Good Value Gi (Uniform)

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I asked a question about which brand of gi to buy in an earlier thread, http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14474&highlight=karate+uniform,
and I wanted to come back a few months later and offer my input.

I am a heavyset build person. 5'10'' and I currently weigh 215 lbs (down a bit after a few months of Goju and tennis). A size 6 uniform will generally fit my girth correctly, but it's a little long, and I have to have alterations made to make the length right, but even then, the gi won't always fit EXACTLY right.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the right brand and MODEL does indeed MAKE a HUGE difference. I was using the polyblend 8 oz Pro Force in a size 6. After getting some feedback here and doing some other research, I purchased a size 5.5 Pro Force Ultra 14 oz, a size 6 Wacoku 14 oz, and a size 5 Kwon 14 oz.

All of these would be considered 'value' brands. They're available for around $60-$70, and they are made of 100% brushed cotton, which while comfortable out of the bag, are generally not as durable as canvas. (Or so I am told, I have not worn any of them enough times to wear them out.)

The Pro Force is a little snug, but I am not uncomfortable wearing it, and I can kick just fine in it which is important. The Wacoku is awesome. It was a little large out of the bag, so I washed it in hot water and then dried it on high in the dryer. After the shrinkage both length and width are just right for my frame. I look like a champ wearing it even though my kata may not. :) And finally, the Kwon isn't too shabby, either. Kwon is cut large, so the size 5 is the correct one for me.

I think the attention to detail and workmanship is best on the Kwon, followed by the Wacoku and then the Pro Force. The Wacoku just fits me best, however, and for the price, I can't complain, especially since I did not need any alterations made. Maybe someday I'll try one of the premium brands like Shureido or Tokaido, but for the money, all three are worth a try.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually i tend to avois the High end brands. Instead buying 2 Kwons, which last for ever and are a fav...

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have heard that shuriedo makes a good gi. A little expensive but supposed to be worth it.

OP
S

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
chinto01 said:
I have heard that shuriedo makes a good gi. A little expensive but supposed to be worth it.
I hear the same, but a first class Shureido will cost over $200 right now, and perhaps prices will rise even more considering the current value of the US currency. I think snob appeal has something to do with it... The utility of a Shureido cannot be 3x that of another heavyweight gi - at least in my book.

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Mostly Century are fine for me, my brother bought me a high end one when I was visiting and I use it for a 'dress' uniform at testings and such, but the basics are good for me.

Latest Discussions