Timing

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The word "timing" is apparently subject to individual interpretation.

What is "timing?"

What does it mean to you?

How does it affect your training?

Do you spend any time pondering/training the concept of "timing" as you know it?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Theban_Legion said:

Theban_Legion said:
What is "timing?"

Timing is knowing when to move or execute a technique, not being fast or quicker.

Theban_Legion said:

Timing means everything to me. ;) :D ** See above **

Theban_Legion said:

Knowing just techinques is ok if you are just a collector of techniques. Timing comes in on knowing when to execute a techinque, or applying a technique.

Theban_Legion said:
Do you spend any time pondering/training the concept of "timing" as you know it?

Yes, I do, and I practice timings such as "On Time", "Early", "Late", and "Abort".

OP
KenpoEMT

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This was actually supposed to include a poll! I exceeded the character limitations :lol:

Oh well, I think this may open up an excellent discussion anyway.

Doesn't the word "timing" originally come from the word "Tempo"? If that is the case, shouldn't timing refer more to the cadence of a given set of strikes?

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Theban_Legion said:

This was actually supposed to include a poll! I exceeded the character limitations :lol:

You could always create a poll later. Supporting members can create polls.

Theban_Legion said:
Oh well, I think this may open up an excellent discussion anyway.

I agree :)

Theban_Legion said:
Doesn't the word "timing" originally come from the word "Tempo"? If that is the case, shouldn't timing refer more to the cadence of a given set of strikes?

I see your point, and it is good in drills. Yet, why would you continue to strike or block an area where there is nothing to strike or nothign to block if the other person is not doing to drill?

OP
KenpoEMT

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Theban_Legion said:
Timing is knowing when to move or execute a technique, not being fast or quicker.

Timing comes in on knowing when to execute a techinque, or applying a technique.
So, for you, timing refers when to execute a given collection of movements and not to the individual moves contained within? Or do I have that backwards? :) I see you're an FMA practitioner. I don't know whether or not your definition of the word "technique" differs from mine.

OP
KenpoEMT

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Yet, why would you continue to strike or block an area where there is nothing to strike or nothign to block if the other person is not doing to drill?
Hmm...well, I'm not to sure. Perhaps the point of a drill is nothing more than to get all of your movements into a similar tempo. Then it's not the drill, but it is the technique. And any technique can be grafted on the fly by a skilled practitioner (i.e. someone else, not me :lol: ).

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Theban_Legion said:
So, for you, timing refers when to execute a given collection of movements and not to the individual moves contained within? Or do I have that backwards? :) I see you're an FMA practitioner. I don't know whether or not your definition of the word "technique" differs from mine.

Technique: And series of movements that either block/attack/counter the opponent. They are usually taught in the single approach. Meaning you learn to block, then you learn to strike. Or the other way around, and you execute a series or movements/techniques for your desired result.

Opponent A swings a forehand, Opponent B Blocks incoming forehand attack and swings a back hand to the ribs.

Since this depends upon the movement of the opponent I have a hard time myself calling it all one technique. I can understand the usage of stringing a series of technqiues together, and even calling that a technique in itself, but this larger technique sequence is made up of smaller techniques.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Theban_Legion said:
Hmm...well, I'm not to sure. Perhaps the point of a drill is nothing more than to get all of your movements into a similar tempo. Then it's not the drill, but it is the technique. And any technique can be grafted on the fly by a skilled practitioner (i.e. someone else, not me :lol: ).

Moving slowly in a drill allows for learning, and once you learn it, you can move faster, but since you are in a prearranged series of techniques, it is hard to say it is timing. As even if you are ahead of the opponent you wait for their strike before you proceed. For if you move on without waiting, then you will have nothing there when the strike comes in. Unless your counter handles that with movement, pinning, slipping, etcetera.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Theban_Legion said:

Knowing just techinques is ok if you are just a collector of techniques. Timing comes in on knowing when to execute a techinque, or applying a technique.

Yes, I do, and I practice timings such as "On Time", "Early", "Late", and "Abort".
While timing involves knowing when, it also involves your abilities. You increase your timing by increasing your ability to function and acheive actions when the time is right. This would also include your ability to deal with pain, stress, ect. You are right though, timing is everything.
Sean

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
I see timing as getting my kick in at the exact time my opponent is vunerable. It's very hard to do this, hence I'm not an expert at it. My backfist is pretty good at timing though.

Becky

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Theban_Legion said:

What he said. :D

Actually, I practiced timing on my kicks last night by swinging the bag back and forth, front and back, or in a circular motion, and trying to kick it at just the right time. Depending on the kick and the direction of the bag, it wasn't easy. Timing is very important IMO, even in drills, each person has to have their timing down to perform the drill smoothly, without choppiness.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Theban_Legion said:

What is "timing?"

Being able to set your opponent up and apply a move before they have time to react.

Timing is an important asset to have. It should be worked on as often as possible.

I try to work on my timing every time I train. This is a skill that does not happen overnight, therefore I always keep that goal in mind during training sessions.

Yes.

Mike

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I see your point, and it is good in drills. Yet, why would you continue to strike or block an area where there is nothing to strike or nothign to block if the other person is not doing to drill?
Very interesting discussion guys!

I see what you're getting at Rich, but also... in training you can train at different Tempo totally independant from anything else, but when engaged with another person you sort of lead by your tempo....but it IS in relation to theirs. Take for instance the Stick work of the FMA's. You may train a drill in the air in one way with one tempo or another, but then when you're training that drill with your partner you either match or just barely edge out their tempo...so that IF they lag or IF one of your hits to their arm or stick proved especially disruptive....then you can continue your own tempo by altering one of the strokes to be at a different target instead of the stick or arm... mayber further in like the torso, neck or head..... THEN you re-match their tempo back in the pace of the drill. In this way that one stroke would be more of an insert or what a drummer would call a "Fill".
Just something to think about.......

Your Brother
John

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To me

timing = knowing when to move

rythm = The tempo of movement between attacker(s) and me

The disruption of the rythm can be advantageous as long as it is done with purpose and intent, not by accident. LOL

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some great points! Timing to me means several different things. Number one is timing a block, strike, kick, etc., so that all components come together at the right time, i.e., strike and stance hit together to maximize effect. The body is in the right position and the leg is properly chambered before executing a kick. If you hit a stance a split second before a strike, or vice versa, you can lose power and speed.

Timing also means blocking or striking when the opponent is in the right position. In the beginning, most techniques go 1, 2, 3, 4, with no syncopation in the timing to go with the attacker's movement or response to something you've done. If you have a strike following a block or another strike, timing has to allow the attacker's body to react to what you've already done. If you strike to the head or body to move the attacker back so you can follow up with a kick, the attacker's body has to have time to move that distance before you execute the kick. Too soon or too late and the attacker is out of position.

Great thread!

tempus

Green Belt
Reaction score
In Aikido I would use the word timing as when to execute the technique at the point I feel the attacker is off balance enough for it to work. Also, If my blend is not not timed with the attackers speed I will be totally off with my technique, and with such will probably end up striking to get everything back in harmony.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
However being quicker or faster may tell me you are conditioned, fit, and practiced. Hence quicker, faster and right on... time. Cleaning up wasted motion such as winging elbows could also be percieved as trying to be faster. This "trying" would also put you closer to the mark and increase your timing.
Sean

Latest Discussions