TKD sucks

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ouch. That had to hurt.

It's also a good reason why even senior colored belts shouldn't be pitted against Black Belts. Don't get me started. :shrug:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alot of people don't expect a tornado round kick w/ left stance using his right foot for striking. Normally everyone want to be in the right stance. He switched stances just before to set it up. TW

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cirdan said:
Having no guard will do that to you.:uhoh:

He even pulls his left hand back down past his waist again as he goes to use the right leg just before getting knocked down. It looked like he might have been trying to get it back up in time (or it just flew up as he flew backwards).

But you're right. He was totally unprepared, and seemed to get scared when he knew the kick was coming. He hops straight back, and unfortunately only his lower body is moving. The head actually drops forward into a better position to get KNOCKED RIGHT OFF.

Ooff.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
I would use this vid to show people why you shouldn't fight with your guard down; however, this doesn't prove anything about TKD.
Sean
X-actly.
This doesn't "prove" that TKD Doesn't "Suck"....
though I don't think it does...
it just shows that we MUST keep our hands up or else even things that are telegraphed may hit us.

Your Brother
John

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Brother John said:
X-actly.
This doesn't "prove" that TKD Doesn't "Suck"....
though I don't think it does...
it just shows that we MUST keep our hands up or else even things that are telegraphed may hit us.

Your Brother
John

I am gonna go with you and touch on this!

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Seeing that clip makes me change my mind on why one would even use a 360 roundhouse kick in competition. I guess on rare occassions they do actually work. Great kick though, and I thought that 360s were all for show, and less for effectiveness.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't see the narabon used much in competition unless there is a mismatch. But, it is a fun technique to practice in the dojang-especially in hogu or shield drills.

Miles

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Miles said:
I don't see the narabon used much in competition unless there is a mismatch. But, it is a fun technique to practice in the dojang-especially in hogu or shield drills.

Miles

Yep, they're cool to practice and watch, but I just don't see 360s being very effective in practical, real use. In sparring, from my experience, by the time the attacker finishes the full motion of a 360 roundhouse, I'm there set and ready to counter-attack. For most, it takes too long to complete the tornado kick in competition for it to be effective.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
cali_tkdbruin said:
Yep, they're cool to practice and watch, but I just don't see 360s being very effective in practical, real use. In sparring, from my experience, by the time the attacker finishes the full motion of a 360 roundhouse, I'm there set and ready to counter-attack. For most, it takes too long to complete the tornado kick in competition for it to be effective.

I agree. We had this discussion on another thread, but at some point if you're lifting both feet off the ground and turning your back on your opponent, you're going to get what you deserve. He got away with it this time, but that may prove to be more counter productive in the future than productive. Personally in this instance, I think he knew his opponent was seriously overmatched and just went with it. I could be wrong.

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Cirdan said:
Having no guard will do that to you.:uhoh:

Couldn't agree more. Don't think it proves or disproves the ability of TKD just that hey no guard means hammering to the head.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lady and Gentle man all this does is prove to things about Sport TKD.

1st everybody with any sense would not leave there hands down. DUMB and DUMBER knows better.

2nd thing is one most never turn there back in a real life stituation.

These types of kick will work in Olympic sparring because they have taken away the hands from scoring, in point or continuing sparring if you tried that you would be knocked in the head with a ridgehand, uppercut overhand or even a straight hook.

The kick is what it is suppose to be a sport kick and it looked great, but it holds no merit what real TKD can do and everybody knows I stick up for my Art all the time.
Terry

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
I would use this vid to show people why you shouldn't fight with your guard down; however, this doesn't prove anything about TKD.
Sean

LOL!!!
Very true

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gemini said:
if you're lifting both feet off the ground and turning your back on your opponent, you're going to get what you deserve.

Oh yeah! I learned this the hard way by getting blasted so friggin hard once when I was trying to be flashy when I was sparring. It only took one time for me to learn my lesson. That lesson is always keep your opponent in your sights and don't turn your back on him.

I think that with the exception of a jumping back kick, which is a defensive counter, most other jumping kicks are risky in competition.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Lady and Gentle man all this does is prove to things about Sport TKD.

1st everybody with any sense would not leave there hands down. DUMB and DUMBER knows better.

2nd thing is one most never turn there back in a real life stituation.

These types of kick will work in Olympic sparring because they have taken away the hands from scoring, in point or continuing sparring if you tried that you would be knocked in the head with a ridgehand, uppercut overhand or even a straight hook.

The kick is what it is suppose to be a sport kick and it looked great, but it holds no merit what real TKD can do and everybody knows I stick up for my Art all the time.
Terry

That is one of the things I really respect about you.

So true! Real TKD is a formidable martial art. Unfortunately people take the sport and/or McDojang as the real thing.