Thinking about getting into MMA.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
After a sparring session at my dojang with another BB, I decided that I would like to get into MMA, on an amateur level to see what it is like and to better round out my TKD. I have been doing TKD for almost 20 years now so I figured maybe it was time to try a new kind of fighting. Has any of my fellow KMAers entertained this notion themselves, and if so, what was the experience like?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After a sparring session at my dojang with another BB, I decided that I would like to get into MMA, on an amateur level to see what it is like and to better round out my TKD. I have been doing TKD for almost 20 years now so I figured maybe it was time to try a new kind of fighting. Has any of my fellow KMAers entertained this notion themselves, and if so, what was the experience like?

Do you have any grappling or Judo skills??? I have attended numerous amateur matches and that seems to be what they use alot of..Hey, go for it and keep us posted...

OP
CDKJudoka

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Do you have any grappling or Judo skills??? I have attended numerous amateur matches and that seems to be what they use alot of..Hey, go for it and keep us posted...

I'm a first kyu judoka, I wrestled a little in HS, and I am starting up BJJ lessons with Matt Serra's school here on LI on Wednesday to round out my newaza.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a good many MMA fighters who have TKD as their 'first art'. MMA is fun, there's no good to be honest looking to it to make a living as fighter or wanting to do it full time, only a very few make money from it and then not from the fights but the sponsorship, broadcasting etc that comes with being well known so as a hobby or a sport, MMA is great fun, it's physical chess designed to stretch your mind as well as your body!
It will stretch I think your TKD too as you find grappling moves in the forms that you hadn't suspected, I'd recommend Iain Abernethy's books and DVDs btw, they're called karate's grappling methods but work equally well for TKD. So go for it and enjoy!

OP
CDKJudoka

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will be discussing more with my sabumnim about it. My judo sensei is a shotokan yudansha so that could help as well. I am really looking to get into it to better round out what I know and to have fun. If I can make money doing it by getting really good then so be it, but my main focus is for the fun factor.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
you sound like you have a pretty well rounded skill set, especially compared to most amateurs. i'm sure you'll do just fine! i would recommend adding some boxing if possible. a lot of tkd people have a hard time guarding their head i've noticed. but if you normally spar allowing punches to the head you may not need it.

jf

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It'll sure be an eye-opener for you as it is for anyone. Few martial artists are ever hit hard in their training. Go for it!

OP
CDKJudoka

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
you sound like you have a pretty well rounded skill set, especially compared to most amateurs. i'm sure you'll do just fine! i would recommend adding some boxing if possible. a lot of tkd people have a hard time guarding their head i've noticed. but if you normally spar allowing punches to the head you may not need it.

jf

We spar including headshots, and one of the reason behind that is my instructor was also a kickboxer, so we work with a lot of hand combos as well as feet.

It'll sure be an eye-opener for you as it is for anyone. Few martial artists are ever hit hard in their training. Go for it!

I am looking forward to it. I didn't get into MA to tap people with my hands and feet, or to get tapped for that matter.

mozzandherb

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have thought long and hard about MMA. In 2003 I joined a Gracie school here in Ottawa, unfortunately I couldn't stay too long, but I did enjoy it. I love MMA I watch it all the time and it seems that the most common and well rounded fighters have experience in BJJ, wrestling and Muay Thai. Anyway, go for it and protect yourself

Latest Discussions