TKD Dobak Comfortable But...

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Used a Rhingo dobak last night when I was visiting a friend of mine during his class time. I didn't have my gear with me, so he offered me a student grade dobak, one of the ones with a v-neck.

I like the comfort of the pullover top, but why don't they come in a heavier grade of fabric? I understand even the instructor grade uniforms are made of light fabric as well. Eventually I got so soggy during the workout that I was dripping sweat from my leg and arm cuffs. Yuck.

Am I missing something? I usually use a heavyweight karate gi or even a judo uniform, so I'm used to something sturdy to soak up my perspiration.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd guess it's because there's not as much heavy "uniform" grabbing than what you find in something like judo. Less need for a heavier uniform.

that's just a guess though.

Peace,
Erik

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The V-Neck dobaks that we use are ribbed, for who's pleasure I have no clue, but it is supposed act like a moisture wick, pulling the sweat away from the body. Does it work well? IMHO, no, and that is why I got a 14 oz Tokaido. I only use my V-Neck for school functions, like testing and things like that. I prefer the Tokaido for the same reasons you use a judogi. That and it stands up to any throws and chokes that we employ using the dobak.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The V-Neck dobaks that we use are ribbed, for who's pleasure I have no clue, but it is supposed act like a moisture wick, pulling the sweat away from the body.

LOL! Nice line.

This Rhingo dobak was woven with a pattern in it, I suppose for moisture wicking. Doesn't work though when you are having a high intensity session. I guess these v-necks aren't really functional at all. They're very comfortable to start with though. Maybe you're supposed to wear a t-shirt underneath to help soak up the sweat?

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd guess it's because there's not as much heavy "uniform" grabbing than what you find in something like judo. Less need for a heavier uniform.

that's just a guess though.

Peace,
Erik

That's probably part of it. I bet these dobaks are really good for sparring, though. Not so good for long workouts or grappling/self-defense work or patterns competition.

When I used to compete in forms at open tournaments, before those v-necks became popular, people generally favored a heavy uniform since you could easily make popping noises when running a kata. It would be a lot tougher to do it with this scrawny, wee thing. :)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sangmoosa (a Korean brand) used to sell a heavy canvas v-neck dobok. Sadly, they don't any longer. That, for me, would have been the best of both worlds.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well...the V neck Dobok is comfortable but really don't like it, I would rather prefer the karate-gi uniform because for me it's more traditional, I use by regulation an Extera Mooto Dobok, I sweat pretty good and my city is a very warm one where it's easier to reach 35-38 celcius and with a 70-75% of humidity so you can see I sweat pretty well. The thing I do is to use a light cotton tshirt below the dobok so perspiration stays in the tshirt and the Xterera Mooto is advertised to let the body perspiration away and stay dry on class, however I use the tshirt always.

Manny

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
What the heck is muscle mapping ?

Well, muscle mapping isn't the right term, but the benefits of compression wear have been tested for atheletes. Reduced fatigue, better performance under fatigue, reduced soreness, and better joint control.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes I wear a Judo uniform just because they are heavier than our dobaaks, at anyrate we have to wear what we have.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I earned my first dan, I was furnished with a Dynamics professional ribbed dobok in black. I also have one in white with the black collar. It is pretty comfortable and a vast improvement over any of the student doboks in terms of comfort and moisture wicking.
http://www.dynamicsworld.com/goods_detail.php?gid=810&cid=350

I also occasionally use a Dynamics White Tiger dobok, which is essentally the same as the professional, but with fancy 'taekwondo' embroidery on the sleeves and a white tiger to the right of the collar. Kind of makes me want to shout out, 'Power Rangers, power up! White Tiger! Hyawww!'
http://www.dynamicsworld.com/goods_detail.php?gid=807&cid=350

My dobok of choice, however is a non-striped Addidas grandmaster dobok. Better in terms of moisture wicking and probably better in durability than the Dynamics, though to be fair, its more than twice the price.
http://www.karatedepot.com/un-ta-12.html

I also use a Dynamics diamond pattern dobok, both for Hapkido and occasionally for Taekwondo. It looks traditional and is better than the vee-neck student dobok in terms of comfort and moisture wicking, though not as good as any of the aforementioned doboks. Also, it is fairly thin for any grappling.

My son's Tigerclaw Hayashi dogi is definitely superior for any grappling/throwing arts and according to him, moisture wicking.
http://tigerclaw.com/bleached-hayashi-single-weave-judo-uniform-c-306-p-1-pr-8084.html

Daniel

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear UnderArmour under my v-neck and my tokaido. I use it for the Muscle mapping though. Moisture wicking is an added benefit.

I was wondering about the Under Armour stuff as it's just been introduced over here, the blurb says it takes some of the pressure off when being thrown etc? would you recommend it then? My old bones need some comfort!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was wondering about the Under Armour stuff as it's just been introduced over here, the blurb says it takes some of the pressure off when being thrown etc? would you recommend it then? My old bones need some comfort!

Under Armor is great. You will enjoy wearing them.
icon14.gif

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I don't know about taking the pressure off of being thrown, but it "feels" like I can work out longer, particularly with Randori and Newaza. I use it when I am out airsofting as well, so I would recommend it whole heartedly!! It's expensive, probably going to be over 30 GBP for a basic t-shirt, but again, well worth it.

Aefibird

Green Belt
Reaction score
At my old WTF TKD school we wore V-neck uniforms for Dan and Kup grades alike for every aspect of training, but at my new club we wear v-neck for general TKD training and then dobok trousers and a t-shirt for any grappling/street training sessions. The Dan grades tend to wear wrapover heavyweight uniforms anyway, rather than a "traditional" TKD top (well, we're not really a "traditional" TKD school).

I always wear UnderArmor under my dobok top, helps with getting rid of the sweat and I find it very comfortable. Plus, if I didn't wear anything under my uniform then the rest of the class would be getting a good view of my bra...lol :-D

Having trained in both Karate and TKD I like the ease of wear of the V-neck tops, but prefer the heavy weight of a traditional karate gi. My karate gis are the thicker the better.

I wish someone would make a plain, white heavyweight v-neck uniform. I can find heavyweight v-neck uniforms on sale in black and blue, but not white... :-/

Latest Discussions