thinking about MMA

ozm8ey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello I currently do Karate but am thinking about doing MMA as well. Just one thing I'm worried about is, when i watch MMA on tv it looks like boxing and wrestling with no martial arts

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No material arts? I'm assuming you meant martial. I'm kind of confused why you would say boxing and wrestling are not martial arts. What styles are used in MMA depends on the fighter. Boxing or more commonly Thai boxing are very popular for the stand up and clinch game. BJJ or catch wrestling is very popular for the ground game. You'll find plenty of examples of guys with karate or TKD backgrounds using some of it for their stand up.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello I currently do Karate but am thinking about doing MMA as well. Just one thing I'm worried about is, when i watch MMA on tv it looks like boxing and wrestling with no martial arts

Boxing and wrestling are most definitely martial arts, ones with a very long history.

You should also remember that what you see on tv is entertainment. The fights are real, but the "image" that professional sports gives is not really accurate to what actually occurs in a gym. Once you get into adding entertainment, as is necessary for pro sports, you get a very different presentation. The trash talking, shoving at weigh ins, and all the other pieces sell tickets, but do not represent what goes on inside mama schools.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MMA is everything that works (and is legal) within the given conditions and rules. And it is mostly a combat sport. So naturally, it looks like some sort of combat sport...

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I assume the OP means he does not see what he would consider to be recognizable traditional martial arts. The truth is that they can be seen in MMA if you know what you are looking for, but many elements from certain martial arts are not applicable to combat sports due to the very nature of the event being a sport. For example you don't see aikido, because aikido trains against highly aggressive and committed attackers, not fighters who are cautious about potentially being injured in the confrontation. Most martial arts that have adapted sport variations can be found in MMA.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just FYI OP, "real fighting" doesn't look like Donnie Yen in the Ip Man movie series. Skilled fighters regardless of style look a lot closer to MMA fighters than those old kung fu movies.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If op does mma rather than watches it he will get a better grasp on whether or not it is martial arty enough for him.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mma is martial arts. Hence the name mixed martial arts. Now Im not being disrespectful since karate is my main style too but fact is fighting isn't as clean cut as one guy throwsa telegraphed punch and the other guy does the perfect defence. It can happen of course but 9 out of 10 time even if you are very skilled in any art you're still going to probably end up in a brawl and end up taking a few punches. Of course martial arts are a great advantage over an average guy but they don't turn you into a jackie chan type character (who in my opinion is one of the worst actual martial artist action star. His films are fun but his actual skill is pretty poor lets be honest minus a couple films. Goregous is probably his best movie showing real skill)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For example you don't see aikido, because aikido trains against highly aggressive and committed attackers, not fighters who are cautious about potentially being injured in the confrontation.

Wait... what?

You're suggesting Aikido trains more aggressively then MMA?

A style based in pacifist philosophy and trained with minimal resistance from uke and where the main attacks is the run across the mat and bop them on the head or grab the wrist?

Aikido is a fine art, but like all arts it's practitioners need to be honest with themselves about what they are doing and training, and that is not being honest about what Aikido actually trains.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Andrew Green I think what he meant is that competitors fight differently than the average attacker. I've been swung on, pushed and grabbed more times than I can recall. It's exceptionally rare that the person has done so in a way that even remotely resembles the jabs and setups used by competitive athletes. Punches are almost always the classic over-committed overhand haymaker. I don't think I've ever had anyone throw a real jab. The grabs are, similarly, almost always of the sort that Aikidoka train against.
And, too, it seems to me that a lot of Aikido techniques rely on small joint manipulations that are either illegal under competition rules, or impractical while wearing gloves.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wait... what?

No, he is suggesting that Aikido trains for the idea that the attacker will be aggressive, rather than calculating about how they attack (throwing jabs, establishing a distance, etc.)

A style based in pacifist philosophy and trained with minimal resistance from uke and where the main attacks is the run across the mat and bop them on the head or grab the wrist?

No, a style based in pacifist philosophy, where some schools train with minimal resistance from uke etc. Not all schools train this way, and the better ones train with resistance and against people who know how to attack.

Aikido is a fine art, but like all arts it's practitioners need to be honest with themselves about what they are doing and training, and that is not being honest about what Aikido actually trains.
And how do you know he is not being honest with himself? Have you seen him train, trained with him, or watched videos from his school? What he claims he trains could very well be what he actually trains, and there's no legitimate reason for you to doubt that.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can fight however you want in mma. So if you want to throw terrible jabs,over committed strikes,and no real grappling. Then go buck wild.

I have recently been sparring a guy in boxing who only throws overhand rights pretty much. And doesn't ever seen to defend a punch.

So there really is all sorts out there.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wait... what?

No, you misunderstood my meaning. Dirty Dog and kempodisciple seemed to understand, and I agree with what they said. The uke (person receiving technique) in aikido is meant to be the committed in his aggression to the point where he does not anticipate that his attack can fail. In self defense situations it tends to be the case that attackers are angry and attack without considering their own safety. Attacks are less calculated and do not resemble what is seen in a sport competition where there is a back and forth exchange of energy.

I am not implying that aikido is better than MMA, just that its training is meant for a different situation in mind than competition.

In aiki training, the techniques change when the energy stops or shifts direction. Aiki skills do not force techniques on opponents as they are meant to fit into the spaces available as a result of the movement of the attacker. Traditional aikido attacks teach principles that must be explored at great length to be adequate for self-defense. It is the principle of the technique you rely on in a confrontation, not the "textbook example" that is usually seen in demonstration.

Latest Discussions