TKD Dobaks

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
:)

OK, this is just a fun thread. Which type of dobok do you prefer and what brand? How many patches do you wear if any?

I have two uniform types I wear.

When I study karate, I wear the old white crossover karate style uniform. I recently broke down and bought some heavyweight Canvas 10 Shureidos and they are nice....but I'm not sure dollar for dollar they quite justify the pretty price. I'm also wearing Tokon. I have a single patch on the left breast of my top, stating the ryu-ha I belong to.

When I am teaching TKD, I wear a plain heavy crossover gi with no patches. White or black, it just depends on the day. Brand varies, too. I currently use Kwon, Wacoku, KI, Budokan.

I'm afraid I have a bit of a fetish for nicely pressed karate uniforms, which probably explains why I own so many. :ultracool

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wear an ADIDAS Black color V-neck dobok, is the most comfitable dobok there is.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wear an ADIDAS Black color V-neck dobok, is the most comfitable dobok there is.

ok, I hope this doesn't pull the thread off topic (just saying that usually means it will though).... does anyone know where to get ahold of the old style of Adidas doboks (with the old adidas logo). I would LOVE to have one!

I have a reebok dobok that I got in korea that is my favorite right now, only because no one else has it
icon7.gif

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My favorite dobok is an Adidas GM with no stripes & I don't wear any patches on it. It's my "every day" dobok.

My dress dobok is a Tekno "plain" dobok & has lots of patches, my name, & lots of striping on it. When I'm at another school or in my instructor's presence, I wear that with a BB with rank stripes.

When I'm at my school, I usually wear my adidas w/ a black belt with simple embroidery (style on one side, name on the other: both in Korean) with no rank stripes.

OP
S

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I know I'm in the TKD forum, but I'm fond of a longer jacket with the crossover karate gi. My sensei always jokes that I should be studying Shotokan since that's more what they wear. He wears the high water pants and sleeves so popular with Okinawan stylists.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I just recently switched to the Rhingo brand dobok. It takes almost no time to break in, wicks sweat away immediatley, and is very reasonably priced. There service is great too as I get my orders in just 1 day.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I like the plain white ribbed Adidas dobok that they discontinued awhile back. It was so comfortable for me, just like regular cotton pjs, and it absorbed sweat after a hard training session so well too. I wish they still manufactured it. I haven't found anything that comes close to it. BTW, Ken's Golden Tiger sells a ribbed dobok that's similar, but it's still not the same.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I wish I could wear a cross over style gi instead of the dobak. I was much more comfortable in my (heavy) Judo gi than I am in a dobak.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
We still wear that style :)
Though I have to be careful when ordering especially like Tokaido, short pants on those;p
I'm not sure if ITF schools still use the old style dobok or the newer v-neck. The ATA, ITA, HTF and a few others still use the old-fashioned karate style though.
I like a 14oz canvas heavyweight. Century ones weren't bad, I liked the pants better than the drawstring kind. The ones I get now from WMA are ATA branded, made in Korea, no idea on the actual manufacturer off hand though.

Patches etc, just what HQ dictates. My judging stripes, school patch, leadership patches on shoulders, ATA patch, instructor stripe. A few more than the old days, but most of them make sense heh.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a Shureido Tournament Gi with the shorter arms and legs, but still wide enough to cover my big waist :D It's like a size 5 waist with size 3 legs, sort of. I wear that in the winter with my club's patch on the front, and it is by far my favorite. If it's freezing (we paractice in a barn) then I'll wear a Tshirt under the gi that's the same color as my belt. In the summer (right now, still) we just wear club t-shirts and forego the gi/dobok tops altogether. For tests, I have a very lightweight V neck dobok that I think is Century, with the club patch, and a Korean flag patch on one arm and a US flag on the other. Lots of patches for tests :D I love the Shureido gi, that's all I really wear. I wear the dobak for tests because the black belts all wear doboks for testing days (no matter what they wear on other days), otherwise it would just be the Shureido. When I get my black belt I'll get an Adidas gi, or a Reebok one like Laren mentioned, if I can find one ;) (but again, just for testing)
jim

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We came from the ITF, and they always wore cross-over jackets AFAIK - and we still do. There are ITF affiliates and other former ITF classes around, and I've never seen them wear anything but cross-over jackets... but it's been a while; things could have changed. I've never worn a pull-over dobok top.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wondered about that Karen, figured it was just the WTF line that did the v-necks. I wonder about the original kwans though, though I suppose most of them went KKW with the WTF (CDK etc, though MDK used to be traditional cross-over last I'd seen).

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what I understand, the KKW decision the go with the v-neck was an a move to say, "we are distinctively a Korean art." No longer tied to the Japanese.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what I understand, the KKW decision the go with the v-neck was an a move to say, "we are distinctively a Korean art." No longer tied to the Japanese.

This is right it was a way to seperate the old to the new.

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I wear about three different kinds depending on the day..all are crossovers...#1 white with midnight blue/black trim (lapel, cuffs, vents), with a school patch, and association patch, #2 and #3 are the same as one but no trim and the colors are white or black...sometimes white over black.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a bunch of dobaks. For class, I usually wear a Pinetree or Adidas black v-neck ribbed dobak. For formal occasions, such as a test, I wear a KSD or KKW Mountain dobak. I don't have any dobak with the stripes on the arms/legs. On several of my dobaks, I have a CDK patch, but we have no school patch. Pretty plain, just like our black belts.

Miles

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a bunch of dobaks. For class, I usually wear a Pinetree or Adidas black v-neck ribbed dobak. For formal occasions, such as a test, I wear a KSD or KKW Mountain dobak. I don't have any dobak with the stripes on the arms/legs. On several of my dobaks, I have a CDK patch, but we have no school patch. Pretty plain, just like our black belts.

Miles

I picked up a KKW Mountain dobak last summer and now wish I would have gotten a second. Can you get these state-side?

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We still wear that style :)
Though I have to be careful when ordering especially like Tokaido, short pants on those;p

The biggest problem I see in our dojang is people (or their parents) who won't properly hem their damn pants. They just make cuffs out of the legs that inevitably fall down while they train. One kid couldn't even kick above knee height because his pants were too long.

Coming from Judo, I had my pants hemmed pretty high so I guess I look like a geek to others but at least they don't get in the way.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The biggest problem I see in our dojang is people (or their parents) who won't properly hem their damn pants. They just make cuffs out of the legs that inevitably fall down while they train. One kid couldn't even kick above knee height because his pants were too long.

Coming from Judo, I had my pants hemmed pretty high so I guess I look like a geek to others but at least they don't get in the way.

You mean... your dobok is not a fashion statement?!?!?! :lol: Actually, I've met some people who think that it is... nonetheless, mine are generally above my ankles, at least, because the first time I caught my heel in my pants while kicking decided the issue for me. Also, I generally won't let students roll up their pants in my class (after the first time, when I realize their pants are too long, and tell them to hem them), because it is, just as you said, a safety issue when the rolled-up cuffs come down... and they always come down. For kids, I recommend to their parents that they don't cut the bottoms off, so the hem can be let out as the child grows; for adults, I usually recommend they cut it off, for ease of care. I'm not too worried about how well they're hemmed, as long as they're not ragged and there was some attempt to make them look neat; I understand that some people don't know how to sew or know anyone who does - just that they don't trip on their pants, or catch their feet in them, or otherwise injure themselves because their pants are too long.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I picked up a KKW Mountain dobak last summer and now wish I would have gotten a second. Can you get these state-side?

Not to my knowledge. Did you get yours at the Mooto store down the street from Kukkiwon?

Miles

Latest Discussions