A Whimsical Question, Warning: Mildly Offensive

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like a good friend of mine said...

" I have the body of a god....it just happens to be Buddha".

or his other famous quip...

"I AM in shape, round is a shape"

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Professionalism, good example and ... oh, and a little less judgement from his friends. ;)

I'm assuming that was aimed at me as the thread starter. Like I said, he is a close friend of mine. Friendship is what allows me to be truthful and hopefully helpful when I told him he could stand to lose some weight. A casual acquaintance would have received a response more 'polite' and yet ultimately meaningless.

I'm a fan of honesty and straight talk. I see no reason to disemble when a friend asks me for my honest opinion.

Perhaps I will gift my friend with a black Juka I have lying around the house. It might fit him some length alterations.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a friend that teaches taekwondo. He's a bit chubby (well, OK, more than a bit, but he can kick like a mule)... Anyway, we've known each other so long that we have a quirky friendship where we'll talk about all kinds of oddball things we wouldn't to others.

"So, do you think I look fat in my uniform?" (He wears the v-neck type uniform.)

"Sorry, I'm married already, dude, and that's the kind of question only wives are entitled to ask."

"No, seriously, man. What do you think? I need to look professional for my school."

"Well, you could lose a few pounds..."

"No, I meant my uniform. Do you think I would look skinnier in one of your uniforms?"

"No." I use a judo gi or a crossover karate gi.

He won't let it drop and he's ordering a few uniforms of various brands to try out the different style. Anyone disagree that the uniform won't make a difference at all in terms of looks? They say black is slimming so maybe I'll suggest he try some black uniforms now that I think of it...
If professionality and appearance are the only issues, iron the thing and keep it clean.

Personally, I feel that the only real issue with the Vee-necks is that they are vented on the side, so as one moves around, if the vents open (and they inevitably do), they will tend to make the wearer look less shapely.

The elastic cord is supposed to prevent this, but a lot of people find them annoying.

I am assuming that he is a Taekwondoin, so my recomendation is one of those diamond pattern crossovers that are popular in hapkido but came from the Jidokwan if I remember correctly.

I find this style of top to be more comfortable and functional than the vee-neck. It also is distinctly Korean and looks really cool regardless of your physique.

Some ladies in class have preferred the vee because it does not come open at the top the way that a cross over can, but unless this guy is not telling you something, that should not be a factor.

Daniel

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am assuming that he is a Taekwondoin, so my recomendation is one of those diamond pattern crossovers that are popular in hapkido but came from the Jidokwan if I remember correctly.

I didn't know this gi style came from Jidokwan??? Very cool as I always like this top and my roots are Jidokwan.
icon7.gif

Latest Discussions