend. Master *cough, cough* Southwick and I are old friends. :D

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

Did you also attend the competition sparring part of the seminar? If so, what did you think about it? How could it be improved?

She said the same thing to me. She said that some in the US criticize her because they think she is not as technically accurate for their tastes. Her first instructor, GM William Kim in Vallejo, California has beautiful form work, and she said she picked up on his flair. Personally, I think she is technically accuracte. She should have won gold. The person who beat her stumbled twice.

I also asked her how she came to develop her style and she said that she watched the Kukkiwon DVD and studied that Explanation of Poomsae book that everyone has. She worked hard and figured it out on her own. I like that about her, shows confidence and initiative. She is definitely a "have", and will no doubt become a Kukkiwon 9th Dan, if I have anything to say about it. We need to empower our females. :)

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Did you also attend the competition sparring part of the seminar? If so, what did you think about it? How could it be improved?

She said the same thing to me. She said that some in the US criticize her because they think she is not as technically accurate for their tastes. Her first instructor, GM William Kim in Vallejo, California has beautiful form work, and she said she picked up on his flair. Personally, I think she is technically accuracte. She should have won gold. The person who beat her stumbled twice.

I also asked her how she came to develop her style and she said that she watched the Kukkiwon DVD and studied that Explanation of Poomsae book that everyone has. She worked hard and figured it out on her own. I like that about her, shows confidence and initiative. She is definitely a "have", and will no doubt become a Kukkiwon 9th Dan, if I have anything to say about it. We need to empower our females. :)
I was there. Since the Progression official team did not know how big the place were, so they schedule their program like the way it was. So when they set their foot into the place, they say "WOW" we had enough room to do multiple seminars. The adjacent room were sitting empty on Saturday and it could be utilized more. So then the participants would have such a long waiting period for their group to go.

Next year will be better now that the officials know the space and how they can effectively utilized it.

Overall, it was a good seminar. This is my 3rd Progression camp, AND the first one to have Sport Poomsae Seminar. Master Cha insistent about having one since he has a program in his school. 2 members of US Poomsae Team were at the camp for sparring, might as well utilized their other assets, right?

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believed one of your instructor the VP of TX referee, Mr Aguon, is supposed to talk with Master Sack about it. I need to follow up with him.

Also, instructors are also encouraged to attend too. Now wait-a-minute..what is this change of heart about Sport Poomsae, huh Master Stoker??? As I recalled, we had a thread about this very topic and how much you wanted to be the way it is. :D

Also, when you and Master *cough* Southwick, decided have a seminar, I would love to attend. Master *cough, cough* Southwick and I are old friends. :D

I still do not like sport pomsae but some of my athletes enjoy it, so if I can get better to help them get better than I am doing my job in promoting something positive. I do not need to fully like something to be a part of it, I do not like USAT but I still go to certain events. You can always attend and because it is you I will even pick up the dime or two for you.
icon10.gif

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I still do not like sport pomsae but some of my athletes enjoy it, so if I can get better to help them get better than I am doing my job in promoting something positive.

What's wrong with sport poomsae? I think that it is rejuvenating poomsae in the minds and hearts of many and also going a long way to standardizing it worldwide.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
What's wrong with sport poomsae? I think that it is rejuvenating poomsae in the minds and hearts of many and also going a long way to standardizing it worldwide.
Master Stoker is old school BUT we'll change him yet because his students wanted SPORT POOMSAE! :D

If a person seriously want to be competitive in performing poomsae correctly, then the training is riguous. Sport Poomsae is not about doing just the movements, but to perform it with grace, beauty, power, flexibiltiy, agility, balance, speed, rhythm, good tempo, and endurance. Next but not least, to do all that with the meaning behind each motion.

That means training with weight, do yoga, lots of drills, and then stretching..lots of stretching. So who say Sport Poomsae is for the wimp?