Thrusting Salute

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I end up in the wrong place because I am just learning this stuff and I am shuffling my feet instead of firmly stepping into the correct bows. Give me a couple more weeks of practice and I will land it better and I will look back at this post wonder how in the world I can't land right. Same problem with Attacking Mace.

No problem. :) Keep up the hard work and try not to get too frustrated. We were all there at one time. It'll be second nature before you know it!!:ultracool Feel free to ask any questions you have! :)

Mike

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I end up in the wrong place because I am just learning this stuff and I am shuffling my feet instead of firmly stepping into the correct bows. Give me a couple more weeks of practice and I will land it better and I will look back at this post wonder how in the world I can't land right. Same problem with Attacking Mace.

Try doing your techniques slow for a while, take your time to feel the movement.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Anyone try to do this technique with a padded up defender, for a touch of realism? If so, did anyone have trouble landing a heel palm strike? A kick to the groin causes an attacker to bend forward, and move back, slightly. Does anyone hit the top of the head, because their bend is too fast? A slight distance problem created? Or, do you use your left to brace them up, in order to land the right palm to the face/jaw?

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone try to do this technique with a padded up defender, for a touch of realism? If so, did anyone have trouble landing a heel palm strike? A kick to the groin causes an attacker to bend forward, and move back, slightly. Does anyone hit the top of the head, because their bend is too fast? A slight distance problem created? Or, do you use your left to brace them up, in order to land the right palm to the face/jaw?

I havent worked this padded, but I think this is a good point. I think its important to look at the 'what if' in all of the techniques. If the opponent moves back far enough where we can't reach with the hands, a follow up kick with our other leg is a possible option. As for the palm strike...depending on how far they bend, we could to a rising elbow or if they're bent further, check the head with the left and do a downward elbow with the right.

Mike

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A neat variation is to launch way back and round house kick his kicking foot and watch him spin like a top.... Fun for the whole family.

Bode

Green Belt
Reaction score

The realistic reactions of the attacker should be present in every single technique regardless of wearing pads or not. As much as it is our responsibility to understand the defense, we should understand the attackers actions and reactions.

The action of the attacker bending forward and moving slightly back, with the chin up, creates the perfect target for the heal palm. (Nerve clusters on either side of the forehead, just don't mess up and try to punch him there).

I think I see where you were going. That the attackers chin would be down and your target obscured for the heal palm. Not likely, the attackers chin remains up, try it for yourself. I've been padded up and kicked. Your hips move back, along with a shuffle of your feet, and your head stay UP.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
5. Cross out towards 4:30.

As with other techniques, I discourage covering out to any particular direction. Thing is, if you practice to one direction every time....well, Murphy will see to it that when you use it, there's gonna something ugly in that direction.

I have my students vary their covers.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I havent worked this padded, but I think this is a good point. I think its important to look at the 'what if' in all of the techniques. If the opponent moves back far enough where we can't reach with the hands, a follow up kick with our other leg is a possible option. As for the palm strike...depending on how far they bend, we could to a rising elbow or if they're bent further, check the head with the left and do a downward elbow with the right.

Mike

Good stuff! I was just wondering about using the technique as is taught.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The realistic reactions of the attacker should be present in every single technique regardless of wearing pads or not. As much as it is our responsibility to understand the defense, we should understand the attackers actions and reactions.

The action of the attacker bending forward and moving slightly back, with the chin up, creates the perfect target for the heal palm. (Nerve clusters on either side of the forehead, just don't mess up and try to punch him there).

I think I see where you were going. That the attackers chin would be down and your target obscured for the heal palm. Not likely, the attackers chin remains up, try it for yourself. I've been padded up and kicked. Your hips move back, along with a shuffle of your feet, and your head stay UP.

I agree with all that you said. It was just under the circumstances that I saw the technique used as was taught, there was problems due to how they respond. The kick caused more distance, and there was a bend (from the blow, or from an instinctive, defensive movement on their part. It was that bending/angling away, that determined a succesful heel palm, to being...jammed up (?)

OneKickWonder

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have been taught completely different than most replies.

The biggest difference is instead of stepping back to 430 or 5 I pushdrag forward to the 130 or 2 simultaneously executing the left downward block. It is almost a mirror to Deflecting Hammer at first. This allows you to redirect motion and be close enough to deliver that devastating kick to the groin. A variation to that is when you pushdrag try to stop in a cat stance to allow for a faster kick.

Latest Discussions